Options

Bravo III Prop Pitch

As part of my winterization package through my marina it includes a prop servicing. The invoice came back today and my Bravo III props (pair) came back refurbished with a 22 pitch. Is this correct? Would you recommend anything different? Similar to other folks writing, my EC 250 has a rough time getting on a plane with a full boat. Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They changed your props without asking?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    No I asked for them to be tuned, however I read many suggestions on appropriate pitch?
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez jkein, I've been around a long time and never heard of a winterization package including a prop servicing other than removal greasing of the splines with 101 or something and re-installation. Were they damaged? What did they do - polish them, balance them? Doing any kind of repair to a ss prop set is pretty expensive (like pitch change, cupping etc) because ss props are really strong and way harder to work with. Do you trust the marina? Did you get the same set back? An older set? Not trying to be negative, but I have a lot of questions on that one. Here is where I am coming from. The Admiral's former boss (a two star general ) bought an expensive used boat. It was put into the water by the marina he bought it at and stored it at. One of the drives didn't seem to be working as well as it had the previous summer. He asked me if I would have a look at it. In my opinion it didn't look the same "year" as its twin, in fact no where near the same year. I asked him for the bill of sale for his boat. Guess what, the serial number on that drive didn't match the serial number on the drive from the marina's bill of sale the year before. Can you guess what we were thinking?. The marina said it was just a clerical mistake. I didn't accuse them of anything but I asked them if the shoe was on the other foot what would they think? It must have also crossed their minds that this would make for some pretty disturbing comments. They repaired the drive but the whole experience added to my paranoia regarding questionable business practices. You/we need some more info. MT
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree.  Taking the props off to regrease the splines is good.  But have them scanned and worked on is expensive even without 'major' work.  I paid about $700 a few years ago to get two pairs of B-III props scanned and tuned.  You cannot change the pitch on the B-III props by reworking.

Correct pitch is a mix of your WOT when in the water and trimmed out, then you can think about pitch change to get the RPM correct.  Just so you know a set of B-III props are $$$ new or even used.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    This is the invoice from the prop shop (however its $0 as part of other services rendered). "Prop shop charge for servicing props - set of Bravo III 22 pitch Sales Tax 2 @ 235.00 plus 6.25% 470.00 0.00" Maybe I'm reading the invoice wrong but I just cut/paste. However I appreciate everyone's concern and it gives me something to review.