truck rental?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a maybe deal pending in TX on a boat and the vehicle I had lined up to borrow will probably  not be available- I looked at the normal national truck rental places and no towing for personal use....have to call Hertz tomorrow as I don't see that req on the their site- I assume it will be a problem, anyone been able to rent like this?One way to Orlando area to boot!

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hertz will not do it either, I'm gold with them and no dice.  I think you need to be looking at Penske Truck rental or another business/commercial type rental.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    2 1/2 yrs ago I sold a 26' sailboat that weighed in a 5500lbs (trailer and all) to a guy who trailered it 3400mi from Sarasota to Seattle. He rented a U-haul 3/4ton van that had a 2" ball for towing and changed the ball to a 2 5/16 just like Al said his guy did. 3400mi later he was home. I personally prepped the trailer/hubs/tires and he had no issues. The truck was a nearly a nearly new Ford van that seemed to do ok.

If it's a 270 you're towing just know that it's significantly heavier (we weigh in at 10,500 on the trailer fuel n gear) and imho it'd be pushing a 3/4 ton truck to it's limit on such a long haul. I have a 3/4 ton 6ltr gas Suburban with a giant trans cooler for ours and it'd be a gamble to pull ours all day for a number of days at hwy speed w/o breaking something. A 1ton truck should be fine.

Check your insurance coverage carefully too. I think it was Drew who had a good point about claims adjusters aggressively looking for loopholes. Good luck, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and it needs to be set up with a brake controller as well...trying to confirm if it has electric or surge brakes....thanks for the suggestions... I was looking at some of the bigger trucks but they won't have the brake controller will they? Looks like  if your a business hertz will rent a 250 or 350 and they are 10000 min towing...brother has a business so maybe.....
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you check out uship.com and bid it out.. suck down some flaming Dr peppers and beer backs while you wait.. :-). A pro can do it cheaper than you can using that site.
    My 3/4 would have its way with anything under 16k# east of the Rockies.. the stock controller is better than the add ons I've used in the past..

Uship could likely do it for no more than $2k, including insurance, fuel, and dockside or curbside delivery.. I'd bid it just to see, and set a $1500 reserve on it.. $1500 is just fuel both directions in diverse p/u.. I get 19~21mpgs empty on highway, and likely 8~12mpgs with ~15k# behind me.. how many miles? Gotta be 1200 or so, huh?
    * Diesel pick up.. my phone thinks that kinda crap is funny..
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did I miss on the diesel pu?

Al, He was shopping a deal on a FV270 in Texas that had a tandem axle trailer under it.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
    I just listed it on uship....all things considered, this may be my best option..wonder how the insurance works with them? I will let you all know what I learn, I'm sure at some point most of us with any type of boat get in a jam sometime.....smaller boats you can borrow you buddies pickup, not on this beast!
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diverse = diesel. Got to love auto correct sometimes! lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Some words stump me, but I swear autocorrect causes me more issues than before it existed.. :-)

Ras: make sure your listing requires insurance/bond.. you'll get that thing shipped cheap using uship.
    Ras, one more thing: make sure listing includes need for insur/bond AND permits.. don't forget the permits.. :-)
    so far got a quote for 1350...I asked the shipper about insurance and waiting for a reply....
    That's cheaper than fuel alone... Sweet!!!! :-)
    There is room for you in the blue oval... Gubberment mohtards should join hoffa, after selling their block and rotating assembly contracts to merc, that is..
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Wow, I can't believe the 350 is going??  I've had 350s in everything!  heck, I even have one in my 1937 Ford Pickup! ;)

It'll be interesting to see Merc's small block. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Not a fan of the V10. We have them at work and always seem underpowered and overfueled. Stick with a V8.

the whole premise behind the v10 baffles me.. if you're going to re-engineer and slap 2 cylinders on a block designed originally as a v8, why in the world don't you address the problems with it? the bolts that marry the head to block were undersized, and took to floating.. then, the flippin' spark plugs would literally blow out of the heads, all the while the things stroke is limited by a split pin crank and balance shafts, with 72* firing range, to quell the balance issues; read: de-tuned to keep it in one piece..

i get the modular design allows for more efficient production, but man- if you're building to compete, why in the world won't you truly design an engine instead of carving up what already exists?

the Europeans and Japanese make engines designed for boost, instead of boosting an engine designed for natural aspiration.. we could likely take a cue from them in that one regard.. maybe not a boosted engine, per say, but start fresh with an engine designed to flow air and produce ponies with less effort..

back in the day, tolerances and material kept the makers from doing this and maintaining production (keeping $$$ down).. and they spit out loosy-goosey engines.. then, tolerances and materials improved.. instead of going back to the drawing board, they simply improved existing platforms.. if they would have started fresh instead, we'd have some ridiculously economic (fuel usage) engines capable of producing serious power..

it sucks that we can take a 60's production big block, work it over in our garages, and produce an engine that can match anything in production today.. it would cost us a bit to do so, but it can be done.. something is wrong with that, no? 

Ferrari has an engine designed from the ground up for multiple displacement, and true multiple stages.. the camshaft has a motor on the end of it that slides it forward and aft, and the lobes have a compound angle ground in that increases the lift and duration of existing valve train, as well as sliding under and actuating an entirely auxiliary set of push rods/rockers/valves.. it's flippin' brilliant.. it allows a tiny (American standards) displaced engine to move the air equivalent of a tricked out small block, and doesn't require the RPM's to do so.... though, that thing can spin up, too, moving thrice the air as a small block, and providing power that can't be matched w/o boosting it.

I'm interested in direct injection with piezoelectric injectors.. they operate QUICKLY, and can provide up to four injections per stroke.. a gasser, once it compresses the air/fuel mix and fires it could benefit from a smaller, later injection on the down-stroke to keep full pressure on the piston face until the end of the mechanical stroke.. our hauling engines could benefit from the added torque at low RPM's that would give.. with advances in EGR, any lost a:f can be reintroduced to get another burn out of it..

of course, to take advantage of all that, the engine will have to be designed from the grounf up with those intentions.. and that cost $$$ it would take several years in production to re-collect... and stock holders won't take a shine to that.. so, we're kinda stuck.. 
    v10's, no matter who makes them, have an issue with balance for whatever reasons.. it's my understanding that you can use balance shafts, use seriously retarded spark/ignition timing, and keep compressions low enough not to allow a single pre-det to break stuff, and get some good life out of the thing.. that is pretty much what ford has done with the triton v10 3v.. the humorous thing about it, though, is after you do all of that, you could have built a big block v8 to produce the same power with not near as much cost.

the viper v10 was built to produce power, and shouldn't be confused with the mopar magnum v10.. it is a power monster, but as with most high performance mills, it ain't gonna last a huge amount of time... there is a reason mopar moved away from it and back to the SRT Hemi.. they can get as much power out of the dressed hemi and gain reliability..