Options

Convert TV Slide-out to Wine Rack - 340 FV

rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
After Christmas I plan to convert my TV slide-out to a wine rack.  I'm thinking of keeping the slide-out functionality for better access to the bottles.  I will probably add some sort of door - maybe a smoked plexiglass door that matches the electrical panel door.  Anyone do something similar?  I'm open to ideas.

Thanks, Ray

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

Comments

• Options
    strickstrick Member Posts: 6
    I would rather look at a full wine rack than a TV any day!!!!!
  • Options
    I believe it is deep enough for a bottle to lay down.  However, I'm thinking of standing them vertical for safe travel.  (I know, you're suppose to store wine laying down, but it doesn't last very long on the boat.)  I haven't been able to think of a good way to secure them if I used the laying down approach.  Hadn't thought of a glass shop for the door - they would indeed do a nice job on it.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    Ray, I converted my slide out TV cabinet to a liquor cabinet a couple of years ago. I made a bottle rack from wood, stained it,and added some LED lights. It came out pretty good. 
    I'll try to attach some pics I took a while back. 
    Jerry

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW, that is a really professional conversion - and I owned a construction company, so I know superb work when I see it!:-)  MT 
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful work and far more entertaining than a TV....... :D

I always warn people to not overindulge on TikiHut or they may become the entertainment...... :D

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Jerry,  I hope mine turns out that nice!  How deep is the recess that holds the bottles?  Do you think it should be more?

Ray

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    Ray, I can't remember exactly how high the base is from the bottom. I think its only 2-3 inches, it may even be less. If I remember right, I couldn't go much higher in order to get the bottles out without hitting the top of the cabinet. I placed  non skid material on the bottom to keep the bottles from moving much. I bought 2 different sized hole saws to fit the 2 common size liquor bottles. I've only had one bottle tip over and that was on a thirty mile trip on Lake Ontario in 5-7 foot waves. Let me know if you want me to get you the exact measurement for how high the bottle holder sit from the bottom, I could try to get down to the boat and get it.

TikiHut2, we have the same policy on our boat. (do not overindulge, or they may become the entertainment)
    The admiral says I should pay more attention to the policy.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Here's another variation.  No fine joinery here -- just a wedge-shaped shelf that holds bottles at a slight angle.  For bottles lying on top of other bottles, I separate them with a thin piece of padding (actually rubber shelf paper).  Simple, but effective.  It will hold about 20 bottles, and still leaves room in front for bottles standing upright.

Laying bottles on the side stabilizes them so they won't rattle or break in rough seas.  I chose the angle to take maximum advantage of the odd-shaped volume.  

On the left side, I built a simple plywood box around the roll-up door.  That keeps bottles from shifting against the roll-up and jamming it.

Definitely not as sexy as Golfdog's beautiful work - nice job!
  • Options
    Installed my winter project this weekend. I'm still thinking about adding some lighting. imageimage

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    Hey Ray, that came out awesome. I'm glad you found a solution for storing the important stuff.
    Jerry
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Looks great. Outstanding job......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Thanks for all the nice comments.  Mine didn't have a roll up door for the TV.  The original post at the top has the before picture.  I had thought about putting a smoked glass door on it but thought it would look "tacked on".

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    very nice Ray!  thanks for updating with pictures!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    All very cool ideas.... I just go down to the local liquor store and get a cardboard wine box with the inserts still in it. Put it under my TV cabinet and use that for the season. Throw the box away in the fall and get a new one in the spring. I used to keep my liquor behind the tv, however, the rattling under way and falling bottles made me give this up right away. I also try to buy the plastic liquor bottles when possible. However, the wine is limited to glass. The great thing about the card box is that it can fit any sized bottle.
  • Options
    SeaShiftSeaShift Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Rmrstlmo - What kind of wood did you use... This is amazing and I want to tackle this project myself.. Did you replace the tv with a bigger updated version somewhere else?
  • Options
    SeaShift, glad you like it. It is 1/2" thick teak. I couldn't find 1/2" local so I bought it off of eBay. The boards were 3" wide so I glued them as required to get the sizes I needed. I also added a second bottle holder in back of the sliding unit - I'll attach a pic tomorrow.. Haven't found a huge need for a TV yet but I might add a flat screen just forward of where the old TV was.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    Found the pic of back shelf.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rmrstlmo that looks GREAT!