how does this work electrical

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
My job is really starting to impede my progress here..... From the survey, the winless does not work and the spotlight on the front light is out, rotates but no light.  Also, I think the ship to shore does not come on but have not messed with that yet but the first think I went looking for is a fuse- I only see breakers and I don't see any way to inspect them? I'm surmising that if something pops, those little center things will pop out and you can push them back in to re set. I've not used anything like this.....back in the batter switch area there is one for the winless and it does not appear to be popped out any further than the others so I'm pulling the windless switch to see where I lose power.  Are there any other fuses I can't see access to easily or is that it? Any common issues with Horizon brand?

Comments

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the breakers are the protection. I don't think there's a fuse in line as well for each accessory. There are two types of breakers. The smaller ones just have a pin in the center that pops out when tripped. A push in resets the breaker. There are larger breakers which have a red arm that swings out when tripped. To reset you need to swing the arm back in and push a button that pops out.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your windlass will have the circuit breaker as you noted, but typically a second one at the helm too.  As noted above, there is a red arm that swings out to show you it is tripped.  FYI: you usually have this disabled when not using the windlass and engage to use it, see picture.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, if that windlass hasn't been used in a while, see if there's an emergency wrench for the main drum. Try to loosen the clutch and turn it. Maybe read the manual first in case it's different than mine too. There might be a trouble shooting section.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    My windlass quit working last year. I found it had an inline fuse coming right off one of the batteries. The fuse was good. Just the conectors needed cleaning. Good luck.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ah crap ola! Inline fuse?? From the access I have it almost looked like there was an inline fuse along with a bunch of bunched up wiring...maybe the anchor like knocked into the wiring....until I can get at it, I 'm just not sure. I did check the switch at the helm and it does have power there, just could not figure out how to get that dang glass out without breaking it but after the bit of bad weather passes, will open it back up. Still finishing up the trailer wheels with new seals for the rear bearings all the way around, new brake pads, one new caliper so far and the lights now work. My list is getting a little shorter. Also, I did contact my local Kohler people and they were going to email me a PDF file for the service of the 5E- I'm sure if I get it others will want it also as I could not even find anywhere on line to order it...the few sites that said they had it was just the operator manual  which I already had....

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    black- do you have the service manual which is tp-6002?

edited March 2014
    I'm not sure what the TP-6002 is, I don't have a copy, please post if you get one.  There is a supplemental Kawasaki engine manual, but it has wrong information relative for being used on the marine genset (plugs wrong for sure).

More info: It actually isn't even a Kohler document, it is directly from Kawasaki.  If it is any help, the Kawasaki part# is 99924-2041-01.  Unless you are actually overhauling the engine, that manual is not of much use.  It can be a little confusing instead as it is their generic industrial engine manual and has parts and features that don't apply to the marine version. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Black- TP6002 in my operation guide says it's the service manual from Kohler on the motor.....I have the local distributor tracking it down but they are having issues as well...if I get it, you get it!
    google the model number, that should get you something....mine is a gas Kawaski 
    I looked over my 5e info, I have one big fold out document on the engine itself from kawasaki, most everything in it os superceeded by the Kohler documents. It shows the general engine and maintenance info but all incorrect for a marine gen set (wrong plugs, air filter, ignition switch, etc.).

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Hey rasbury their is a black lever under that red trip switch wher ur controller is for anchor which needs to be pushed up is it up?
    2002 Rinker FV 342
    my windlass had a wire off a terminal on the back of the switch....tracing the power...works like a champ!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @bella-vita ... Yes, that trip lever needs to be reset for the windlass to work. I use it as a fail safe so nobody drops my anchor.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    me too...and to protect me from myself.....