Options

Bow thruster or boating course

frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
In a past posting. I ask Infos on a bow thruster for my 300 express, I was quoted anywhere from 10,000$ to 15,000$ in Canada. We also looked at the Sideshift system the external bow thruster cost of the unit around 4500$ plus wirings, batteries, charger, so it would come close to 5500$ or more and I have to installed myself. Lately I talk to Joe Molinaro from EastCoast bowthruster he would installed a Vetus 55 model that would included the tunnel, dedicated Northstar AGM TPPL battery+ charging sytems,automatic battery switch,all cables,harness, joystick or touch panel control,parts and materials and labor for 7000$ U.S. I would need to bring my boat to a marina in Alexandria bay in N.Y. About two hours drive from Ottawa Canada. I have been reading a lot about the need of a bow thruster on a 30 feet boat with twin engines on this forum and others forums. Quite mix of opinions some said good investment other says better practice and practice or take a good boating course. I have found a private course by Craig Hamilton at boaters skill.ca in Toronto they would come to our marina for a full day for about 499$+ travelling fees. So compare to 70000$ it seems I could take that course many times. I would appreciate any comments on this matter. Paul

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go for the course. I'm sure a bow thruster would be handy, but with twins AND knowing your boat you can do just fine. Practice, practice, practice.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Agree with BD.  I owned a 310 for 6-7 years and with much practice, I was able to (& did) walk that thing sideways even on windy days.  I'm still practicing with my 400, but it does have the thruster.  It also has a lot more freeboard which makes it a bit tougher than my old 310.  Keep on practicing & you will have a lot of pride in your docking.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    If the instructor has specific experience with outdrives, I'd say do the training and learn the techniques for walking sideways, using pilings and so forth.  Then practice - a lot.  With twin outdrives, that boat is capable of doing just about anything you ask. 

And if you end up getting the bow thruster -- get the training anyway!  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Hello frenship, even though you should be able to get after market bow thrusters installed for around 8K I would agree that some instruction from a good Captain will be most helpful - and might even solve your needs. If you are boating on the Ottawa River or the Rideau Canal area near Ottawa thrusters or Axius are not as necessarey  as where I boat -  on the St. Lawrence. On the St. Lawrence, boat thrusters are really helpful and Axius is amazing. That's because I go in and out of so many small channels, different marinas and docking areas that are very, very tight. Boaters here are often subjected to significant wind and current and I can easily go where most other twin cruisers captains are just too nervous to go. With Axius I can get in those areas with ease. I have seen countless Captians whack docks and other boats. But, back to you I would also suggest you take the course. At $500 it should be a wise investment. Also, if you had to invest $10K =/- on thrusters you might not get your money back at re-sale. Better, in my opinion, to buy a used/new boat with the equipment you want instaled o.e.m.    P.S. Have you seen the 2013 EC 310 I traded in to Len's Cove ? (1-888-272-2581) www.lenscove.com   Now THAT boat would take you anywhere, in any wind or current (within reason) with two fingers on the joystick. It is , hands down, the best equipped 310 anywhere for (asking price) 139K Good Luck! MT
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't take the bow thruster to another boat. You can transfer your training to another boat. Take the course.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Rinkerbuoy62Rinkerbuoy62 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    You can't take the bow thruster to another boat. You can transfer your training to another boat. Take the course.

No kidding... This kind of relates to cars that park themselves. If the system fails, and they will, what will you do?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013

Hey RB 62. You are correct in that any captain who doesn't have a plan B for serious issues is not too bright. I am pretty decent now with two throttles, particularly when they are attached to gas sterndrives with B3s. The Axius system had 25,000 hours on it before general release (with no failures - some glitches to be sure - but no failures) and it has 3 redundant computer systems on it. Its chance of failure would be about the same as both shift cables breaking at the same time - pretty close to zero. Of course, there could be an electrical failure of the entire boat's wiring but that would be no worse on Axius than straight throttles. I have used straight throttles, the boat assist linked thrusters (fore and aft) found on Meridians and Carvers and Mercury's Axius System. If you can afford the Axius you will have, in my opinion, the best guidance system available - by far - to "regular" boaters. 15 minutes with this system on a decent sized cruiser, in a tight marina or docking on a windy day and there would be no argument from anyone. I have said it before a number of times but I can face the stern when backing into a tight spot on a windy day and with two fingers on the joystick (no puns please) put the boat in reverse, move it sideways and correct for yaw all at the same time. While, I may have to focus while doing that more than some real good captains on this list, at least I can get it done without swapping paint and without any fear whatsoever. Best of all the Admiral wants to practice docking this spring with our new 2014 Rinker EC 360 and seeing the look on her face when she whips that big 360 into a tight slip will be priceless to me! .....and RB62 - that, to me, - is what boating is all about - having FUN!  P.S. I have A/C in my car and heated seats too - ;-) MT

• Options
    gvigrassgvigrass Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    No substitute for experience and practice.  Equipment can fail......no matter what, and when that happens you have....you!!  The equipment becomes a bonus!!