Options

Kohler Genset issues... just wondering... there has to be a solution.

212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't have one, but keep reading about issues dang near everyone who DOES have one has keeping it functional.

If there is interest, can we discuss this?

Comments

• Options
    I hear a lot about plug fouling... what kind of fouling happens most often?

• Options
    I see these things are throttle body injected... electronically.. so, are they PCM controlled or mechanically controlled? 
  • Options
    spec sheet

disregard my last... if I have the right one here, they are electronically controlled both fuel trim and ignition timing..

A lot can be learned from pulling a plug and getting a good look at it, and see what kind of conditions are in that chamber...

I'm guessing, it being a throttle body fuel injection, and the fact mechanical compression is so low (8.5:1, which means the dynamic compression is likely around 6.5~7:1) you guys are seeing cool fired (rich) plugs..

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that image Drew. Many problems are diagnosed with a good plug chart.

My issue is with the term often used is ......"the kohler 5e eats plugs". "Eating plugs" could mean anything, and I have no idea if it's meant to say fouled or gapped from excess heat. Thanks for starting a thread that might also have a knowledge base link to all the insight that's been shared by others to get these back in running order. DI has been around the hill on these as others have too...... some are still looking for the elusive magic bullet......before they actually put one into their genset.

I haven't had any issues with my 5e and so maybe regular use is somewhat of an answer in keeping fresh fuel in the system rather than letting tiny ports get varnished up. The other thing I've NEVER done is use fuel with ethanol or delay regular maintenance schedules for plugs/oil/filters/impellors. That's all I have..
    Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I bet a dollar to a doughnut that those of you who are experiencing the engine 'eating' plugs have one of two issues for fouling those plugs...

either fuel pressure is off (high pressure side, not the lift pressure), or, you have a bad injector... fuel injectors are rated to spray a precise amount of fuel, but based on a precise pressure.. the emerging industry standard for the rating (and hopefully eliminating confusion) is 43.5psi... an injector may spray 252ml of fuel per minute @ 43.5psi (which would make that injector nearing 24# injector) BUT that SAME injectors spray characteristics alter HUGELY when pressure is increased or decreased... I'm not talking it's DELIVERY (that is obviously going to change as well), but instead it's CHARACTERISTICS.

in this scenario, an injector receiving it's proper does of pressure (say 43.5psi for speaking terms) sprays a nice predictable pattern at that pressure.. but when pressure increases it becomes a pencil stream, when it is reduced it trickles.. neither of those are good for running an engine.  Both will foul a plug and wash cylinder walls w/ excess fuel.

the injector itself, if it is an older design (pre-2004 or so) it is a single hole sprayer.. newer ones use four holes to better atomize the spray.. that is very good for the engine, but, as you can imagine the four holes are smaller which allows them to become clogged easily- THAT changes the characteristics of the other three, too... Anytime you have fuel in liquid form entering the combustion chamber, you're asking for trouble.. it burns more completely when it's in tiny TINY droplets... OR.. when injection is advanced to the point the spray hits the backside of a hot intake valve just before being ingested.. this is easy to do with MPI engines, and not so easy to do with TBI engines.. the TBI maintains a a:f mix in a plenum, and stages it there to be ingested on the next breath the engine takes.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    as a side note. I met a guy 2 yrs ago at the Miami boat show in the Kohler genset display who was a Kohler engineer and I drilled him on the problems I was hearing about the 5e. I'll see if I can reach him to add his input.

All I really remember was that these are built with Kawasaki engines that have been discontinued but he felt that they were often just underutilized and became problematic from lack of attn. He said that they were fine for what they are designed to do......which sounds about right. That said, another dealer overheard our conversation and offered to buy my 5e if the pan under the engine was intact (maybe it's an indicator of how well it was maintained?).... probably for parts that couldn't be found any longer. I also went to see the Westerbeke guys this year and they'd probably be the best replacement for those who are at their wits end and depend heavily on their genset.... or can't find parts.

Like yourself I think there's a common link in what people are experiencing. Here's a few links to other 5e discussions (below) Hope this thread roots it out. Thanks for adding your insight.
    Mike

((LINK))

((ANOTHER LINK))

((YET ANOTHER LINK))
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Tiki, the fact you're conscious of using ethanol free and fresh fuel may be very important.. fresh being the most important, and ethanol free secondary.. fresh indicates that there is likely a lack of debris where if it sits too long detergents in the fuel can attack and bind to even the tiniest particle.. ethanol free means you aren't introducing a very effective solvent to the fuel systems that will attack any surfaces (painted, plastic or rubber) and create their own particles while also chemically altering the fuel itself..

Fuel Injection on small engines is a tricky thing- they are affected a lot quicker than their larger cousins by impure fuel and foreign objects in the fuel..
  • Options
    I can't find out anything about the injector itself, but I did read one source that suggested the fuel pressure is only 25psi'ish... I reckon it could be that low, but if it is it better be a pretty stout injector..

also, I noticed that Kawasaki uses a water temperature probe nearing the throttle body... presumably to determine fuel trim based on operational temperature? It would attempt to run rich at start up if so- wetter a:f ratio's are harder to ignite than leaner ones, which is the reason EFI's fatten up the pulse- wetter is less likely to pre-detonate.... that probe sending a bad signal, or the ecm/pcm operating with an unrealistic temperature table could certainly cause hard starts and fouled plugs.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    My own thoughts, they just aren't used enough. I've had both a 5E and now 7.3ECD kohler. Run them and run them often. I've not had the plug "eating" problem. I did have some issues with both units, but very different issues and the first one caused by me (& a jellyfish along with other things - like overfill tank hose not in bottom...). On current one, valve was tight causing loss of pressure in one cylinder (not sure of cause). I know many people that have 5Es and run the crap out of them. Absolutely no problems. I also know many others that don't use them much at all and always have problems. Just in my marina I bet I could come up with a dozen of each side to support that. RUN THEM OFTEN (& do it under a good load as well). Also maintain them & all will be good.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll chime in with my worldly knowledge of a 5e with problems. :)

Mine is a carburated, so the FI is out of the loop.  Since day one of the boat being new it never ran long, multiple service calls under warranty by Kohler and never a solution.  The last service call under warranty they ran it for about 8 hrs no problem, I started it up the next day while still in the service slip and it ran maybe 10 minutes before it shut down.

I never use gasoline with ethanol.  Ran a fuel line from a gas can with fresh premium gas and a bottle of gumout at one time trying to clean the fuel system out. 

Did find the OEM fuel pump electrical connection was bad (arcing too!) and hard spliced it.  Thought I had it licked at that point, but noooo.

Spark plugs: I never pulled a fouled plug out (I'm familiar with the handy chart Drew posted), but I can tell you new plugs will work as many people will attest..  I suspect they go bad internally.  The engine will run on (1) plug until you load it up, and runs fairly smooth too.

I spoke with the Kohler guys at the PowerGen show last fall..they said use a Kohler engine not the Kaw, suspect they know of issues, but not a lot one can do about changing the engine out.

I removed the fuel filter at the fuel pump and use an in-line one that was installed by Rinker.  The one at the fuel pump is a pita to get to, at least on my 342.

So, in ~60 days when I go back in the water I'll retest my 'solution' from my saga last fall on fixing this thing: leave the service cover off the sound shield.  I ran it fine with it off after all my shotgun repair tatics, put the cover on and it died again, cover off it runs fine.  Either a lack of air for the engine or fuel line over heating (runs right next to the coil - verified this last weekend).

If ever given a choice in the future I would pay a premium to install a Westerbeke. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD, man I feel for your issues. I just cannot imagine having a boat your size with a non-functioning genny! It does sound like you are on to something. As I said earlier, my 7.3ECD had a few issues for a bit that ended up being one valve was too tight (and yes, it ran on basically one cylinder like you said). Figured it was that way since new, and carbon build up probably got to it over time. It would have no issues when I took it in, but had issues for me. Long story short, one of the things they mentioned to me is it has a sensor for CO. If it detects CO, it shuts off & as long as it detects it, it won't run. Not sure if yours has that sensor, but maybe there is a small leak and with the cover it detects it after a bit? I am really looking forward to hearing your solution and you having a functional generator! Please keep us updated. Drew, great chart on plugs!

• Options
    ...an arcing fuel pump connection... not two things that'd be a good combination.

Wasn't there other input/threads/knowledge base data on this issue. All I found were the manual and the 3 threads I posted above. Maybe the others were from the previous site that was lost.

Is there a list of versions/variations based on mfg date? Is there some mfg date that might have been problematic and was later rectified?? Are the fuel injected models before/after a certain date problematic/trouble free?

DI may be on to something with a CO det. Even if it's defective/hypersensitive.

I've been holding my breath on this everytime I hit the start switch. Can't imagine not having my genset after getting used to it. Good luck with that upcoming startup BD.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yuk, I to have the 5E and really wanted to have a factory installed so everything worked correctly.....opps. I did pull the service cover off to get the numbers off, was on my way to west marine as I have a gift card but they don't carry the parts. I have an operation manual but want to get the service manual for both- go to kohler for that or will your local boat dealer have them? Was very disappointed to see that the drain pan had some serious rust.  Also noticed the top cover two screws in the rear were sticking out like someone had been here before. I need to get my hands on the manual, pull off the shields and do all of the regular maintenance so I have a base point to start. The operation manual describes the 2nd plug being on the non serviceable side- do you have to unbolt the genney and pull it forward or just a nice way to say pita? I will track down the service manuals before I put a wrench to it.....
  • Options
    Ras, you will need to remove the top and front sound shield to get to the second plug. I'd guess it was never changed. You'll find that most stuff you will just buy online or a favorite local marina. I believe the manuals are listed on the Library here. As far as rust, well, at some point putting something under it would help.

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    I know on my genny I replaced the plugs and the old ones looked just like the brand new ones. One time the genny would not run on new plug and replaced plugs that were never used and ran fine after that. What a PITA. Bottom line is if you need your genny for a weekend or trip. Take spare plugs.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I can't wrap my brain around plugs that look fine not working... What I can wrap my brain around is a faulty coil.. I've seen this happen before, especially when using accel coil packs.. they are seemingly solid state and are filled with epoxy that isolates the charge.. the problem with them is that the pour wasn't consistent and there are bubbles/air in the epoxy that allows a hot spot and ultimately a ground right through the casing to usually the block, where they are mounted...

If you remove the plugs, chances are you bumped the coil (via the plug wire) and cause the wire to be the path of least resistance once more, until it gets hot and finds ground elsewhere again..

One of my famous lines in another forum is "is yer coil fellow?... If so throw it as far as you can and get an OE one"..

BD, you asked me before somewhere about using an MSD coil in the stead of the OE.. they are called 'coil near plug' packs, and they intercept the plug wire (regardless of charge) and use it as a signal to send a pretty stout charge to the plug.. they are a pretty easy way to amp up your ignition..

Coil packs usually are relatively cheap.. it may be worth your effort to swap them, and carefully inspect the casing.
  • Options
    Rasbury - and others with a 5e, 7.3e 

A note on the spark plugs, the ones called out for the engine are incorrect for the gen set, you need the ones to fit the gen set (long nose, I use NGK BPR 4ES).  I can speak for my 342 set up, the back plug is a Helen Keller project lol  Just got to feel around for the plug wire and then the plug to remove, it is not too bad, need a universal joint with an extension.  The water pump on mine you literally have to lay over the genset squished between it and the boat deck, claustrophobia types beware.  8-X

With the exception of spark plugs, fresh water pump, oil filter (5e filters: Kohler 359771 or Fram PH4967) and oil, almost all parts need to be ordered from a dealer of some sort.

I ordered parts from these guys last year and they have technical help too: (the web site seems messed up as of this posting)

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Drew makes a good point on the coil. Intermittent problems often disappear/reappear temporarily when we're in there moving stuff around or running temps are reached. I agree that new plugs that replace plugs that also look new is an odd deal. I'd be interested in some detail on those MSDs too.

I wonder what other eqt has this same Kawasaki engine and whether they have similar issues.

BD, That's a great accumulation of info.  I'll be bookmarking this thread under 5e info for the day when my luck runs out or my coil/genset gets a personality issue. in the mean time I'll keep running it as often as possible. Great input on these beasts and good to know.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

Still don't see an MSD that would hook up to this, but I may well be missing something.  The 5e (and the 7.3e) has (2) coils and (1) igniter.  If my issues re-appear this spring, I might just replace them too and see what happens, there are only so many parts on this thing to replace. 8-} 

The engine itself was very popular on lawnmowers..but almost always the air cooled version as the liquid cooled versions have too many problems due to user abuse and lack of TLC (regardless of engine type) - think commercial mowers and the yahoos who drive them.  In that business the Kaw engines are highly regarded. 

This is the replacement OEM coil..guess you have to crimp your own connector for the spark plug and reuse the spark plug boot.  Replacing the non-service side coil might be a big pita, I'll have to look before I jump on that.  Another Boat Unit for (2) new ones :)  Interesting this part is at the top of the page for replacement parts, usually an indication of frequent replacement in my experience.  http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/359784-coil-ignition-kohler-p-897.html

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

If anybody's interested I found the guys name that I met in Miami at the show, Mike Potter of Noahs ark repair in Cocoa Beach Fl. Also spoken highly of by others across the country on similar forums.

Here's an interesting quote from a genset consumer from another cruisers forum.....

"After following these message boards for the past 9 years and reading just about every generator thread ever put up, I have come to three conclusions...
    1. you need to run these thing UNDER LOAD to keep them happy
    2. whether its QS, WB, Kohler or Onan, they're all quirky and if you survey multiple owners of each brand you will get an equal number of major gripes and major satisfaction.
    3. see 1. "

If there's a common denominator in all gensets it seems to be circuit boards and sensors......aggravated by long periods of no use and a marine/salt/moist environment. I know the very shallow gutter that runs around the edge of the engine compartment on my 270 happens to run RIGHT over the control box on my Kohler. It's a wonder it'd last a year getting spill-over with each rainstorm or spilled rum n coke....... Hey, maybe it's the r/c that's been neutralizing the salt on mine giving me a more reliable genset... hmmm.
  • Options

BD, that is a bit interesting the way the coil is right there at the top. I'd be curious how many are sold and how often. 

Tiki, you are so right running them under load.  There is a really good & knowledgeable person on the BoatUS forum (Kapt Keith) that does nothing but repair these generators.  He also says the best thing is to run them under load.  He's helped me (& many others) with Kohler issues.  I also like the rum/coke!  Mine gets the red Mai Tai's on it!

8-|

• Options
    for what it's worth, I would highly recommend using a new boot and wire, and at least 8mm.. SummitRacing has all manner of boots and wires.

http://www.kawasakipartstore.com/?gclid=CNDN44KWjb0CFRJo7AodQWAAyw#/Kawasaki_Engine/FD501D-AS00_4_Stroke_Engine_FD501D/ELECTRIC-EQUIPMENT/FD501D-AS00/99910-A6090070

there is no MSD that is a direct replacement... there is a host of MSD and other ignition suppliers that can be implemented via moderate surgery..

I doubt your ignitor is fouled.. I'm placing all bets on coil.. the symptoms of coil failure is rarely an all out stoppage, but instead something that feels precisely like a really bad case of predetonation, or better described as loss of power and sputtering accompanied by a sound that resembles a bunch of marbles in a tin can.. the engine usually 'winds down', and may or may not match spark to RPM again before dying.  often times a bad coil will make starting hard or impossible, but when you bump them they fire right up.. I've never opened one up, but I've been told it's usually a break in the insulator which allows a hot spot to deteriorate the coiling, and promotes grounding through the casing.  It makes them a bear to track down... my first personal experience with a bad coil ever happened right after a tune up- and when I thought to replace it.. ordered it and put it on a few days after the tune up (yamaha moto).. less than 50 miles later the problems started.. I thought I'd wired it incorrectly... nope.. I thought I may have broken a plug wire.. nope.. I lost power and coasted to a stop, pulled the seat off and put my hand on that coil and it was hotttttttt... I put the old coil back on there and never had a problem again...

when they cool off and the wiring of the coil itself contracts, they usually fire right back up.. the loss of conductivity due to broken continuity may be very slight and allow the juice to jump- but only in certain RPM ranges (which may be attributable to 'load')... just tapping the coil after a crash can often get them to work again, albeit in a diminished capacity.. (which is what I did on the side of the road with that yami... understand I was young and didn't know that would fix it, I just wanted to hurt it back ) :-)

I think I've talked myself into believing the coil(s) are the primary issue with those things... and it fits the descriptions you fellers explain of 'hard starts', 'running for a while them dying', ect....  

• Options
    re: MSD replacement

you have an ignitor which sends signal for spark based on cranks position rather than a dizzy.  the coil is a coil is a coil, it uses two wraps of wire to create a magnetic field, and based on the number of 'wraps' increases voltage (momentarily) when the circuit is interrupted.  they all use ketters principle to do this.. some leak more than others and lag (dwell) either hot or cold, running out of spark (high rpm) or generating too hot a spark (low RPM) both of which affect performance. 

The request for 'under load' supports this, as a properly temp'd system is cleaner (too hot an ignition will burn up parts, too cool will allow deposits to form).

an MSD doesn't use ketters principle as it's sole means to generate the spark, which means it can produce a much more reliable and fatter spark.  you MUST gap your plugs wider, though, or you'll blow the tips right off them.. the wider plugs also allow the 'fatter' spark to ignite more a:f instantly as opposed to initial spark igniting the rest of it.. hence: better, cleaner performance.  Your systems use an ignitor which maps crank position and timing.. you can't lose it.. you can lose the coil following it, though, and there are a host of coils that can do the job, so long as it is a single channel coil and fits in the space.  Be advised, though, too hot a spark can cause issues too.. I choose the MSD as it draws it's own power which eliminates running out of spark, and also a more consistent spark across the RPM spectrum, which means a better start and low RPM function.

if you're looking for a direct plug in replacement and think that is what I was inferring, let me make it clear i wasn't.. you'll have to connect your own leads which is easy to do if you use a coil that generates all it's power via ketters principle, or.. you'll have to lead to a power source AND connect to your ignitor as well if you select an MSD style ignition.  it's not hard, though, and doing so will move you fellers away from the coils you have presently to one a whole lot less likely to give up the ghost on you.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Well that cinches it..... I'll have to go with OEM. :D Trying to decide whether you've chosen the right coil would be a trial/error affair with numerous swaps to get it right....or not.

Some other comments on the forums say that it may be the circuit boards failing on some units and that a swap fixes the issue until the board fails again. One poster and high hour user of his Kohler 5e has been through 5 boards in the years he has used his. Again, the location of those control boxes and the wet enviroment they live in seems to lead to an early (if not erratic) demise. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see if fresh/saltwater is overrunning a poorly designed engine hatch gutter and dumping right on a genset that it'd cause trouble and rather predictably poor performance.

And then it's sensors that sniff and test flow and levels of a host of delicatly balanced ranges, any of which can mess up my plans.

It'd be great if it was simply one weak link causing such frustration but it's probably a few things in some sort of descending order of frequency based on the type of use, date of mfg and environment it lives in. I'd hope this thread can lead somebody with a cranky genset to the top 5 most likely problems and solutions for their situation but I guess the manual and the trouble shooting page is just such a resource for a new genset, while the value of our captains and the combined real world fixes we've found are even more likely to be what users will need.

Luckily we have some pretty astute gear heads floatin' around here on the Rinker forum who know far more than me. Sure has been interesting so far.
    Mike
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I find a lot of the times it's not the generator but an issue with the fuel delivery.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    So following up on my 5e status: 

After all the work, efforts, busted knuckles, money...as of last fall it looked like leaving the sound enclosure service panel off made it run right.

Flash forward: spent a 4 day weekend at a new marina in St. Joe, MI that did not have power to the docks yet.  Ran my genny virtually all weekend and no issues.  Finally after 11 years a working genset!  I probably added 30% more hours to it this past weekend that it had since new, that's how unreliable mine was.  Bonus: the wedding I was at had Kate Upton in it :)

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting that Westerbekes have no cover on them. BTW I was wondering why a kohler generator I saw in an EC 350 had a custom plastic cover (looked like from a large plastic tote box) suspended (in a very professional manner) by the seller over the generator. I bet it was some sort of drip shield. MT
  • Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    While not kholer gen related thanks for the chart drew, used it to diagnose engine issues in my bug!
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    RY did your not come with a cover?  Curious why the gasser would and diesel wouldn't?  I can't imagine the diesel is any quieter.
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Mine is off at this point and I don't plan on putting it back on until winterizing.