Options

Canvas screen

jaubryjaubry Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
Has anyone had canvas screen made for the cockpit area? I have the large panel at the back, however, I'd like to create more airflow and was thinking it should be easy to either have screen installed or have 2 corner panel made from screen and the walk thru window as well. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    It gets pretty humid for a fan up here. And I want to keep the bugs out. So the screen option looked like it would be better then chasing bugs with an electric swatter and a fan blowing the hot, humid air.
  • Options
    330 EC with the camper package. However, it only has one screen in the back panel.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did this when I had new canvas made.  Screen panels for the two aft sides, rear and another for the one over the windshield walk through (342).  Well worth the money to put up the screens and reduce the bugs at night.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    That's what I am looking to do. So thank you for responding. I didn't want to spend the money and it's it wasted. Knowing someone else faced the same challenges and it was successful is good enough to help me clinch my decision. Thanks BD
  • Options
    Mine are complete panels, zip and snap right on in place of the eisenglass.  The screens roll up nice to store.  I even made (thanks to mother-in-law) fabric pockets for every piece of eisenglass too, keeps the scratches down.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    On our last boat, I almost pulled the trigger on having the canvas shop make me a front windshield piece that was made of screen instead of eisenglass.  I figured the ventilation would be be great, but with the northern weather so unpredictable, I was worried about waking up to a soaking wet cockpit some morning.  The rear panels would be a great idea, and if it did rain, it would just be the back portion of the cockpit, so not a big deal.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    The screen used on mine is a thicker mesh, while it won't stop rain, it does good keeping mist at bay.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be doing this also in the near future. Our camper canvas doesnt have any screens, just roll-up center sections on the windshield & stern sections. I know its pretty easy for most competent canvas shops to do it right. Still makes me nervous to have them slicing up my new eisenglass though.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Use separate panels, don't cut your eisenglass.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean use separate panels? Buy a 2nd set?

I dont have much of an option but to put the screens in the glass:

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Hmm true with the OEM canvas. My new canvas is not set up that way over the windshield. You can do a 2nd set of screen panels.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    kneedeepkneedeep Member Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    I have a complete second set of canvas with screens. I usually boat to newport, ri or block island, ri & it isn't buggy in those places, so I have never used the screens - I took them off the boat.
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    My 320 came with only a screen on the back so I brought my top to a canvas shop and had two screened side curtains put in and a screen in the center for the front. I had the shop put a upside down smiley in the front so I can still keep it partially open in the rain. I also redesigned the back curtain to be three pieces instead of one. Now I get perfect ventilation regardless of wind direction. <script charset="UTF-8" src="chrome://hdv/content/hdv.js" type="application/javascript"></script>
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Yes, on my previous boat (310), I had the center zip out in the front and zip right in a screen. It really let the air flow while on the hook. If you think about it, the air is coming from the front on the hook, so zipping in a screen there will let it happen (my back had a zip out area of isinglass with screen there).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    She CaptainShe Captain Member Posts: 26 ✭✭

Last year we just had a complete camper canvas made for our 290. So tired of fighting those darn blood sucking mosquitoes and leaky corners of the canvas when it rained. We had a three panel transom curtain made with the heavy duty center screen and rear port and starboard curtains with screens. The canvas shop also made a zip and snap in screen for the windshield walk thru. It was a big investment but worth every penny. It was just what we needed and can't wait to spend a night out in the bay on the hook without the hassle of bugs.

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    The other thing I had the canvas shop do was to install straps on all curtains (includes the front and back) . This allows me to roll up all the curtains without having to store anything. The nice thing about rolling up your curtains, when bad weather shows up unexpectedly, I simply release all the snaps and the curtains fall right into place only having to snap them up at the bottom. I can close my entire boat up in no time without trying to figure out which side curtain goes where and etc. It also allows me to use all the storage areas you need to store your top curtains for other things.