Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check this out:

http://www.jetcapsule.com/

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Funky looking but not my cup of tea.......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2013
    What would Joshua Slocum or Herreshoff think? :D Aside from the odd pod design and chic music he'd say its still a boat. Our modern Rinkers would seem equally odd in comparison to someone from 100yrs ago.

Thankfully boat designers are always trying new styles. There are more than a few duds but some really great classics. Is there a top 3 designs/styles that broke the "way-it-should-be" design mold?? Chris Craft runabout, 16' Hobie Cat, ........(your pick?) ?

I recently had dinner with Regal yachts top marketing guru who implied that although traditional v hulls will always have their place, the next push will be with catamaran party hulls of many diff sizes with unimaginable creativity. Stable, versatile and ranging from sleek to posh. He was testing designs in the segment that signs indicate is poised to boom. Go figure, I guess innovation is what got us where we are. And NO I'm not buying a pod boat....unless it comes with a few hot Italian dancing babes and disco lights :D
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    i'd love the added deck space of a cat. more stable at anchor (where i spend most of my time...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    There's some interesting footage of a woman reclining on top of the boat.  They want her to look relaxed, but she is clutching for dear life on a tiny little curved gelcoat hardtop with no handrails.  If somebody down in the cockpit sneezes, that woman gets pitched overboard! 

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If Rinker made a video like that, I'd be salivating right now.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that thing looks like a shoe... like a Minnie Mouse shoe, to be exact.. I'd be afeared she'd come back to get it whilst I was using it... seems like a real threat..
  • Options
    Does not look stable in big waves though...

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Obviously I don't think those Italian marketers are really selling stability based on sound naval architecture with the distracting videos space age intro, disco lighting and young hard bodies clinging to the rooftop. :-*

Sorta like the Fiat ads where the hottest girls are ripping off the hem line of their dresses in ecstasy when they see that flea of a car driving through their village. It seems to be all the rage......until you see one in person. Ahh the magic is in the art of the sales pitch with those nice tan legs to re-direct your view.  B-)

Rest assured that the only people ripping their cloths off if they see me wedged into a Fiat will be from them busting a gut laughing...... Likewise, the only thing practical about the Pod boat is the fact that it'll float. With enough hot Italians babes that'll be cool enough..........it does come with the babes, right?
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Bet they do in Italy!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Oh yeah, I can picture RY one now. Hey, it will run all summer on one tank of diesel!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jmoen438jmoen438 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    Cool, but is as useless as **** on a bull.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    The web site says you can outfit the 23' model with twin 315 HP diesels.  Yes - when RY gets his copy, it will have 630 HP of diesel power on that tiny, top-heavy, Minnie-Mouse-shoe-shaped vessel.  
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Looks kinda like a Woody Allenesque transport, ala "Sleepers".
  • Options
    ShaunShaun Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
  • Options
    Italians would never overstate their ..uh.."horsepower"..... would they? Sounds like it has a big "blower" (in marketing) ..... :D
  • Options
    Just remember: the Italian Navy has glass bottomed boats so they can see the old Italian Navy. lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, I guess its not for everyone but I suppose it has its place. It'd be a pretty cool water taxi for large inland/protected waters.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Glass bottomed boats.......omg, lmao   =))  Hey, don't get me wrong, I love Italy. It's their flair for the overstated that makes me grin.....That, and that teensy little car they've recently sent our way. There has to be a costume coming that has Minnie mouse Boat Pod shoes and a teensy car hat with the body of some super Italian model in the middle to distract us. :D