Options

So how does this work? Rinker 270

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
First day out went extremely well. I was really worried about the ramp as the water levels have dropped and it is a pretty darn big boat. My local ramp is meant for more average size bass/john/cuddy type...we did very well getting in and out.  Power: while I had my boat out front I had it plugged in to charge as I had been running lights/radio etc., when I got to the ramp on battery one it was sketchey starting but it did. Then, I noticed on the power panel a switch for the charger as well as the other accessories.... I assume since it was in the off position, when I had it plugged in it was not charging? Also, surprised to see there is not some sort of meter to see the state of charge of the batteries? I ran the gen set for about an hour and it died...Need to go through that as with 21 hours on it previous owner never touched it...my list to fix is the gps is not getting a signal but works, wind lass does not work, spot light bulb and a couple of other running lights are out....not major stuff so far!

Comments

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Yes you need to have the charger switch on for it to charge. I can't recall but I thought my 270 had a voltage meter over the dc panel. Does it not? Isn't there a voltage gauge in the dash? Oh yes the genny blues. Hopefully the lines aren't gunked up from ethanol gas sitting. The gennys are known for eating plugs too.
  • Options
    ithacarinkithacarink Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    On my 270 the panel meter is for AC voltage. Unfortunately no dc voltage meter standard. As Craig said the panel must be on and then the charger breaker on. Sorry no advice on the generator, that's one option I don't have. Good luck
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the genny is a Kohler 5e: change the plugs (2). They eat them. Search on here, many threads.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Oh yes, now it's time to getting all the little fixes done. Glad to hear you got her out and having fun! I think most things have been answered already. The genny, definitely start with plugs (there are two, back one might need a monkey). Windlass could be a breaker pulled (there is usually a separate one on or near the helm somewhere). Generator, you may also want to check fluids (oil) and did you have adequate water out the exhaust. I would say you should replace impellers on it and the engine if you do not know their condition.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Good call on replacing the impellers on the engines/gen set, almost certainly no good.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Also as for the windlass on my 360 there is a breaker at the helm and one at the battery selector. If I recall I think my 270 was the same. Last year I started dragging anchor in the middle of the night when a storm rolled through. I pulled the anchor to reset and in doing so popped the fuse at the selector. At the time I didn't know about that one. Backup anchor wouldn't hold and I found myself navigating a narrow channel during low tide to get to a fuel dock that was close by. You will have lots of stories as you figure these things out I'm sure.
  • Options
    I need to do a little research on the breakers on the battery selector and use of the dual batteries keeping things charged up so I will work on my next how does this work question...I went ahead and turned on the battery charger and turned the battery off and plugged it in before I covered it up. I also reviews the trouble shooting/service on the gen and heat was my first thought and the impeller which looks like a simple change and will check all the other levels etc...21 hours on the gen. Also, have the installation guide on the windlass and reviewing that wiring/fuses and breakers. I see a fuel filter sitting in front of the gen...can't hurt to replace...when it quit it kind of had the running out of gas sound-rpm went up and died. Tried to restart at the ramp and would ruffly start so I quit. Fuel water separator on the genny? don't see one in the book. Just need to work out the kinks and will be good to go I am sure!
  • Options
    and I do not see any other meter for the batteries- volt meter on the dash but all I see so far...waiting for Tiki to chime in
  • Options
    So the 'running out of gas' sound from your gen: spark plugs!! It will also shut down from over heating if the impellor is bad - juat replace and don't second guess. If pieces are missing you may need to backflush the heat exchanger. There is no water/fuel filter for the gen. I removed the fuel filter at the gen fuel pump pita to get at, I have an in line filter.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Well, congrats. It's official!

That's some great advice so far on the genset. My kohler 5e has worked flawlessly so..... I just jinxed myself, I'm sure. I got nothing to add to the genset saga that others have had.

My windless is my pride and joy after many many years of hauling in my Rochna hook by hand on other boats.......actually the Admiral was my windless God bless her. :D As was said check the fuses but mine had been abused by a captain/prior owner who would drag the boat fwd with the windless rather than motoring fwd only haulin in slack line or laying on the windless while at anchor w/o cleating the line. Constant/repetitive wave action will eventually kill a gear box. One boat unit and a rebuild now has it working like a brute.

Don't screw around with unknown batteries, just pull them (the terminals deserve attn anyway) and go down to the auto parts store and get them BOTH load tested. If they're ANYWHERE near their lifespan then replace them both. By the way.....NEVER move the battery selector switch with the engine/genset running.......EVER.

Yeah, it's a big boat at most ramps. People are often amazed at how easily we launch it after doing it so many times. Take your time, Take your time, take your time...... and don't forget the drain plug :D

What a great weekend to be on the water. We spent 4 days out on the coast and up the Manatee river. Yesterday on the gulfside of Egmont key was an off the scale 10. Something tells me our next weekend trip will be down to Charlotte harbor to stay on the hook at Pelican cove. We'll look fwd to having you and your crew over here soon to have a Rinker weekend. Cya. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So the 'running out of gas' sound from your gen: spark plugs!! It will also shut down from over heating if the impellor is bad - juat replace and don't second guess. If pieces are missing you may need to backflush the heat exchanger. There is no water/fuel filter for the gen. I removed the fuel filter at the gen fuel pump pita to get at, I have an in line filter.
    this is a curiosity to me.... I don't want to hijack this thread, so I started a new one here....