Options

Carpet Backing

Has anyone successfully repaired/replaced the cockpit carpet backing? My carpet is in good shape but the backing is falling apart. 

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty common with the black waffle backing. A few have sprayed it with rubberized coatings, but it's short lived I think. Best bet: replace it. Go to www.snapincarpet.com they have patterns, get the carpet with the grey backing. Great people to work with.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Same problem here........the "black waffle backing" is dry rotted and makes a mess also sticks to the cockpit floor. My carpet too is in exellent condition except for the backing, all I did was duct tape the back in order from it to keep flaking off. It's been two seasons and all is good.
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, anything I can do to keep the backing last a little longer from brand new? I know replacing the carpet is not a cheap endeavor.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it's fine in my bedroom, but carpet seems a bit misplaced on a boat to me. It was the first thing we tore out of our 270. It was a huge mess when it'd get rained on or something spilled and the deck has a really nice non-skid so in about an hour I ditched the carpet, pulled the snaps and placed a dab of matching colored gelcoat in each hole. Now my decks are dryer/cleaner/unstained/lighter/and not falling apart, and my wallet thanked me too.

Just saying that maybe NOT simply replacing it could be an even easier answer.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I've already considered it also, but it is much nicer on your feet. My biggest problem is when our lab goes swimming he brings in what seems like gallons of water with him. If we dont get it mostly dry before calling it a day the next time out it smells like mildew.

I have to pull the carpet out 2-3 times a season to wash and deodorize it. I think this will eventually cause some extra wear & tear on it.

I guess I wonder why they used a rubber backing at all? It seems like it holds the water and some sore of woven fabric that wasnt waterproof would have been a better option.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Check out the post below. I applied the rug coating at the beginning of last year. So far it is holding up. http://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/652/rug-backing-repair#latest Ray

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    One thing that works well is to actually pressure wash the carpet once in a while. I do it at least every fall when I put the carpet away. I too like the carpet feel in the cockpit.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also like the feel of carpet on my feet in the summer. I sent my old carpet back to Rinker and had them pattern it to use the factory stuff to replace it. So far, it has worked out, but I am sure that I will be in the same predicament in a few years.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    I bought Marine Carpet had a local shop pattern it no backing been down 3 years no problem and it dries very fast no more wet carpet the next morning.

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    The rubber backing seems to draw up water, making the carpet wetter. My carpet is going to be replaced in the next season so I will go to the local carpet guy and buy a good quality 100% polyester one with no backing. I will get them to put put a border on it and I will install the snaps once back at the boat.
  • Options
    BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    I used Shaw Marine Carpet the expense is having the piping sewn to the edges but it was still $200. Cheaper then Snap in

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

i tried the rubber spray (plasti-dip) and it was only so-so. an ok band-aid but didn't last too long and I couldn't get it very thick. it even bled through a bit in one area making a darker spot on the carpet. 

I think my next step is to remove the backing with some kind of metal brush. it'll be a little less soft but like others have said, it'll dry faster.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    I've tried removing old backing from a small piece of boat carpet.  Don't waste your time.  You'll never get it all off, and it'll only make the problem worse.

But seriously - a longer-lasting backing wouldn't do me any good.  By the time the backing starts to crumble, my carpets are stained with 5 years of red wine and cheez-it crumbs.  I have accepted the fact that nice carpets will cost me $100 per year.  And every time I replace them, the boat feels brand-new again!
  • Options
    SpeedracerSpeedracer Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I used the black spray Plasti-Dip last season and seems to be holding up.  I don't expect this to last more then 2 seasons.  Instead of spray, you can purchase a larger commercially available 1 Gallon can and use a roller to apply a thicker layer.  This may be less expensive then replacing.
  • Options
    qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I just dip the plasti-dip as well. I think it's a good way to get a couple more years out of the carpets. Mine are in marginal shape anyway.
    2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa
  • Options
    BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    I might try the gallon can since my spray application largely pealed off.
  • Options
    ronaldhughesronaldhughes Member Posts: 1
    I had got help in this case from Nourison Hospitality. They are one the best carpet makers and installers.
  • Options
    ronaldhughesronaldhughes Member Posts: 1
    I had got help in this case from Nourison Hospitality. They are one the best carpet makers and installers.