is there a better prop?

I am relatively new to boating and I just picked up a 2014 mtx extreme 200 that I love.. My question is this...My boat came with a high five prop and it works well but I would like to get more top speed so I was wondering if going to a 3 blade or 4 blade would help ?  And if so what are the downfalls of changing.. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also what kind of mph gains could I expect..

Comments

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    either a three or four will definitely get you more speed, given it's pitched right and has the right geometry..

the high five, according to some experts i've talked to on other websites, are not to be included into discussions about general prop characteristics- they are in a class all their own, for instance, the extra blade (or two) will not decrease RPM's such as an extra blade added or lost between a three and four blade... the pitch needed is more inline to a three or four blade and the dropping of pitch isn't somethign considered... in short terms: if a high five pitched in 21 gets you to your RPM range, expect a similar geometry 21p three blade to be similar.. the high five will be considerably slower, though, all agree to.. the bite, considerably more (less slippage), all agree to.

what engine are you running?

as far as economy, a general rule is the slowest you can go and still comfortably hold plane is your optimum cruising speed for economy- and the high five or a four blade will do that, generally, at a lower RPM (and forward speed) than a three blade..
  • kram925kram925 Member Posts: 9

the motor is a 4.3 220 hp

so if what I am reading is correct if I were to switch to a 3 blade and kept the same pitch I would gain mph if that is true how much ? and will I lose a lot of low end out of the hole???
    you'd rock-n-roll with a 21 pitch 14.25" 'turbo' style geometry three blade vented prop in stainless steel.. you'd get the hole shot needed for water sports but not that bites as hard as the high5, and have considerably more top end.. your cruising speed would move up, and your consumption down compared to the high5, but the 5 will be moving slower..   

thank you so much for the info.. one last question where is the best place to buy ....

thanks again for the info its hard to find someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to prop choice..

I'm high on the precision turbo prop because I went through a bunch trying to find the right one for my rig.. our boats are similar size and similar powered, so I feel pretty confident you'll like one of those on yours..

I bought mine off eBay, used but in perfect condition, (and dig this) for $40 bucks + $12 s&h.. flippin' $52 dollars... pretty good deal, no?

Keep your eyes open and you'll see them from time to time. :-)
  • mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    I agree with Drew on the Precision Turbo prop. I've also had good results with Michigan Wheel Apollo series stainless. Check out boatownersworld.com or iboats.com for retail pricing.

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guys are talking about "the" Precision Propellers they used to be based in Indiana. I always used their propellers as they were blue printed and balanced. In fact they were also known for "off" sizes. On one particularly demanding dial-in we got a 22" s.s. from them that was amazing. MT
  • mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Yup, that's the place MT.

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme