35mm film camera

l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

Hi again.......

Just wondering if anyone here has not been happy with digital cameras. I have used 35mm slr most of my life and have good point and shoot  (Nikon digital) camera. I have taken old photos from my slr  and scanned then and the detail of it is so much better than digital when you enlarge it. I am thinking about going back to film when I see something really nice. Does anyone here have a opinion about this???????

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In digital, it's all about more pixels for clarity.  However, you are always taking analog and converting it to digital so something gets lost.  I think the purists love film (and vinyl records) for that reason.  But it's hard to beat a digital for a quick picture and knowing how it looks in an instant! 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a Olympus E20N back in '02, when they first hit the market.. I think it was a true 6mpx.. had all the filters and a telescopic lenses for it, as well as a wide lenses magnifier thingy thing..

It ate batteries like it was cool..

I took a pic in the inland sea of Qatar while four wheeling, of a distant horse race.. they were easily three miles away from me, and the lead horse and rider was easily half a mile ahead of the trailing horse and rider.. they were racing in a straight line, obviously.. I cropped the top and bottom off that pic, and it appeared to be a carefully staged panoramic shot, complete with setting sun.. it looked like a window into the past, as the Arabs riding were in traditional clothing and using traditional tack..

I also got some really good shots of the four wheeling, and one in particular looking up to the ridgeline of a dune with the sun also casting red behind what turned out to be a silhouette..

I grasp the concepts of photography, but I am a few rungs behind a beginner in practice... I take a LOT of shots to make up for that.. out of likely 1k shots taken that day (not exaggerating) there were no more than maybe two dozen keepers, and that one of the race that is the best pic I've ever taken, likely.

Digital SLR all the way, man.. I can't imagine developing all that film to find two dozen decent shots only.. that Olympus had every setting imaginable including a 1:50k shutter speed in fast side, and 8min auto exposure on slow side, or manual as long as you hold the button.. I got a really cool shot from one of our hides once, at night across the desert of a passing cars tail lights, and used the camera itself to wash out the headlights and retain the red of the tail lights.. I jarred the tripod, though, and it didn't settle in the same spot, so it blurred up just enough to distort it..

I sold that camera in '04 to a reporter who had broken his, and who didn't have a functional back up either.. I made a mint off that clown, who was trying his level best to cast troops in an unfavorable way..

I've got a stack of CF cards in the safe.. I should see if I can find those pics..
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Man what ironic timing of this post. I just gave away my 30y/o 35mm camera, lenses and all the gear I had to a kid this morning. I shot and manually tracked tons of really Looonnnggg (30min+) exposure astronomy images with it but newer digital tracking images at a 10th as long are far better than the best eye and steadiest hand can get. Had 12" Schmidt Cassigrain telescope rigged to the nines for it's time. Aside from that, my travel shots are almost always the best with a camera that is high quality but discreet instead of a burdensome appendage, which even the new DSLRs can become.

High quality digital imager and good glass (lenses) are everything you'll ever need today at a fraction of the weight and size. Luckily battery tech is light years ahead of what drew was using in '03 too. And most will do double duty as high quality digi vid cams too.

Research nice small cameras and you'll use it far more often. It's been said that the camera that gets the best images is the one that you'll actually carry with you when life is happening.......or something like that. KISS is a good rule.

Again, get high quality glass, body and memory cards. Asking somebody about which camera brand is the best to buy is like asking somebody which boat brand is the best so I'll refrain. I've pretty much been around the 35mm hill and prefer high quality smaller digital eqt...... and dark rum with tanned women. Just sayin' :D

Good luck and post some pics. Mike
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    i still only shoot in film. i have a dslr that collects dust. films is the way to go!
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I'm posting this comment with my 56K modem hooked up to a payphone. After this I'm going home to listen to the Captain & Tennille on the 8-track. If you need to reach me, I have my pager.
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that's some funny sheet   =)) =)) ^:)^
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl