Options

Best way to clean the outdrive

Hey everyone,

What are the best methods to clean a Merc outdrive? I see used boats for sale that have outdrives that look brand new.
What's the secret sauce? What do you use?

Thanks for your replies :D

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use The Works toilet bowl cleaner.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Thanks guys

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    Yep, I agree with Al.  Then keep it on a lift.  I wax mine yearly and spray paint the skeg (because I tend to brush it in some sand sometimes).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    My outdrive had built up deposits that made the unit look pretty crusty. I use a product called SR5 from Ritec/Clearshield (I am a Clearshield applicator-its used primarily on shower enclosures). The SR5 can be applied to glass to remove scale build up from inorganic contaminants before applying Clearshield. I figured, why not try it on my outdrive? It worked beautifully! Drive looks like new. I used a small mist type sprayer to apply SR5 then used several different stiff brushes to get into all the nooks and broad areas, then hosed off with fresh water. Check local glass companies to see if any are Clearshield dealers. They should have SR5, or for really difficult deposits, there is also SR10.
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    acid on a rag (gloves!) works great on the drive and prop... hardware store, cleaning supplies isle...
  • Options
    midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    thanks guys! Lots of good info

• Options
    ShaunShaun Member Posts: 30 ✭✭

Spray on a product called Slimy Grimy and power wash it off. Then hand wash it with a Wash & Wax car cleaner.Then apply wax and buff. Outdrive looks brand new again.

• Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    Used to be snob of was what to use many years ago. Now Works dies the trick. Same thing. If you read the Ingredients toilet bowl cleaner has acid in it. Just be careful like Al said and like posted wear gloves.

• Options
    diverdan50diverdan50 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    How can I get in to all the nooks and crannies of my Volvo Penta DuoProp outdrive to clean off the barnacles, especially the worm type!  Almost impossible to get in the small spaces.
  • Options
    wm61356wm61356 Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    I spray my drives liberally with CLR cleaner, scrub with a brush, and rinse with water. Takes off every thing except the paint and decals...even mineral deposits from the lake water. Then I apply a coat or two of marine wax.