Options

Installing a shoot thru hull transducer

JOHNR301JOHNR301 Member Posts: 9
I have an EC 360 and just replaced my Lowrance HDS 5M GPS with a Lowrance HDS 8, as the HDS 5 didn't have a transducer I am thinking about purchasing a Lowrance shoot thru hull transducer. Has anyone installed this type of transducer on a 360, if so, how does it work and what is the best location to install this?
Post edited by JOHNR301 on

Answers

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    edited February 2014
    Mount the transducer in a location that you can reach in a emergency.  In the unlikely event that the transducer breaks off or comes out, you should be able to reach it and jam in an emergency plug (which you will keep hanging nearby in a well-labeled plastic bag!)

In other words, don't mount the transducer in a place that's impossible to reach.  

On my 342, it's mounted just forward of the stbd engine, about a foot from the keel.
  • Options
    LaRea Thank you for your reply, however I was referring to a shoot thru hull transducer which gets epoxied to the inside of the boat therefor I won't have to drill a hole in t he boat.
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    The location of a shoot thru is the same as a standard transducer. Mine is in the same location as LaRea. Stay with in the first chime. Any further out the choppy water creates air bubbles under the hull and makes the reading irregular. Also be sure you purchase the correct deadrise angle to match your hull deadrise. You want the transducer firing straight down for best results.

LG
  • Options