Options

Refrigerator and ice maker in cockpit

frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
Hi, I had to remove the refrigerator and ice maker in the cockpit to get access to the vacuum flush system and notice that 120 volts cord for the above was not plugged in into the 120 volts receptacle that is right beside it. The unit was still working properly all the past summers probably on the 12 volts system. Should it be plug in to the 120 volts system also ? Did factory forgot to plug it in? Rinker 300 Express 2007 twin 5.0 l no generator See attached picture of wiring diagram from Rinker.

Comments

• Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hey Frenchship,

Yes, it should be plugged in. The Icemaker runs on 120 volt only (no battery power) so I know it should be plugged in. The Refrigerator works on both 120 volts and battery. It senses if shore power is on (or generator) and runs on 12 volt if it is (as long as the switch is in the ON position on your panel). When not on Shore Power (or generator), it will automatically switch to battery power unless you turn it off by using the knob on the inside of the unit.

So, yes, the refrigerator should be plugged in so you can use Shore Power to take the strain off the batteries.

Hope this helps.

Hamdog

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options

Correction.

It runs on 120 volts if on shore power or generator.

• Options
    Hi Hamdog, Thanks Even when it was not plug in the ice maker was still producing ice and keep things frozen. ???
  • Options
    Is it a combo unit or separate icemaker?
  • Options
  • Options
    Just thought about something maybe when I pulled the refrigerator It could have pull the plug off.
  • Options

Ok.

Let's try this again. It would be just like your "inside" unit. I will explain without the generator since you don't have one.

1. When you are on Shore Power and the Cockpit Refrig switch on your A/C panel is ON, the unit is running on A/C and sparing the battery so it can charge. DOES IT NEED TO BE PLUGGED IN TO WORK? Not sure. It could be hard wired thru the A/C Panel. Others will need to answer this.

2. When you turn off the A/C it automatically switches to D/C battery power and the unit is hard wired to the batteries. The only way to turn the unit off completely is using the knob inside the unit.

I can't imagine the unit working on A/C unless it is plugged in but I've been surprised by boats before. Somebody will chime in with the answer.

Thanks.

Hamdog

• Options
    I would imagine that your Cockpit Refrig switch on your A/C panel would turn on power to the plug receptacle thus turning on the unit if it was plugged in...........
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014
    I know on my 342 the ice maker was plugged into the wrong 120VAC outlet, so it was on when the cockpit breaker for the frig was on.  The plugs have a way of working loose too over time.
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

Frenchship,

At least we know that Black Diamonds Icemaker was plugged in and not hard wired so I am going to say, YES, plug it in.

I would test it by watching your D/C Voltage meter. When you turn on the A/C switch, you will be able to see your D/C Voltage meter go higher by a little bit. This is due to the load of the refrig unit being taken off of the battery. You could even test it before plugging it in. If you get no change, you know you need to plug it in. Make sense?

Hope this helps.

Hamdog

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I'm with BD... lost track at how many times the AC plug fell out in the cabin fridge as well. Very common problem. You think Rinker would put in twist locks to prevent this issue.
  • Options
    Ok, Thanks, Capt Ron, BD. And Hamdog. For the infos. I will check it out this spring. Paul
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever my friends or I pull out a fridge or any 110v appliance on a boat we use a plastic zip tie to hold it in place before we re-install the apliance - as the plugs tend to work loose. As well, the thought of a partially plugged-in plug sparking in a marine environment is not a good thought. :-( MT