Options

black water disposal

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well, have been really wondering about the water systems on these types of boats...assume we have "black water" tank only and it's about the same capacity as the fresh water tank.  I don't think Rinker took beer into account when they came up with the figures.  Anyway, other than when its full, how often to you pump it out? I was reading an earlier post by Tiki on a filter he came up with...had not given all this stuff much thought! Pump it every time you go out and the can is used? clean out the tank? What the heck do I do with all this crap! I don't want to dump it...are all the 270's standard with necessary tanks/valves for pump out? Does the gray water also go to the same tank or just out the boat as I have read some boats do? What about the fresh water? How long do you leave it in there?  Assume you don't really want to drink it but just for washing etc?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The filter is a big orange filter, it keeps the vent odor from stinking out everyone. lol. Grey water goes overboard, toilet into the holding tank. You need to watch your holding tank level to know when to pump out.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod

Ras, there are usually pump out stations at the local marina fuel docks.  I do highly suggest either buying or making your own filter.  Otherwise you will be pumping every time you use it.  As far as when to pump, many opinions here, but for sure by 2/3rd full or so.  If you trailer and take it home, well I do know people have concocted hoses from wet vacs to pull it and then dump into their septic.

As said, other "grey" water goes overboard.  The more you use the boat, the more you will use the sink(s)/shower(s).  & the more you use that water, the cleaner it will stay.  I do empty my water tank at the end of every weekend.  & yes, I do drink that water and my ice maker uses it too. (I've done this process on my 310 & 240 as well over the years)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    do you have to treat the water with anything to make sure there is no funk in the tank like a bacteria or something????
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wet vac black water extraction??!! Wow that's VERY hard core. We had used smaller 5gal carry on/off porta pottis on smaller boats for years but even that is a bit of a chore, but not too bad.

Like any good navigator planning a route for your trip, part of your weekend float plan needs to include/end with where to pump out and making a call ahead to confirm cost and that eqt is working. Only once did I run into 2 marinas in a row that had eqt failures on the same day which propmted me to try the wet vac idea after trailering home. My big vac was an absolute tempest of HORRID green fumes and sloshing hazardous waste. OMG NEVER again.  :-& My vac actually died from the abuse shortly afterward, R.I.P. It was a hideous death.

Ahh the subtle joy of the unspoken chore.

The "filter" we keep mentioning is solely to filter the black water tank VENT fumes from gassing your guests every time waste is pumped INTO the tank displacing the air. Suffice to say that it ain't pretty w/o a simple carbon filter on the vent hose. DIY filters are easily found on the net and easily built ($20), or just search for one called a "big orange Filter" and shell out one boat unit ($100+)

Another filter might/should be on the fresh water supply tank. Also, regularly treating your fresh water supply is a necessity and volumes have been written on how to keep Montezuma's Revenge from afflicting your crew because you let crud grow in your fresh water. It's perfectly safe to use for just about anything if maintained correctly. Lots to learn I guess most of us take these things for granted. Good luck. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    oh I have so much to learn...you have no idea.  I'm going to get this boat and know how to start it up and that's about it.  I have a 20' Tahoe bowrider and have never stepped foot on a boat like this...yes, so much to learn......
  • Options
    it is an I/O but that's about as close a comparison I can get other than the both float and go voom voom!
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    This talk makes me happy I dont have a "grey" water tank (the cockpit sink drains overboard). I do have a porta-potty with a pump out feature, but noone's even used it yet. I think #2 should be disallowed on a boat. :-O
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    do the down below sink and shower also go overboard or into the black water tank?
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    I thought the shower goes into the holding tank and not overboard.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    In a 270 and most larger boats the shower drains into a separate shower sump that has it's own bilge pump and pumps overboard. It's usually a problematic PIA...but it still goes overboard, along with all the sinks.

Black water is usually for just the head. A pumpout really isn't a big deal and a problem free head is really convenient after a night of rum and Burritos.....hence the carbon vent filter.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    We get one freebie in massachusetts that is great. My boat is docked at our house & the harbor master will come with his pump out boat to our house & pump it for free! All we do is call on Monday & it is done by Friday. I don't even have to be there. We've had it done for 2 years now, since we bought our rinker. At the end of the first season, I tracked him down to offer a tip & despite my insistence, he wouldn't even accept it!
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Up here in the inland waters of New England, it is illegal to let grey water go overboard.  Main reason is that people use soap with the phosphates in it.  And, I think it is gross anyways.  I was at a sandbar and saw what I can only figure was someone brushing their teeth in the cuddy of a boat, and pink ooze came out the side of their boat.  Really??  Disgusting.  

Everything goes into the tank, and gets pumped out when we start to list too much, but usually at 1/2 tank.

A note on flushing the water systems.  If you want to dump the fresh water out of the tank, use the rear shower wand.  It can go into the lake/ocean without filling up your dump tank.  Then, you can refill with fresh water when empty.  You will still need to purge what is in your water lines if you want really fresh, but a gallon is better than many gallons.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    thanks all...so much to learn! And all these things have pumps and stuff to go wrong...well, guess it will keep me from hanging out at the pool hall with my spare time!
  • Options
    RY, Don't deflate his pre-boat euphoria. You just can't appreciate that acronym until you've owned one for a while. :D
  • Options
    It's all part of the learning process.  We talk in 'boat units' when discussing costs 1bu = $100.  makes it sound better to the wife.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    yep, I get it.....this will be the third boat I've owned.....a bass boat with a 150 Merc many years ago that I rebuilt in a tent in my back yard, a Tahoe 3.0L I am presently trying to sell and now the beast....had pretty good luck with the Tahoe other than regular maintenance type stuff but we don't use it a lot and keep it in my garage.  This one will be a whole new animal for sure.....
  • Options

Ras, by the sound of it, this could be the first of many cruisers for you! ;)   Once you can handle the Sh*t, you can handle anything!  & when you start spending 10 nights at a time on it (we began that 2 times a year on a 24' with two small kids - actually in diapers), you will be making good use of that black tank. 

Can't wait to hear about your good times, which you will have plenty!

:)>-

• Options
    how long can you leave the bad stuff in before you should pump it out? We were discussing this in the office today....
  • Options
    I usually pump it before I put the boat up at the end of the weekend. Leaving waste in it longterm as a general rule really, REALLY stinks (errk pun intended) :D .

Pumped, flushed with fresh water, re-pumped, then treated with fresh tank treatment keeps ours nice enough to stick your nose right on the vent....... although that hasn't happened, but I keep asking my crew to check it and they refuse. Go figure. :D Mike
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    I have a strict no solids rule, and most use the large community toilet we are floating in while drinking. So
    Pump out usually happens twice a season
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I usually pump out at half tank, or the first opportunity that is convenient.  Only reason I pump out at half tank, is that it is inevitable that you will use it more after the pump out is closed and start nearing the full mark.  No rules about what goes in it on my boat, except only 1-ply paper.  Charmin clogs the crap out of it...so you'll have to deal with the 1-ply.  I have a Big Orange filter, and never get a smell from the tank.  Need a carbon filter of some sorts to prevent this.  Also, I hate listing to starboard because of a tank too full, so that is my other "when to pump". 
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number 1 rule of the boat is there is no number 2 on the boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    edited June 2014

Wow!  I could never imagine no #2.  That would mean you aren't boating more than a couple hours at a time (or holding it often), especially with a family of 4.   Only rule I have, if you didn't eat it, it doesn't go down.  No exceptions!  Yes, we use the nice soft TP.  Love it, and it goes in the trash can in the head.  When do we pump out, well, either when we are out of fuel (get free ones, if you can call it that, with my fuel bill), when we go past a free city one, or if it is 2/3rd full.  With a 45 gal tank, it has been up to 2 months before.  But as others mentioned, I have my homemade filter and no stinking...just drinking!

Oh, and just to add, this was our rule in previous smaller boats too (24' and 31'), but we pumped in the smaller one at the end of the weekend (was a porta pot).

• Options

Yeah..no #2 means you are in slip all the time and can can make the walk (run).  lol  If it didn't come out of you or off the marine TP roll, it does not go in.  My slip mate had the handy chore of unclogging his system from tampons..

I pump out every ~2 weeks or so, always when refueling ('free' at my home port) or after long weekends. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I need to clarify... On the three rivers in Pittsburgh, we only do day trips on the boat. When we overnight, we are in our slip at the marina. I am sure that there would be different "rules" if we were away from the slip for 2 or 3 days.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That or a lot of rowig to shore! :-) MT
  • Options
    good comments all, that's kind of what I thought although I do need to come up with the filter.  So far, our overnights have been in a slip at a state park which happens to have REALLY nice showers and bath rooms but we are still trying to figure out all this stuff....and I just finished the service on the genny with new oil, impeller and plugs but still need to do the fuel filter but it runs really sweet so I'm not to worried about that- only has a hundred hours or so on it......thanks for the input. My tank is about full and so far have gone along with the rule number one, no number 2 but on the hook it will be different...thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

I think my son intentionally does not poop a couple days before the boat just so he can clog it and laugh at dear old dad gagging while I operate on the head..  Its impressively disgusting what my 5 year old puts in that thing.  I now have arm length gloves, goggles, and a skinny wire fish to get that thing back up and running quickly.  In the same token I'm equally impressed what doesn't clog the vacuflush system I have.

We are at our boat a lot and #2 is inevitable.  We have a 2 week trip coming up where we will be under anchor or on a mooring most of it.  I don't think the fam, or surrounding boats, would like the hang it off the swim platform rule.

• Options
    edited November 2014

x

Post edited by Michael T on