12V Ice Maker?

MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there such a thing as a 12V ice maker?

Wondering if it is possible to make ice while underway, without a genset.

Mark

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm I did a look and did not see such a thing.  I think the problem would be the current draw at a minimum..making ice uses a lot of power to churn out the cubes.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep - Dry Ice.

Get a chunk and put it at the bottom of your cooler. It'll freeze water SOLID if its close to it & not insulated too much.

If I was going on a weeklong trip I'd absolutely use dry ice, especially since I dont have a fridge. Just gotta be careful handling it, and make sure its in a relatively vented area.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
    Put the dry ice in alcohol, it will cool to near -100F and last longer.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    @ Mark

There are lots of 12v ice maker options. Try Google. My buddy has one on his boat and draws very little power and dumps ice every 15 min. The cube is round with a hole thru it.

Another option for around a couple hundred is a 110v. Along with a 1000w inverter plugged to the cig lighter. Still really doesn't hit the batteries that hard and if concerned just start the engine and run for 15 min every other hour if your continuously making ice. At the dock just plug It to shore power.

Now you have options.

LG
  • gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Mark, are you trying to make ice, or keep ice for a long time?  I use a portable 12v/110v Waeco fridge/freezer to store my ice.  I can fit two bags, and never have to throw any away from melting.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a fridge and also a 12v cooler, so all I need is something to make a few cubes for some drinks. I don't need anything high capacity.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Mark, do you have a generator?  If so, I'd highly recommend one of the portable ice makers.  You can make enough ice for the entire evening in an hour of running the generator (which, if you are overnighting, you'd probably run the generator that long anyhow).

But, as mentioned, there are 12V ice makers out there.  They won't keep it frozen, but you don't need that anyhow.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

No genset unfortunately. I will look out for a small 12v ice maker. Just need one for a few cubes here and there.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

RY. Long trips. Want to be self sustaining.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

Those 5 day coolers hold ice very well. You could always keep a little ice in your freezer space too. If you anchor for more than a couple days at a time, then a portable genny may help put in many ways. I guess maybe describe your typical outing, cause I'm sure between us all we have the ideas!

Typically if we overnight it will only be for the weekend. Any destination here on Lake O where you can overnight has shore power. But we could be cruising the whole day long. Generally the fridge and freezer is stocked with perishables and my 12v cooler is loaded with drinks. I don't want to add another cooler to hold ice as it is already tight on board, plus you are at the mercy of the marinas to get ice and trust me on long weekends it's a popular commodity. It would be great to have a small 12v ice maker that had storage for a tray or two of ice. Wouldn't mind if it took 4 hours or more to make a tray, as we could control our consumption to that! Lol.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

I would say a portable ice maker, left plugged in on shore power.  So, when you arrive, there is ice ready to go.  (the also have timers, so you can go down the day before and set it when to come on).  There is plenty of drinking ice in it for the day then.  When back on shore, you can make more very quickly.  But, they do take a bit of space, like a cube cooler size.  Any kind of ice maker won't be small.

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    West marine and Overton's carry 12v ice makers. As already noted they will not keep the ice frozen once made. If the ice does melt ( slow drinkers or crappy party)  some of the 12v ice makers just recycle the water to make new cubes. MT
    So drink fast! lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh yeah! :-) MT
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very cool, will have to check into this for sure!
  • Chook8Bum144000Chook8Bum144000 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where to buy a 12volt ice maker