insurance?

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure it varies by state but what are the companies I should go to for insurance quotes? The item will be a 270.....in Fl where I am out...

Thanks!

Best Answers

Answers

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    so far I have quotes from boat us (1000/2000 depending on coverage) and geico (1300), we must be a heck of a lot higher here in fl.....
  • Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I pay around $1K for my '07 320, all taxes in, with an agreed upon value of $160K. Oh yeah, about that recovery clause, it's only for the value of the boat...if the recovery is more, it comes out of your pocket... just make sure you read all the fine print because insurance companies are always looking for ways to get out of payment.
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My BoatUS policy insurses the boat for $31k agreed value, trailer for $4k, w/$300 ded, unlimited on-water towing, road hazard towing up to 100mi too. $464 ann. It renewed in April so that was even post Sandy.

Your quote for a 270 is screwed up somehow. Make sure to explain that it's normally stored on a trailer in the middle of the state not in-water on the coast.

Nobody else was even close considering the depth of coverage. The next nearest was Progressive if I had my house with them but their coverage for my house was crazy even though it's built like a bunker and 20mi from the coast. Frikken insc bs and attys who feed off it......don't even get me goin'
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Well, the rate does vary depending on how long you've been boating and how long you've been with them.  I had insurance with BUS for 12 years.  When I bought the 400, it was easier at the moment to go with another yacht policy from someone else (that is really good by the way, cause I had to use it unfortunately).  I tried to go back to BUS, well my rate skyrocketed over what it would've been if I just stayed with them initially.  I tried two more times since, but no go.  After my last claim (& first one), I am happy with my policy, although I hadn't gotten this year's invoice since the claim.

Point is, Tiki, he may have same boat, same location, but pay twice as much or more.

Just check around and compare, making sure as others mentioned you are getting everything needed.

Oh, and definitely get an unlimited towing for what works in your area.  You never know.  Believe me on this one.  For my area, BUS covers very well. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Good thought DI. Boating experience and loyalty with a known risk/client might help the actuarials better assess their potential annual risk. I'd flip if my cost doubled as some sort of corporate punishment merely because I tried another firm for a year. So much for winning a new client back with a low/competitive rate.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BoatUS has great policies, but I saved $500/year by going with State Farm.

Here's the trick: combine a boat policy with a personal liability umbrella policy.  The SF boat policy doesn't cover everything that BoatUS covers, but umbrella policy covers the difference --- AND it also acts as an extension of your homeowners and auto policies. 

Don't take insurance advice from me -- talk to your agent about it.  
    edited January 2014

sooo Daaaa-bble check eh??? :)]

State Farm ad <<<LINK>>

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pay about $600/year for my 2003 342 with a yacht policy.  Agreed value policy ~70k.  Freemont Insurance..but they specialize in the great lakes area and my insurance would go up for looping as an example. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    does your survey have any impact in the insurance quote process? Any way, thanks Tiki, sounds like I'm not getting the right number from boat us and give them a call.....
    The main premium cost for boats in the tropics was portability to run from a pending storm so owning a trailer made a huge difference. Boating experience and any recent claims were a close 2nd.

My insc renewal comes up in about 8wks so we'll see.
    on a trailer and about 10 years of boat operation experience, 0 claims on any insurance either auto or boat...
  • l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

Just to chime in on this topic, I started with an agency which wanted to get 10 hours of training with a certified captain with a license to give instruction. Boat was also in Robyn's name so they also wanted her to do the instruction  (10 hours). She did not to want to do it, did not like the captain. We switch to Progressive for 1 year. Having joined BoatUS thru West Marine I switched insurance again to BoatUS and saved some money and got great coverage. I have been with them for 4.5 years and I pay about $310 a year which covers all inland waterways, nearest ocean is 80 miles away, which I don't go to.

So...My opinion is BoatUS is a good choice.

Len

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    I've been with Boat US for 20 years no complaint only one claim but was taken care of promptely

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
    thanks all, I will be signing up with boat us for 595!