Options

Fuel pressure tester

frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
Hi, Would anybody know if this fuel pressure tester would work with Mercruiser 5.0 MPI ? It has the GM adapter for the shreader valve. Thanks Paul

Comments

• Options
    Hi drew, Thanks for the info. Paul
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you planning on permanently mounting this, or using it as a diagnostic tool?

if you're permanently mounting it, I'd get a look at the hoses first, and make sure they are compatible with gasoline AND high pressure (such as found in fuel injection hoses).. Goodyear makes a hose that is compatible and will operate in the pressure ranges- it has a blue colored interior lining... It's not cheap as far as hoses go, but it's a lot cheaper than having a rupture and spraying fuel everywhere and the implications of such..

A lot of folks will intercept the cross over hose and snag a reading from there (most often, these rails don't have schreader valves; the majority of the components in your picture are related to this approach)... they don't think to use qualified hose, and use el cheapo hoses provided in most kits.  that is a bad idea.  do yourself a favor, especially if you plan on mounting this thing as a permanent fixture and use the goodyear hoses.  If you're just using it as a diagnostic tool, you'll be fine with just the gauge, and the short hose to the fitting..
  • Options
    Hi drew Really good Infos. This is only for diagnostic purpose. But I do have a question for your, the tool package said it will fit American car from 1980 -1998, would you know if the schrader valve size for those years is the same size as for the 5.0 l Mercruiser 2007 If I opened the package it can't be returned.
  • Options
    To my knowledge and experience, they are the same exterior dimensions whether found on a tire, a HVAC system, a shock or a fuel rail and anything in between.. I bet the Apollo all the way through the shuttle programs had a few, and I know for a fact of some high tech weapons systems that use em.. the caveat: though exterior dimensions are the same, some applications have a shroud exterior to the valves threads that will only allow a certain type coupler to marry the valve...almost like a key, if you would..the good thing is it is clearly evident by looking at it to see if it is keyed.. I'm willing to bet yours are not keyed, and a standard fitting will work as intended.
  • Options
    An one more thing, FWIW: that kit uses freakin hose clamps... That is a horrible notion.. a fuel injection clamp is made for a reason.. a hose clamp? Not a good idea...