Options

Waste and fresh water level indicator

The holding tank and fresh water level indicator only shows empty, even when the water tank is full and the holding tank must be at least half full. Has anyone experienced this in the past and what was the solution?  Is it possible to get a visual on the level in both tanks, if I can't get the level indicator to work?  Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Need to know more about your boat... for example, I have a 07 320 and the tanks are made of Polyethylene Poly Resins and you can see the the levels in them. The water tank is on one side and the waste on the other. Not all the Rinkers expose their tanks as much as the 320 so we need to know which one you have. Check your fuses on the level indicator to see if your problem is something simple.
  • Options
    ronpscottronpscott Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Thanks Capt Ron!  I have an '03 342.  The indicator on the panel is getting power because the light registers as empty, even when the water is full.  So the power is good, maybe the sending units are bad?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    The sending units are probably either clogged or done.  On the earlier models they used sending units that were inside the tanks.  Most people on here with boats 8 or more years old would probably tell you they have that problem.  You could mess around with it and see what you get or replace them with ones that go on the outside.  I had the same issue on my prior '02 310 and I'd just look in the engine room at the levels.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronpscott:

I have the same year/model.  A few people have added 'windows' into the aft storage area behind the mirror (aft bunk) to get a visual, otherwise no dice on seeing them really.  The sending units are from Fireboy/Xinex and are not exactly reliable.  The waste tank one you can get to 'easy' from the access plate under the port seating storage area, you have to crawl in to do it.  I've had success cleaning mine with The Works toilet bowl cleaner and having it work again.  Xinex has a newer version out I looked at too, suppose to be a big improvement and uses the same gage/wiring you have now.

http://www.fireboy-xintex.com/liquid-level-monitors.htm

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    What exactly happens when you press the button on the display?

Normally, the light(s) will show for about 5 seconds.  If the sensor is bad, the bottom light will blink 3-4 times.  I've had mixed success trying to clean the sensors, so I just replace them.  I have been getting about 5 years out of the holding tank sensors.
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    The sensors on mine are on the outside of the tank and have been working fine for the last 4 years. This might be your answer if you want to view the levels at the panel.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014

On a similar note, I don't have any indication on my waste or water tank (other than opening the engine compartment and visually inspecting). Is there a cheap way to get indication outside of the engine compartment (something that maybe works wirelessly?

Or instead of an indicator maybe just a switch that alarms at water low or waste high level?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Admiral usually exclaims our boats warning of low water/high waste, followed by the immeadiate movement of all hands on deck. :D

Low tech, highly problematic for the crew and needs updating.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    ronpscottronpscott Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Everyone, thanks for your responses, they are a big help. When I push the button it was just a steady green light on empty.  On the last trip to the boat, the light is now flashing, though still on  empty.  Your comments gave me some things to look at and some clues on how to fix the problem.
  • Options
    Sensors bad for sure.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Captain_RobCaptain_Rob Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    I have a 2005 320 and the tank indicators show no sign of life....how do they receive there power....is there a switch or fuse I am missing....or do I have to remove switch panel to check for power......any suggestions....just purchased and learning the boat
  • Options
    You have to push the button on the gage to get a level reading.  If the sensor is bad, it will just read empty/flash.  Go to:
    www.fireboy-xintex.com for the sensors and wiring info.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I'm having the same issue on mine.....Rinker sure didn't make it easy to see the tanks on the 342!!!
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    03rinker34203rinker342 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    I'm having same problem on my 2003 342
  • Options
    There are several threads on here about this. Removing the side panels of the storage area behind the mirror in the aft bunk will get you to them both. Easy to replace once you get to them.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    jonpoljr07jonpoljr07 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
     I have an 02 342 and i've been trying to get a wiring diagram for the fireboy guage and sensors but have come up empty so far. nothing on their (fireboy xintex)website either. does anyone have the wiring diagram???  WTG-1 liquid level monitor system......i ordered a new waste sensor and want to make sure its wired correctly also.....
  • Options
    Just replacing the sensor? Really easy, just did mine last weekend. 2 wires, color coded plus they send instructions too. The wires are bare from Fireboy, I added crimped connectors to plug/unplug. The factory connector is a wire connector. You can access the waste sensor under the deck plate under the port seating at the cockpit.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Mine is the wtg which says they are not compatible with the pneumatic can I just buy the pneumatic and still hook it up to the same gauge with only using two possible wires or do I also have to change the gauge at the panel 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond it looks like my sensors died over the winter.  They were sort of working in the fall but no more. I have read through all the old posts but before i run out to the boat and pull these out.  I wanted to ask you a couple of questions.  Do you remember if yours were threaded or flange with the screws?  Also length?  Are they both 14 in?  The new ones are two wires so i am assuming i also have to replace the Monitor.  Is this just a simple pull out of the switch panel to get to it?  Thanks in advance.

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    If you need to replace the sensor and monitors, why don't you just replace with a  whole new system.  Something that mounts on the outside of the tank is much more reliable & probably the same price or possibly cheaper. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Screw in type. I want to say 17". Could be wrong. There is a sticker on the top that has the length. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks @Black_Diamond.  @Dream_Inn I looked around but couldnt find any reasonable alternative.  Definitely not cheaper.  Looks to be around 300 for everything.
  • Options
    You can try cleaning them with The Works toilet bowl cleaner. Might salvage them. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @davidbrooks have you seen my thread on just cutting access panels so you can see the tanks and see the levels? Total cost is about $20
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @Liberty44140 I did see that.  I am just doing some research now but still thinking I would like to just replace the electronics.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Got it, just making sure you had all of the options :) good luck!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I replaced mine the first year I bought the boat and they started acting up before the end of the season. Being such a PITA to replace I decided to put cameras instead. I would have gone the same route as Liberty (much much easier) but I have a grey water tank in the way.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭

After reading this thread I decided it was time to tackle replacing my sensors.  Both show flashing when the button is pushed.  Turns out mine are a three wire version.  I can't find the sensors for sale anywhere online.  Has anyone run into this?  Any luck finding the three wire version of the sensor?

If I have to replace the whole system it seems I should be able to use two of three wires for a new system, correct?

Thanks, Ray.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it does appear the 3 wire senders are not available and replacement may be necessary. You should be able to use 2 of the 3 wires in place though.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Mine were 2 wire Xintex 17" .  http://www.fireboy-xintex.com/pneumatic-liquid-level-monitor-systems/#Order.  They actually have 4 wires but two of the wires are used for calibration.  My monitor was showing empty on both Fresh water and holding tanks but started working correctly when i just replaced one of the sensors.  If you look at the install instructions they have a wiring diagram.  The sensors end up sharing connections and one going bad can affect the other.  They are a pain to get to.  You have to be part contortionist or have arms that are 8 inches longer than normal.