how many led lights are needed to properly light up the back of my 2000 310 fiesta vee

help with underwater light placement, and type 

Best Answer

Answers

• jmoen438jmoen438 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    3 or 4 should do. I have the seablaze 3 and they work well.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could also google the Ocean LED site for examples. MT
  • johnmojohnmo Member Posts: 5
    Thanks three is the magic number one centered inside the drives and the other two nearest the outside below the water line but the hull above the tabs are curved down where would you position them and on the 2000 the drives are recessed back about a foot
  • jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    I just ordered the "liquid lite" 6 Led light set. This is a replacement for your drain plug and eliminates the need to drill through your transom. Not sure if this is to good to be true, but we will see this season?
  • qwikwhipqwikwhip Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    I have one of the drain plug led's and used it on my last boat. You could barely tell it was even on unless it was pitch black out and you were looking for it. This falls into the category of "you get what you pay for".
    2005 Captiva 232 Liberty Edition, MX6.2/B3, Corsa
    yes i believe only having one in the drain plug hole is not enough light, plus if you only have one drive it will block the light from radiating out behind your boat.
    It did actually give a cool "Y" pattern behind the outdrive, it just wasn't enough light.
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you have the updated 6 LED liquid lite's?
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
    No, it's a 3 led unit.
    I wonder how much better the updated 6 LED units are. I'd like some LED's for nighttime swimming and showing off, but not at the expense of holes in the transom....
    The one I bought was only $40. So it was worth a shot. I have a hard time justifying the cost of the bigger ones. I thought about surface mounting some of the less expensive non under water units to the underside of the swim platform. Anyone done something like that?
  • jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    I purchased the 6 led drain plug unit - $199. The plan is to wire it with a release clip (for removing drain plug in winter) and powering it from the interior deck lights (mine are blue LEDs). We will see if its worth the effort? I know it's done all the time, however I'm not one to drill through the transom. Just my personal preference. Btw - I boat in boston harbor so not sure how clear or bright any light would be!
    Please post pics after its installed. I am considering the same unit from liquid lite, but I wonder how much the outdrive will affect the light output.
    i went to the st louis boat show last weekend and bought 3 18 led surface mount lights in blue, i still have to drill a 3/8 hole per light but looks easy enough to do and the lights are very bright. should look great at night
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be sure to use 3M 5200 sealant. It is for underwater use. When I installed mine, I squirted the sealant in the wire hole as well. What brand lights did you get?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    h2o glow the company is only a few years old they have been producing underwater lighting for docks and recently started making transom lighting looks like a high quality product only time will tell comes with a five year no questions asked warranty
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    quickwhip, make sure that any led you buy for above water mounting is designed for that application. Some leds need to be installed under water or they will burn-out or shatter.Better to check than replace. MT