Options

Dock rash repair advice

midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
Hello,

I plan on repairing some chips and dings on my boat caused by the previous owner. What would you recommend to fix these spots?

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod

I've used spectrum color in the past with great results.  The key is proper sanding afterwards.  I had about a dozen on my current boat, from previous owner, and had someone professional take care of it.

I don't think you can go wrong with spectrum if you take your time.  Get the premixed & it should match real well (might be a tad off depending on sun fade).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks Dream_Inn

Always good advice on this site!!

The previous owner had it tied to his houseboat during the week and it got beat up in a few spots. Nothing too bad or rotted out though. Just little annoying chips and scratches.

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Hi, From your picture some scraps look a bit deep. If you did not do gelcoat before, I would suggest that you read about it. Gelcoat will not fill those scrapes it is not a filler you would need to fill those with a marine filler 3M has some. Then finish it up with gelcoat. Paul
  • Options
    Thanks Frenchship - I'll research the filler from 3M

• Options
    Thanks Al, I've done some minor paint/body work years ago but this doesn't sound too tough.

• Options
    habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
    Hi Midweste, you can also try spectrum gel coat paste patch, I used it with great result! Here is the link to a previous discussion on it and a repair I did.
    hope this helps!
  • Options
    Thanks H68!
    You did a great job on your rig.