Options

Trailering and tieing down 246.

I am new to this forum and a new boater. I bought a 2000 246 this fall and other than a test drive, have not used it yet. I am experienced in trailering, but the marina operator said that he has never tied down the boat itself, other than bow trailer hookup. This makes me nervous and is his advice correct?

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    kyoshikyoshi Member Posts: 5

Thanks , I appreciate the advice. I store the boat in an insulated shed. I will get straps for the stern before spring trailering.

Thanks again

• Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    May want to consider lower unit trailering clips: http://www.amazon.com/T-H-MARINE-SUPPLIES-TRAILERING/dp/B00144B1WW/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t I've been trailering boats for about 28 years and have always had a set of the clips just in case. They not only take the stress off the hydraulic system when trailering, but they also prevent your drive from scraping the pavement in the event that the hydraulic system were to fail.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    frodo, great suggestion! I have used trailering clips on many boats - usually the heavier bravo1s but clips are great for hauling any boat - particularly if the trip will be long or over bumpy roads. As you know, once the clips are snapped onto the trim ram ss arms you can "touch" the trim button to take the load off the trim lines, rams and pump and let the clip carry the load. In fact many of my friends store their boats using clips. Several styles of clips can be trimmed in length to fit various ram arm lengths. :-) MT