Options

Priming The A/C

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I have never had to prime my A/C as it has worked every year just by turning it on. However, this year I had the boat pulled to service the outdrives, check the bottom paint and replace the anodes. Pretty sure I lost the prime since the boat was on the hard. How do I prime it in the spring? Anything else that might need attention since I had it pulled?

Thanks,

Hamdog (2005 342)

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go through this every year. Open the thru hull valve, start the A/C, unscrew the strainer a bit to let the air out and water in as the pump runs, then resnug.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    A very simple way is to hit the output thru-hull with a wetvac.  Whenever I pull the boat for a polish or whatever, I just lean over at the dock and put the end of the hose on the thru hull with the a/c on.  a couple seconds and viola.  My strainer is under our bed, which is more work to move than getting my chunky butt back up off the deck.   :D
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a long reach on a 342 to the output thru hull, unless you are lucky to have floating docks.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    gslpro - That's s-m-a-r-t ! :-) MT
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I have also heard for those with generators, get up onto plane with the genny on, and then engage the a/c.  Force of the water will assist in the priming, but I have never tried this as I am genny-less.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Well, being I keep my boat on a lift, I end up a few times a year forgetting to close the seacock before lifting my boat (which is another thing you can do before you put your boat on land).  There are several things that work, which some have already been listed.  Opening the strainer doesn't always seem to work for me, shop vac does....But I usually just put the hose on the outlet and squirt water in.  Going for a ride always gets the water in there.  No need to run the genny & AC, the force of the water will do just fine.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭

From a stationary dock , 5 feet off the water , I taped my hose [with elec tape ]  to a boat hook to backfill into the thru hull outlet.  As Gary said; 2 or 3 seconds and works.