Options

how does this work? Battery switch

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
OK- kind of threw this out before but never got a clear understanding of the power management. I understand you have a starting battery and a house battery. I need to look and see what are hooked up to mine. I assume the bilge bumps are direct wire with their own fuses but hooked to the starting battery. So, assuming you can't charge with genny, You use battery one to start and battery two as house and your on the hook a couple days...your house battery ti to weak to start, you can start on battery one but you can't switch while running...from what I have read, you can't charge 2(while running engine) if your switch is on one...what ya do now? I do have a genny, will it charge both or which ever battery is on?

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your genny will charge all the batteries if you have the charger is on.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    There should be an isolator between the alternator on the engine and the two batteries. If you start with the starting battery, both batteries get charged while underway.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rayburn,

Setting on on just means that battery 1 and battery 2 are on two separate circuits. They both work, but one is a dedicated crank battery and the other is a dedicated house battery. When in this position the alternator, shore power or genset will charge both batteries, it has nothing to do with that we switches setting. As pointed out above the batteries are run off isolators to ensure they stay on separate circuits even when they are charging.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    got it, thanks