Options

Winterization Question Kinda

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hey Gang,

I had my 2005 342 pulled from the water this spring for new anodes and to service the outdrives. After they put it back in the water, they changed the oil and filters in both engines and the generator as well as winterized the fresh water system and the A/C and toilet. When I received my bill, there was the usual list of what needed to be done as well as checkmarks beside each item that was done. I had told them to only winterize the generator....meaning don't change the plugs or impeller. So it said "Winterize Generator Only." There was no mention of winterizing the engines which got me worried. I called and asked and they said "Well, they better have winterized the engines or we will buy and install two new ones for you in the spring". I was assured that the engines were winterized but felt that the "technician" was never asked. Hence my question. There is a list of materials on my invoice. What materials can be expected to see on the materials list if the winterization actually happened? Just antifreeze I'm guessing.......how much for two engines and a generator? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks, Hamdog

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• Options
    tkrfxrtkrfxr Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I use 5 gallons per engine, two or three for the gennie, two for the AC and two for the water system....then one or two for the toilet, shower sump and some left in the water tank and holding tank to prevent freeze-cracking...

Just check to be sure...before a deep freeze comes along... 

"All things are ready if our minds be so"
    -W.Shakespeare/Henry V Rinker 2005 342FV T5.7OSXi-DF/OceanX(DPS-B)
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

tkrfxr,

They only used 8 gallons for everything l so I'm pretty sure based on your experience that they did not winterize the engines. I am going to talk to them again on Monday. Thanks for your response!!

Hamdog

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    tkrfxrtkrfxr Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    I am generous with the antifreeze....I am sure I could do it all with less...but not with only 8 gallons. Also look at how they prepare the engines for storage...Merc has a procedure for it....Imay have it on PDF, if you want it.

"All things are ready if our minds be so"
    -W.Shakespeare/Henry V Rinker 2005 342FV T5.7OSXi-DF/OceanX(DPS-B)
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Not sure how accurate it is, but they listed 4 gallons for my twin 5.0's.  No genny.  But I have a/c, toilet, water, etc..  They do list the other separately though, so I am not sure whether the 4 gallons is just for the engines.  I figure whatever they write, is just a standard amount, not reality.  You know, money maker.  :-)
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They might have a tray to capture most of the antifreeze, then move the tray to the next engine. That is how they do it at my marina. Then they can use less and it is environmentally friendly.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking back at the OP, the fresh water system can use a lot of antifreeze as well. You might want to have them verify that they did the engines.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    & if you have a raw water washdown (I do), then a gallon thru it too...& don't forget the ice maker.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express