Options

GPS/Fishfinder

MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
Can any one recommend a color fish finder gps ti install on a 2013 rinker 260. Also where did you install it. Can it be epoxied in the bilge. Pictures would be appreciated

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike, I've been fishing hardcore for a while. Setup my 260 EC with 6 rod holders, downriggers, GPS/fishfinder, depth finder, etc.

How much money do you want to spend on a GPS/Fishfinder.  On the low end you can look at the Lowrance Elite 5 series, but honestly that is what I started with (a good unit) and for a few more bucks I upgraded to the Lowrance HDS series - they have a way more powerful sonar. Also, they are able to read bigger map chipsets. The Elite can only read map cards of 2GB in size, whereas the HDS can read map cards up to 64GB, which means you can load more detailed, larger blue water charts.  The HDS also works with XM Satellite to download weather, and plots it directly on your screen, so you kind of get a radar image overlay, really cool. 5" is the smallest I would go, and to be honest a 7" screen would be way better.

As for mounting, there's no choice but to install a mount at the helm. I ordered a RAM mount, good quality.  See picture below for position. It works well there as you can keep one eye on the horizon and one eye on the fishfinder.  You can position it any angle you want with the RAM mount.

photo Helm_zps2c2f5cdd.jpg

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MIKES342MIKES342 Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    I would be using it for inland water. I like to see what is under the boat. Mostly panfish for my grandson alps for watching the contour of the bottom while moving toward the beach. I would spent around $400.00
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike I would recommend going for the Elite 5 for that budget. It will do good. If you want detailed charts of the area then you should consider the HDS, but it will cost around $800.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"