Starting question

jreaujreau Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
I have a 1994 fiesta vee 265 with a factory rebuilt 5.7 long block installed by a mercruiser dealer with about 150 hours on it. Motor runs fine ( 42mph with four people). My question is about starting after it sits for numerous days. It is not fuel injected and it may just be the nature of the beast with non fuel injected engines but after sitting for days It seems as though I have to pull gas all the way from the tank to get it started. Does the gas leak back down after days of not running and is that normal? If so is there anything that can be done to prevent that such as a one way check valve or something?

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I understand you correctly you have a carbed 5.7? If so, to facilitate starting after a couple of days (or anytime it's "cold") pre-prime it by pumping the handle a couple of times, then start the engine. MT
  • 51719435171943 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    If the engine has a carb and "thunderbolt" ignition and the check valve is working.....just turn the key, priming will flood the motor no matter how long the engine has been idle.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    517 I had a carbed 350  with a thunderbolt IV and it had to be primed with a cold start. MT
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    It sounds like a lean cold start to me. 
    If it has a Rochester 4 bl carb on it, the automotive versions were notorious for leaking fuel out of the bowl through the 2 large rivets in the bottom. They leak (drip) very slowly and usually never case a driveability concern, but after sitting a long while, it will drain the bowl and cause a very long crank time on the first start. The fix is pretty easy and we used to do it on every carb we would rebuild. Pull the carb, remove the base plate to expose the rivets, clean the area well, and apply a coat of JB Weld to the outside of the rivets (the bottom), let dry at least 24 hours and reassemble using new gaskets.  Keep in mind the marine carbs may be different, and this may not be your problem to start with, but it sounds like it to me.
      Good luck, Bruce
    2004 250 FV 
  • Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I say it's the check valve... common problem..