Post your favorite alcoholic beverage you like to imbibe…..

midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
Ahoy-Hoy Mateys!

What is your favorite alcoholic drink? Do you have a favorite warm/cold weather drink? Please share your faves….

Here is a short list of my favorites….
Spiced Rum - 
1. BLACK ROBERTS - Hands down my favorite spiced rum. Pour it over a rocks glass of ice, add a splash of Coca-Cola and your good!
2. Pyrat XO Reserve - Good all around rum I enjoy on the rocks or as a mixer with Coca-Cola or Ginger Ale
3. Captain Morgans - Available at most all drinking establishments… My old standby when I go out to drink
4. Sailor Jerry - Very good all around rum by itself or mixed.
Going to try the Kraken spiced rum very soon….
Brazillian Rum - 
1. CACHACA 51 - Perfect for a nice Caipirinha! (The national cocktail of Brazil) 
BEER - 
1. Leffe Blond - Belgian Abbey Pale Ale (6.6%) - Easy drinking and smooth
2. Chimay - Belgian Trappist beer available in Red (Premier 7%) Blue (Grande Reserve 9%) and Chimay Triple (Cinq Cents 8%)
3. Franziskaner Hefe-Weiss Dunkel -  German Dunkel with some interesting flavors
4. KWAK - Excellent Belgian Strong Pale Ale (8.4%) Great beer that has an interesting laboratory style beaker glass with wooden holder 
5. Yuengling Lager - My go-to beer whilst doing around the house projects. 

Cold Weather - Gallon of warm fresh apple cider mixed with RUM!!!

Looking forward to your responses…. 

Midweste 

\:D/

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

Comments

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Impressive list. My tastes aren't so complex and seem to change over time. We had a Tequila phase a few years ago but we survived that. :D

We've been through many of your listed rums but have simply come back to the Captain. Kraken and Sailor Jerry always hurt me the next day, as do most dark or even spiced rums. Not necessarily from over indulging but just general indigestion and overall achyness. A tall glass of Captain Morgan on the rocks with just a splash of Coke and a twist of lime is a nice afternoon lift that doesn't punish me the next day.

As for beers, it's not that complicated either. Lite beer is just wrong and dark beer is so filling I reach a point that it's like eating a huge meal. Sam Adams Boston lager chilled to the extreme is a nice middle ground on a hot day and seems to be the brew of the month right now. I really haven't entered the craft beer craze that's sweeping the country with all the fruity/wheat/trendy flavors but we certainly have our share of distilleries popping up down here.

Keepin' it straight forward I guess. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • SeaHareSeaHare Member Posts: 189 ✭✭✭

Budlight

Moonshine

01 FV 310, 5.7s carbed, B3s
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Labatt Blue at the dock. While boating: Labatt NA or water. :D

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Grey Goose and Pineapple with a splash of cran.
    Frozen Mudslides (ofcourse using the Rinker blender.....LOL)
    Stoli Razz with sprite and splash of cran.
    Capt Morgan private stock with Coke and lime.
    This is just to name a few......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    midweste said:

Spiced Rum - 
    3. Captain Morgans - Available at most all drinking establishments… My old standby when I go out to drink
    Brazillian Rum - 
    1. CACHACA 51 - Perfect for a nice Caipirinha! (The national cocktail of Brazil) 
    BEER - 
    2. Chimay - Belgian Trappist beer available in Red (Premier 7%) Blue (Grande Reserve 9%) and Chimay Triple (Cinq Cents 8%)
    Cold Weather - Gallon of warm fresh apple cider mixed with RUM!!!

Midweste, we share similar taste. I had a cipirinha with 51 just last night! Not the best cachaca but anything better is hard to get state-side.

as an alternative to the Chimay, try Brooklyn Brewry's Local 1 and Local 2 (dubble and tripple respectively). IMO better than Chimay, less expensive, and made in the USA!

Also, try Weihenstephan Hefeweizen. Made by the oldest brewry in the world and has some great flavors...

warm cider, rum and a cinamon stick. mmmmm.....

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a tricky subject, and totally dependent on intentions.. I break them into sippers mixed, sipper straight, and good ol' barley pops...

If I'm 'fire for effect on my position- I say again, fire for effect; It's been a lovely durn war, gents...out", this is the ticket:

Cruzan Confusion:
    every dang flavor of Cruzan rum, in two ounces each, in a glass big enough to hold them (22oz at least)... you are a MAN if you can hold down five of these...

Prairie Wildfire:
    big boy shot of Padron, with a healthy splash of tabasco or texas pete floating the bottom like a lava lamp..

El Presidente Dominican beer... the real Dominican sort is over 10%.. I found this out by accident on a very hot afternoon and whilst being incredibly thirsty.... they come in huge longneck style bottles likely 32oz or so, and I downed two of them in a few minutes... the remainder of the evening was a blur, but I was apparently the star of the show at a Puerto Plata disco.... glory be to allah this was before facebook and youtube..

relaxing:

-Cuba Libra w/ spiced dark rum, or a good Pinot Noir...

-seasonal, actually... winter: Pappy Van Winkle, summer: Capt Morgan spiced on rocks.

-summer: Stella Artois winter: best black and tan ever: St. Peters Irish Cream Stout + Harp Lager, over the turtle, of course..

• Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    I guess I just don't care to adulterate the taste of my libations that much, so it's gin martinis for me. Bombay Sapphire, a splash of dry vermouth and a couple olives. Can be hazardous though. I try to abide by this rule: Martinis are like women's breasts-one is not enough, and three is too many! Gin & tonic with a generous squeeze of lime juice is wonderfully refreshing on a hot day. I also like a good single barrel, small batch 10 - 15 year old Kentucky bourbon, neat, or just a single cube which sometimes helps to open up the bouquet. A good Cabernet Sauvignon generally is present when I prepare something special for din din, which is just about every night - Honey Bunny is averse to the galley. I sometimes am in the mood for a nice Indian Pale Ale, brand doesn't really matter.
  • BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    My Choices

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
    DANG, Babyboomer, being in the land of bourbon, I figured you'd **** up some pappy!!! My only gripe with pappy is that sometimes, and likely depending on what I've eaten, it seems a touch too smoky, if you can follow that.

My gal bough me a fifth of the 23yo last year.. I can't find any this year.. maybe it has to do with the several hundred cases stolen from the distillery? :-)

...funny or sad... you decide linked here..
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Well well, my favorite subject.  I guess I drink whatever anyone is offering. ;)

What I make to drink?  Mai Tai's is my specialty.  A couple during a hot day over ice is great.  I've gotten addicted this summer by a dock neighbor from Trinidad, on their rum.  It just creeps up on me too fast.  The last year or so I've drank the Bud lime-a-rita's or straw-ber-ritas.  (8% also creeps up after a half doxen)

I also like Amarreto & coke as a nice drink in the evenings or red wine.

In the winter, some good sipperss like creamy cruzan rum on the rocks (already had some last weekend)

I've also been known to just "mix" something up, using triple sec, rums, juices that are around, splash of maybe amarreto.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    edited November 2013
    DANG, Babyboomer, being in the land of bourbon, I figured you'd **** up some pappy!!! My only gripe with pappy is that sometimes, and likely depending on what I've eaten, it seems a touch too smoky, if you can follow that.

My gal bough me a fifth of the 23yo last year.. I can't find any this year.. maybe it has to do with the several hundred cases stolen from the distillery? :-)

...funny or sad... you decide linked here..
    I'm more of a beer love and the best beer is COLD :-) But in Bourbon Woodford Reserve is nice That's what Churchill Down uses

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I drink Canadian Club Whiskey with Schwepp's Diet Ginger Ale.  Plenty of ice.  No sugar, no caffeine, plenty of fluid, and no hangover.  Good combination.  I find them refreshing during the warm months.  Of course, I drink them in the cold months as well.  When I am forced to actually go out.....I will usually order a Bailey's on the rocks and just sip it.  Duggan's Irish Cream after snow blowing or a long motorcycle ride always seals the deal.  

Wife is on a Tangueray and Schwepp's Diet Tonic Water w/lime kick.  Tastes like Fresca to me, and I never liked Fresca.  

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
    NO, NO, NO, my friend! Fresca is Grapefuit flavored and doesn't have the slight astringency of tonic from the presence of quinine. Schwepps diet tonic is what I use as well. Tastes better than the others, IMO, and the diet is less sweet than the regular & no calories! Plus, you're warding off two maladies by having a couple G&Ts every day.... Quinine will prevent malaria, and the lime juice gives you vitaminC so you don't get scurvy! Two conditions every sailor has to guard against!
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glass said : Your'e warding off two Maladies....Like a good sailor.

Reason enough for me to add :D

you're warding off two maladies by having a couple G&Ts every day - See more at: http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1652/post-your-favorite-alcoholic-beverage-you-like-to-imbibe#latest

you're warding off two maladies by having a couple G&Ts every day - See more at: http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1652/post-your-favorite-alcoholic-beverage-you-like-to-imbibe#latestYo
    you're warding off two maladies by having a couple G&Ts every day - See more at: http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/1652/post-your-favorite-alcoholic-beverage-you-like-to-imbibe#latest
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • jmoen438jmoen438 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Patron Marguerita or a cold Yuengling (when I have it). Got some private stock apple pie moonshine last year to kick off boat season, ummm tis tasty. Although Drew, I am intrigued by the Prairie Wildfire, may have to try that.

the wildfire isn't near as gross as it sounds.. the heat takes the bite from the cactus, and the cactus takes the twang out of the heat... its a strange mix that works out, and that you wouldn't expect..

sorta like dates that have had the pit removed, replaced with feta cheese, then wrapped in bacon and broiled.. sounds absolutely disgusting, but must be tried...  

Drew, I concur with your assessment of the bacon wrapped dates! We serve these as appetizers at dinner parties. We use blue cheese, though. I have yet to try bacon flavored vodka, but a friend was recently telling me about a bacon bloody mary, with a strip of bacon in it. I gotta try that!