Options

I need some info....

l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

I have been reading the recent post about impellers. My boat is almost 12 years old and has original impellers. I have one engine that is running  hot. My question is do you have to pull the boat out of the water to change the impellers? Can this be done myself? (I just turned 69 last Saturday) Also does anyone know a link to a step by step explanation of how to replace the impellers?

Thanks in advance.................Len

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tiki is the man to ask about this... he can rival pit crews, he says.. :-)
  • Options

I did the common mistake and did not say what engines.

Boat is a 2002 342 FV. Has 5.7 MPI bravo II fresh water cooled.

Len

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013

On the B-III you do not need to pull the boat out of the water, I've had them replaced while still at the dock.  I'm impressed you have the originals for 12 years!  MInes a 2003 342, it's tight to get to the pumps on this year.  You can find the steps pretty easy if you just google or have the Mercury Service book.  In short the belt comes off, then the pump; replacing the impellor is stright forward although a bit of a pita to get it in, watch the direction of rotation so you twist in the impeller the same direction to have the vanes going the correct way.

A list of steps for the change...
    1) Get this part MER 46-807151A14 (kit)
    2) Release tension on serpentine belt
    3) disconnect the two hose from the back of the pump housing...pay attention to the connection order and position.
    4) Remove pump assy from block by removing the two screws from the mounting bracket.
    5) on the bench...remove the five long screws holding the pump housing to pump and pump bracket...pay attention to their positions
    6) Remove impeller, wear plate, replace.
    7) To aid in impeller install...soap it up with dishwashing liquid.
    8) Reassemble housing...the impeller will self align..so don't worry about it.
    9) Reinstall five long bolts and bracket CRITICAL INFO HERE...TIGHTEN EACH BOLT TO A MAXIMUM OF 12 LBS/FT - The housing Cracks easily if it is over tightened
    10) Reinstall pump assy to block...tighten bolts to 30 lbs/ft
    11) reconnect hoses on back of pump
    12) reconnect serpentine belt and tension it.               

You will get some water flowing in, just plug it with a rag while working on the pump and make sure your bilge pump works.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

I've done my share as well and will first add, your boat in years 2000 - 2003 is a pain to get to the pumps (sorry, it had to be said), but it can & has been done.  One step I do is when installing, I use a plastic wire tie to collapse the veins for installation. Oh, and you may need to remove a bolt off the alternator holding the tension bracket that is on the same two bolts holding the pump.  Put the hose that has water flowing out when you remove up higher and it will stop flowing.  Also, lube the two hoses before you put them back on the pump, that will save tons of cussing!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At 69y/o and an undisclosed amount of patience, skill and elasticity left in your frame I'd probably just pay some young buck to get it done. Mine is fairly easy to get to, I only have a single engine to do and I'm a pretty creaky, rather cranky, somewhat stiff 55y/o. I'm pretty good with a wrench but my impeller project went off the rails with defective OEM parts, gaining me multiple attempts (I'll call them experience credits) before finally succeeding. But as Drew mentioned I'm an ace at it now, although not very excited about my new but rather useless life skill.

The other issue is if the boat is in the water and it hasn't been apart in 12yrs everything may not go as planned (I plan on gremlins) which can be a bit of a problem.

The way I figure it you're WAY AHEAD of the curve after 12yrs on the same impellers so I'd probably tap that boat bank account on this one. Let us know how it goes and good luck, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options

I am going to have a mechanic do the job. He was concerened if the boat had to be pulled or can it be done in the slip.

Len

• Options
    I'd pull it if your marina can do it without too much fuss and you have anything else below the waterline that is due for maintenance. Seacocks, anodes, outdrive service, all come to mind while it's out.

Good luck, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options

Talked to my mechanic today and he said he can replace the impellers with the boat in the slip. He also said it should be a quick fix (1.5 hours each) because the water pumps on my boat he says are the best ones Merc ever made. Should not have to replace any other parts. I bought a house 3 months ago and have not taken boat out since then, been moving than unpacking and setting up the new digs. I have been to the boat about once a month and started engines to keep everything lubricated, that's when I noticed the over heating. Should be fixed next week and maybe I can get out on the water, three months is a long time to not be out on the water. Will post how the fix goes.

Len

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    As with most jobs, the right tool can make all the difference.  For water pumps, the right tool is an "indexing combination ratcheting wrench" like this:

Compared to sockets and normal fixed wrenches, these wrenches will do the job in a fraction of the time.  The "indexing" joint is the black circle near the closed end of the wrench.  It serves two functions:

1) You can lock it in place at any angle, so you can easily reach around bolts or brackets.

2) You can release it to spin freely, which lets you quickly run bolts in or out even when there's almost no room for the wrench to turn.

Try it once and you'll be hooked.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    .......Dear Santa I'd really like those new wrenches and Ive been mostly almost good considering the cat episode last year and not including those pictures of the frisky girls from.....well never mind.
    Sincerely M____ uh, Drew
    :D
  • Options
    jmoen438jmoen438 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
  • Options

The boat is fixed and I will go test it out tomorrow. Our son is here from Texas (staff sgt. us army) and has never been on the boat so we are heading to the boat tomorrow. The impellers were still intack but in very bad shape, There was a gasket on the heat exchange that was bad which might have been limiting the flow of water. I am guessing that 12 years on original parts I was just lucky

I guess me and Tiki will be the only ones on here that will out boating tomorrow. It will be chilly about 62* for a high and no wind.

If I don't great back on here in the next few days here's wishing everyone.....

MERRY  CHRISTMAS

Len and Robyn

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy your boating and Merry Christmas too!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    "The boat is fixed and we're going out". Awesome news. Have a great day and try to post some pics if you think about it.

Hope everybody has a great holiday. Mike n Kelli
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    That is great news! it was 68 degrees at 7am this morning here. 75 degree high today, yesterday was 73.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Mike glad your up and running. Enjoy the boat and Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options

Hi all....

Since I had the impellers replaced I have been out on the boat a few times and everything is fine. The total cost of the repairs was $822.00. In case you all have not heard we in CA are experencing drought conditions here. Our wet season starting in November should have produced about 4.0 inches of rain so far. We have had .3 inches. Cities have started mandatory water restrictions. The good thing is where I boat the water level is controlled by the ocean tide so I will not run out of water to boat in, It will just get more brackish. Also we here have set many new records for high temps, which has made boating in January like boating in April. On a side note I will be moving Freebird to a new location on Saturday. I will be at Delta Marina in Rio Vista, CA (You can google it). The main reason for moving is it will cut the drive time to the boat in half. The boat will be only 30 minutes from home. The other plus is we will get to try out new fishing areas without spending $100 in gas to get to them. The new marina (for us) has very new rest rooms, a store, a restaurant, fitness room and a mechanic on staff and the haul out is 300 feet away.

Hope everyone is doing OK and enjoying the new year. Sorry some of you are having some bad weather (I used to live in up state NY), but the days are getting longer and spring is just around the corner.

Len

• Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    that sounds like a win-win-win for the new marina. boating is great, and having the right (better) marina makes it so much more enjoyable!
  • Options
    Everybody likes pics of a Rinker in spots we may never get to see. Post 'em up. Sounds like a great change.....if for no other reason than to try a new spot that has different sights. Good luck. Mike