Options

Wake Surfing behind FV250??

habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
Hi gang, I was wondering if anyone has done any wake surfing (Not wake boarding) behind a pocket cruiser? I have a 2005 FV250 and thought about doing this behind it. Now before I get everyone telling me its not recommended behind a I/O motor, I will say that I have a 2 1/2 foot swim platform and if the boat is plowing threw the water at 10mph (recommended speed) won't the prop be so low and also covered by swim platform that it would be almost impossible to hit it? I mean as long as the boat continues forward then I don't see the safety concern, maybe I'm missing something here or maybe its just a stupid Idea but it does look like fun behind that great wake!
Here is a video of wake surfing if you are unfamiliar? 

Comments

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd wager that'd be really tough to do, regardless of the boat.

Plus, I'll bet that Mastercraft has a bunch of ballast in the rear of the boat to get a wave that big at such slow speeds. I know my 276 couldnt make such a tall wave even plowing through the water at displacement speed.

I dont think its anymore dangerous than most other water sports though, as long as the drive is all the way down and the boat driver doesnt come to a sudden stop.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Porpoise surf ours occasionally and I haven't made sushi out of any of them yet. JT is right about the ballast in the aft. Of course you could do what sailboat guys have done for ages, invite friends and use them as moveable ballast where you need them.

It seems sorta dangerous but everything is getting that way as I age. My mama would say not to do it.....which usually served as an encouragement to get after it. Above all....stay back, RESPECT THE PROP and get videos of the carnage and bring bandages/tourniquets. Ah youth.....how I miss it. :D
    Mike

LINK TO ULTIMATE WAKE SURFING

PS Hey habit how'd you embed that youtube vid?
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I have done this before behind inboards, it is very easy to do. It is way easier on your muscles because you are just standing and riding, no pulling on the arms or legs. I can't waterski for more than about 2 minutes before I start to get sore and tired (45years old) yet I can wake surf for at least 10 min no problem! Very easy for anyone to learn to do compared to skiing and wakeBoarding! The reason for the danger is because you do this about 6 to 10 feet from the transom!
    To embed video just go to what ever youtube video you want, then go to the address page at the top and copy "Copy" link. Write your post then "paste" link into your comments section.
  • Options
    Plus, thats a Mastercraft 300 which is inboard and weighs 14,000lbs and has a 11' beam. I dont know what kind of "surf wake" a FV250 can make...
  • Options
    edited January 2014

11' beam and 14k lbs !! Good grief, my portly 270 seems svelte by those standards. Most cruisers in our area aren't even that portly. Much less ski boats, which I always imagined were light and overpowered with an optional bladder in the stern for ballast.

I'm generally pretty fearless but 6' from the transom is pretty dammn close to the pearly gates for an I/O.

Thanks habit. Hadn't really looked for it but can't seem to copy/paste any of the obvious links... hmmm embedded youtube would be great. Any clue where I'm missing the boat??

Re-tried copy/paste the web address directly into the comment field, then the "share" link and even rt clk and copy on the frame of the vid. Also tried pasting each location into the toolbar icon for "insert an image" and the "Insert hyperlink". Tried the "share this video link" and even the code under the embed tab too.  Nada. Now I'm in problem solve/conquer mode.

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    the surf wake isn't the problem, I am just wondering if anyone here does this with a I/O pocket cruiser and if its something to be worried about safety wise, i.e. to close to swim platform or the prop if you fall. Also how to hook up without tow ring, would you just use a side cleat or is that to much stress on it?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Link didn't work Tiki
    Just highlight the whole address bar then "Copy" then "paste"
    Post edited by habit68 on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You don't have to press share, I just copy and paste adress then it automatically shows up!
    This is a guy wake surfing behind a 100ft Yacht!

• Options
    TikiHut2 said:

11' beam and 14k lbs !! Good grief, my portly 270 seems svelte by those standards. Most cruisers in our area aren't even that portly. Much less ski boats, which I always imagined were light and overpowered with an optional bladder in the stern for ballast.

Yeah, its definitely not their standard "tow boat". Try ~$300k MSRP and stuff like this:
    http://www.extravaganzi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/MasterCraft-300-1.jpg

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Looks like an easy case of CO poisoning waiting to happen.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    CO poisoning is probably the least of their problems if that's an I/O my friend. If he tempts fate too long he might need to change his name to stubs. On the other hand that looks like a shoulder high wake which would've been too tempting to pass up in my younger "daze". :D

Surfing a $300k wave.... gotta love that. Here's one of a wakeboard behind daddys "modest" $1mil+ sailboat. All my daddy ever gave me was a box and stick to play with.

• Options
    The MC 300 is V-Drive, so no worries about the prop wake surfing. Your B3 on the other hand, has some hardware sticking out out a bit.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good one on the 'stubs' nickname. Ah the careless fun of young days when you never thought about the dangers. Makes you wonder how most of us survived. :D

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    And condoms.
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Mr. Hobie Alter, inventor of the Hobie Cat and the foam cored surfboard, rode the wake of a powerboat all the way from Long Beach, CA to Catalina Island, over 30 miles. This was back in the '60s I believe.

By the way his original surf shop on Pacific Coast Highway near my house in Dana Point is now a Taco stand. Great guy!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Q: What do you call a guy who loses his arms and legs running into a prop?

A: "Bob"
  • Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    Habit, you were reading my mind. That's the video I tried to embed a few days ago but never figured it out.

Awesome video. I can envision this as an activity on a cruise ship with a long tow rope and a pick up team on jet skis...... not! :D  But I may give it a try a safe distance from my OD with our 270. The video may be too humiliating to post.....