Options

A few weekend pics from Sunny Florida (Added Live cam links too)

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike,

I might just end up getting in contact with you!

Our place is actually in Treasure Island, right next to St. Pete's so it's only a 45 min drive to Sarasota.

We often go there to do some shopping at that wonderful factory outlet mall you have there. Great deals!

I'll give you a shout when we are down there next week, and maybe we can organize something.

Mark

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Tikihut has it organized! Nice meeting you and your wife Mike. See you guys in March for a 'Cruise in Sota'

Mark and Tina.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Always our pleasure to meet another Rinker owner with similar interests. We'll look forward to getting together again when you get back down. Call us anytime.

It's New Years day and we've been on the boat for two beautiful days. A 40mi run today took us south in the ICW to Venice and back N via the Gulf right along the beaches. It was turquise and flat with an offshore wind w temps in the 70s.

The weather turns poor tomorrow so it'll get tucked back in the shop until next time. It was certainly a great way to spend the holiday boating with sandy beaches, palm trees and meeting new friends. Aloha. MnK
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up in Saulte St. Marie Ontario for a couple of days, forcast for tonight: -15F.  Just puts in all in proper persepctive.  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    BD, even the 10-15 degrees the next coming nights here now don't sound as bad. ;)   The good news is I'm down to 2 months before the next boat ride!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Our yacht club has its 100 days to launch party on the 17th...so it's creeping closer. Pic of the channel into Lake Mich is below. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=711061738938144&set=a.376171409093847.90595.301893733188282&type=1&ref=nf

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    BD thats pretty solidly iced over lol

Didnt a ship get stuck in Muskegon lake due to an early ice?
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    I didn't hear about a stuck ship from ice..but grounding has been an issue the last 2 years with the low lake levels.  Little Travese Bay went from open water on NYE to almost totally froze over by New Years day when I drove by each day.  No wind and near 0F works the ice fast.  The St Mary's River is totally froze over here in the Soo.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Just to make EVERYONE feel better, here are a few pics from my windows. They look South and East across the St. Lawrence River from Canada to the U.S.A. Normally we can see the stop lights in N.Y. from my windows. Not today. The mist rising from the St. L is due to a -35 degree day (yes Mike - T.H. 2 - you heard that right!). We are xepecting snow. I leave for the Caribbean in a few days - yea!  Now, I hope EVERYONE feels better! P.S. The flags are at half-mast as a prominent local passed away but my friend said that's not the reason - it's for the arrival of the "mean season" with an emphasis on the word mean! P.S.S. Don't the poor finger docks in the marina below look miserable? :-( MT
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    RY: without the politics...look up the defination of 'global warming' and the effects: wilder temp swings and bigger stronger storms.  Aside from that, the temps are not all that wierd with the jet stream dipping way south as it is and the artic air it pulls down.  January is always the coldest month up here, just add a few extra layers....and if you have that diesel better hope you have block/battery heaters and can plug it in or you'll go nowhere.  lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Not going to get into a politics discussion.  I'm out.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    jmoen438jmoen438 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    -11 degrees and snowing right now!
  • Options
    lol. There's always jetblue to Tampa/Miami. :D
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Take the politics to another thread. Please stay somewhat on topic if you have anything to add. The intent is to encourage each other with some pics and humor during the winter season.
    Thanks from the original poster. Mike
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    man is an arrogant lot... it's as if we think we've cured the earth of ice ages and warming cycles, or something, and that it won't happen again..

my region is (as the Taliban {neighbors kids} across the street have said) bi-polar.. The Saturday before Christmas I hit the road for a 1400mile leg of a 3500mile trip.. It was 70+ degrees.. I drove into the U.P. where it got down to -10* or so at night, and warmed to teens during the day.. there was a 'heat wave' the last day there, where it reached 32* for the daytime high... I was told it hasn't broke 0 this week past, and I thank God I'm back home.. that cold isn't for me..

it got to 60* last night, here, around midnight... I woke to 34*, and it's just supposed to hang on to that temperature today..

I started the boat Tuesday, using the dog ears, and allowed it to run up to temperature- just to pull the plugs afterward and get some more pink crap in it.. I don't want to rebuild carb's in the spring, is my reasoning, so I won't let them gum up by sitting.. it's not like freezing is a big threat here, and it's not like pouring in the pink crap or dropping the outdrive all the way down to drain of it's own volition is a big deal..

the goofy thing- today, so far, the wind is blowing and the temperature is hovering around 35*- but tomorrow, it may be 60*, and Sunday it may break 70*... if it does, I'll be on the water for at least an hour or so... I'll excuse this activity to the CEO/CFO (aka wife) as 'maintenance'.... Sunday evening, I'll wash the boat, then drain the block and pour more pink crap in it..

the Taliban are correct.. the weather here is bi-polar.  
  • Options
    Did you see Yellowknife the other day. Was like -55F!!! That's -48C people. Even Toronto's weather sounds good when you compare to that! Lol.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    -23C here in the Soo today. Car not happy to start!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Hey Guys, 24 hours later (see pics above) here are two pics of the St.Lawrence River frozen over.  That happens about once in every five years here. It happened some time last night. You could hear the creaking and banging all night! You can now clearly see Morristown, New York across the river. Some of the guys are getting their fishing huts ready at the shore although I wouldn't venture out just yet. It was -28 degrees (no wind chill) -38 (with wind chill). The windows and doors of peoples' vehicles were freezing shut. My friend went to a self-serve car wash (I said to him - you did what?) and the spray wand nozzle blew snow instead of water. His dog wouldn't get out of the truck (like he usually does) to watch..He said when his dog did get out of the truck to have a pi**  he wouldn't get too close to the fire hydrant. At least one of them has brains! LOL  :-) MT.....Hot rum time, right Tiki?
  • Options
    Steve, live here because the cold WAS fun when I was younger and the summers (April until October) are gorgeous with some of the best boating in the world. Remember too Steve, I'm about to leave for the caribbean in three days for three months! There is life out there!  I'll return just in time to install some new underwater LED lights and do the PDI checklist on the new 2014 EC 360. I'll do the break-in runs at Len's Cove on the Big Rideau, change eigines' oil to full synthetic,  then take the 360 through the canal system (likeIi did last year with the 310) to the St. Lawrence where I have a boat slip. As for heating, I use a gas fired boiler with a glycol circulating, zoned heat pump system. Works real well. MT
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Nothing as impressive as the St Lawrence froze over, but the Clinton River over here is froze solid, and I had to stop by my marina today to make sure the lake was still there. It's under there somewhere. :(

• Options
    The more that freezes, the less that evaporates = more water in the spring!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I like your attitude BD!. J-13 Those slips do look cold but I like the look of their access to the water in milder times.It appears that you can just power up and motor straight out! MT.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Great pics of the freeze over guys! makes me want to take a peek on my boat hanging on the lift, maybe over ice now. I can't believe you guys don't keep your cars in the garage. I had to add another 2-car so the third car a couple years ago would have a roof as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Yessir MT, I'm not even in operating temp by the time I get to the end of the no wake area.

Not a bad view from our sunpad either :)

• Options
    Holy craap man. Theres no way for me to wrap my head around cold like that. Wow you guys have my respect for living/working/playing in that. My bloods far too thin for anything below 60*. :D
  • Options
    Rum Tiki  Rum - That's how we survive! MT
  • Options
    J-13, beautiful view!  Night time on the aft with a drink. Oh Yeah!  As I like to  say, there is life out there!MT
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    68* last night and this morning... tonight, the artic invades with one of its ranger units... it's 'sposed to not break out of the 20's, and with wind chill sub zero...

I just ran my boat this weekend past..

it kills me to 'winterize', get lost in the moment and drop the thing in the drink, with fingers crossed that we can stave off the winter- just to hear of a weather report like this... and, the fact that I MUST make certain the engine is devoid of non-treated h2o..... at least until this weekend.. :-)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my threshold is about 70.....