lower unit question

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
Now then, this not exactly a Rinker question but since I need an answer to buy one, thought I might still get some help. My current boat, Bravo II, seems to be losing a little gear oil. I recently replaced the impeller. I whish I would have documented or at least had a better memory.  I think I have had the boat out maybe four times since. I expected the level to go done a bit once I ran it and it did and I but maybe a quarter inch in the bottle. I looked last night and it was down again about the same,,,,I can't see anywhere on the foot that is leaking and will check tonight for water in the lower unit.  Where else might it be leaking? I liked at the bottle and the line to the lower unit and don't see anything inside the boat....suggestions? Engine maybe has 200 hours on it and works perfectly....

Comments

• frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Hi rasbury, The best way is to have to lower unit pressure test it should hold 15 psi for at least one hour, also a vucum test could be done it should hold 8hg for one hour. But remember those test should be done with NO oil in the lower unit.
  • Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    It's most likely to just be air in the system. When you change your O/I oil, air is introduced into the system. Remember that you fill the O/I from the bottom until it comes out of the top oil hole. By the time you get both drain plugs installed there will be some air in the system. There is no way of bleeding the air out other than using the drives and watching the levels for a short period of time. Eventually, the level will remain the same once all the air is out of the system. I go through this every year.
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that does sound reasonable. I recall when I filled the system back up as described, from the bottom, I was surprised there was no way to bleed the air out when you fill the reservoir as that stuff is kind of heavy and just sits there.

I did drain a little oil out of the foot but not sure what I am looking at. I have read that if you have sucked some water in, your fluid will be milky. I put some in a clean glass out of the kitchen and I see the slightest trace of a lighter color thread of something there, what is the range of "milky" or am I over thinking this? The only thing I can think of, on the bravo II there is one pain the but seal between the lower halfs of the foot. I checked the area under the foot CAREFULLY as I was worried it assembled and did not fall out. I am trying to sell the boat and do not want this to come up with an issue or sell it with a known issue.  What about that oil condition? I described as best I could...

• frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    If you use synthetic oil in your lower unit it is pretty difficult to notice if there is water in there not like regular oil where water will move to the top and a milky tint, as far as what quantity is acceptable NONE. The best way is still a pressure test that should not be expensive at a local dealer . Good luck Good luck
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me ask the question in a different way- for those familiar with the O ring I mentioned above, if it did fall out when I was putting the halfs together, how quickly would the fluid go down/water come in?