Options

342 Switch Panel

Calling all experts! The panel lights are not working on my main panel in the cabin of my 342. Have any of you done this and what bulbs does it use? Thx

Comments

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    CL, Do you have a way to get to the bulbs?  I have a few that have failed.  My solution is a flashlight stored in the little storage compartment below the panel.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bugger to pull the panel.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    edited February 2014
    Does anybody have access to postings from the old Rinker forum?  A couple years ago, I posted a detailed DIY write-up on exactly this topic.  Unfortunately, I didn't save a copy.  

Short version: To remove the breaker panel, you first have to remove the plexiglass door and frame.  On my boat, the cabinets did not leave not enough clearance to remove the door frame (common problem).  After trying many different approaches over 2-3 years without success, I went with "the nuclear option" -- I broke the door frame to get it out.  After that, removing the breaker panel itself was relatively straightforward (though not an easy job).  

To reinstall the door frame, I cut off the two horizontal top/bottom pieces of the frame (which were cracked from the removal process).  I only installed the two vertical side pieces, which hold the hinges and latch.  It looks fine, is fully functional, and can be easily removed for future work.  A casual observer would never notice the modification.  The key is to cut/break the frame in the center, and leave the left/right sides undamaged. 

There is not a lot of slack in the wires that feed into the panel, so it is difficult to pull the panel out far enough to work on it.  I think I had to remove the refrigerator to free up some cables and allow enough slack to pull the breaker panel out.  

I don't recall the model of the bulb, but it's easy enough to find them online once you have an old bulb to look at for reference.  Obviously, you should replace ALL of the bulbs, not just the ones that burned out.

Do it -- you will like having all of the panel lights working again.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I did mine panel a few years ago and to be honest its not worth the work to change those lamps. I do not use them unless I have to so they last longer. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    CrewLoungeCrewLounge Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Has anyone worked on the panel on a 360? I know the location is different than the 342 as the panel location is in a cabinet on the starboard side just Forward of the mid cabin couch. I am about to embark on installing a bow thruster and "I think" the best way to wire the charger for the thruster batteries would be to hook into the currently unused bow thruster breaker. However I certainly don't want to have the same problems you guys mention with removing the 342 panel. Does anyone have insight on the best way to wire the charger? Should I connect to the main panel or would it be easier to wire a breaker closer to the charger and thruster motor more towards the bow? I'm looking for an easy albeit correct way to wire this charger and thruster. I would greatly appreciate your guys feedback.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    I think they figured out the problem after a while, and adjusted the size of the frame for easier removal.  You should have no problem with it.

My thruster has a breaker called "thruster charger."  Up in the bow, there is the thruster with its own separate battery and charger.  Otherwise, you would need enormous power cables to bring juice all the way up from the engine room.