2000 Rinker 180 Bowrider Questions *Newbie*

midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
Ahoy There! 

***First time boat owner***

I am a new/proud owner of a used 2000 Rinker 180 Bowrider and have a few questions. 

1. Need a new prop as owner kept the old one.  What type of prop did the boat come with and what would you recommend for overall performance? I plan to do some tubing, waterskiing and cruising with the boat. 

2. I know the boat has a Mercury Mercruiser 3.0L, with Mercury Alpha One outdrive, but is there a standard equipment list or standard build list for the boat? I do not have any of the owners manuals or docs.

3. Where could i get replacement parts for the boat? i.e. new dash switches, gauges, lights, etc… I plan to restore and update some of the worn parts over the winter. 

4. What should I do to winterize the boat? I keep the boat in my garage but would like to winterize it. 

Many thanks for replies : ) 

Midweste

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

oh boy, that's a mouthful of questions.  First, welcome to the forum!  Congrats on your boat purchase!

I'll start backwards with #4, since it may be most important.  I'm assuming you have no fresh water system or head on board, so the engine is your main thing for concern.  This is the time of year I typically do my maintenance before winterizing.  Like changing engine oil, gear lube (outdrive oil), filters, lubrication.  To winterize, you will need to locate the engine drain plugs (usually blue).  Make sure you can loosen them first (when the engine is hot is not the time to figure this out).  You will need to warm your engine before running pink non-toxic antifreeze thru it, this will allow it to go past the thermostat.  I would recommend something like this:

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/camco-doityourself-boat-winterizing-p-3710.html

This will allow connection of a garden hose to run and warm up the engine.  Once you have it up to your normal temp (165 or 170 for raw water cooled, which you probably have), then shut the engine off, drain the block of the water (caution, it will be hot).  Then put the plugs back in and start it on the pink stuff and run about 5 gallons thru, until you see pink come out the exhaust.  From this point, some people drain with the plugs, some don't.

That's it in words.  Basically you need to remove any water that is in anything on the boat...so your bilge area, water tanks, (sinks, showers, heads, etc).

Q3, well, it really depends on specifically what you need.  Some of it you may be able to get here.  Other generic items can be bought at many places online.

Q2, generic manual originally came with the boat & Steve may be able to point you to those.  The engine manuals would be the most important and I believe can be found from Mercruiser.  (FYI, there is an impeller in your alpa drive that routinely needs replaced - it supplies water for the engine)

Not sure I can help with Q1, but someone here will.

Good luck and Welcome aboard!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Thanks Dream_Inn! 

I printed out the generic Rinker and Mercury Marine manuals and plan to winterize it this weekend. 

Found the blue engine drain plugs and I think I am set. 

Do you know where the transom drain plug is on my boat? 

Thanks!

Midweste

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

• nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    midweste said:
    Do you know where the transom drain plug is on my boat? 

Thanks!
    Midweste

It is on the outside of the boat, on the transom, directly below the outdrive. It is a square brass plug.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River