Touch-up paint on Mercruiser Seacore outdrives

LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anybody know what is the best paint or process for touch-up paint on Seacore outdrives? 

My 2008 370 has Seacore Bravo 3 outdrives.  They have a few small patches of surface corrosion that need to be touched up.  I've searched the web and found no good guidance.  I know Seacore drives use an anodized finish, so I'm wary of just doing the usual sand-and-paint routine.  What's the right product to use?

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have telephoned Mercury Marine 1-920-929-5000 and Mercury Racing 1-920-921-5330 many times over the years to discuss isues and have always been referred to the correct technical advisor. If I have a particularly technical question - such as yours - I ask for an engineer in that department. I usually start the conversation with "I am a long time client of Mercury and really appreciate the service and advice I have received over the years." - which is absolutely true. That seems to get the conversation rolling in the right direction. Good luck! MT
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The excellent customer service staff at Mercury Marine sent me an excerpt from Service Manual #39 with instructions for repainting Mercruiser outdrives.  

I won't post the procedure here because the manual is copyrighted.  Merc is planning to add it to the FAQ at mercurymarine.com.  Until then, it can be found elsewhere with this Google search:  "mercruiser paint refinishing gear housing Ditzler"

The process involves a 2-part epoxy primer and a 2-part urethane top coat.  It's intended for spray application, but I'll probably use a brush.  I am only doing small touch-ups, and I don't much care whether the result is pretty.  I have an air compressor and paint sprayer, but hauling and cleaning all that gear would turn this job into a real pain in the aft-end.  

Next challenge: finding the recommended paint products.  The manual (circa 2001) recommends a Ditzler urethane paint that is no longer available. Here's the replacement:  PPG OMNI MTK9300 replaces Ditzler DU9300.  

I could not find an online retailer.  From us.ppgrefinish.com, I found a local specialty auto supply store (Total Auto Parts, Springfield VA) that can order the paint. The products needed are:

(Ditzler-PPG part numbers)
    DX-330 Wax and Grease Remover
    DX-503 Alodine Treatment
    DP-90LF Epoxy Chromate Primer
    DP-402LF Catalyst (for DP-90LF primer)
    OMNI MTK9300 black single-stage urethane paint (replaces DU9300)
    DU5 Catalyst (for MTK9300 paint)

Buying minimum quantities, the kit will cost around $200.  That's more expensive than aerosol cans of Primocon + Trilux.  The question is, will it be more durable?