Options

Where can I find information on a Rinker Captiva 206?

Hi! This is my first post and I am hoping someone can help me out with a few questions. I may have the opportunity to pick up a Captiva 206, however I don't know anything about Rinker boats. I looked at the HIN number and it ends in 92 - does this indicate the model year? The boat has an Alpha One outdrive and a 350 Magnum, however the previous owner didn't winterize the boat and the block is now cracked. I thought about picking it up and giving it a little TLC - as it's in desperate need of it. The blue Gelcoat on the sides of the boat are faded, and the rear sundeck it all torn up. It's obvious that it wasn't taken care of. Generally I would avoid a broken boat like the plague - but i'm intrigued with the possibility of picking this one up for the big price of possibly FREE. 

Any information on these boats is greatly appreciated. My only experience prior to this is with an 01 Mariah Diablo 180 (which I loved dearly). However, I sold it due to a back surgery I had done over the summer. I wasn't planning on jumping back into boating so soon... but this looks like it could be a diamond in the rough. 

Thanks again,
Nick
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Nick, welcome to the site... You are correct, the last two digits are the year which makes this boat a '92. She sure looks in tough shape... Even if you can get the boat for free it's going to cost you some money to get it in tip top shape. For example, new engine because more than likely the heads are finished too. That's going to run you around $8 to 12 K. Hope the out drive is ok too, if not, another $5 to 8K for a new one. The interior will need new vinyl which could run you another couple of thousand for everything. It could cost you more if the seats are rotten underneath the vinyl. New canvas is also needed which can run you another $1500 to 2K. Not sure if this boat was ever covered at all in it's life, however assuming it was treated terribly we can safely assume the hull needs work too. Rinker uses wooden sterns and stringers so more likely they are shot too if water got into them and froze. Even if you do all of this work, using used parts and etc to keep the prices down, the finished product will only be worth around $5,500. So in my opinion, run away from this project, it will cost you more than buying one used that was taken care of by the owner.... JMO. Let us know what you decide.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call on this, looks like a lot of TLC and money.  A true labor of love.  Sad someone let it go this bad.

Alswagg on here might be able to tell you some motor/drive costs and what you'll be into.  He's an ex-Rinker guy and knows all the ins and outs!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd agree with cptn Ron 100%. RUN. Youd drown in time n cash to even get it close. It'd b money much better spent on something ready to use for a season or two with some resale value.

Don't let the ideal distract you from what it'd REALLY take to bring it back. Good luck. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl