Options

Kohler 5E generator PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!

kypraioskypraios Member Posts: 7

Comments

• Options

I am new to this.

I have a 2002 Rinker 310 Fiesta Vee with a 5E Kohler generator with 110 hours on the clock, I have been having problems with it lately.

When I start it I have to manually pull the choke to start up the generator (it won’t start from inside the panel) then it runs fine for 4-6 minutes then suddenly it drops the rpm and the voltage nearly until it cuts off during this the throttle lever pulls down and then it revs up and pulls the throttle back up again this takes 4-8 second each way and continues to do this all the time. I have changed the following so far GM10516 Relay Control panel, fuel pump, Switch rocker, high temperature shutoff, Spark plugs Fuel Filter, Oil Filter impeller.

Also the other problem that I have is the impeller lasts from 30 minutes to a 10 hours what happens is that the metal ring spins inside the rubber impeller (it separates the rubber from the metal ring).

I live in Cyprus and there only few gasoline Kochler generators and I can’t find a mechanic to fix it even the local agent can’t help me.

Can any one help me?

George

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the impeller problem, assuming you have the correct impeller installed, I bet you have a water restriction causing it to run dry/hot.  A few suggestions:
    Check your raw water strainer that is is clean and not clogged
    Check your raw water inlet at the hull that is is free of obstructions
    Check the anode in the heat exchanger (they can break off if worn badly and plug the outlet
    Backflush the heat exchanger to get any pieces of impeller out (make certain you use the correct hose to run the water backwards or you'll fill the engine with water)

Surging: try running the gen straight from a gas can with new gas and gumout/seafoam and go strong with it, surging is usually due to to a lean mixture.  Also make sure your spark arrestor is clean!  All your linkages should be clean and not worn, some Kaw engines have reports of worn governor linkages (usually on mowers).  You also have an anti-dieseling valve on your carb and they are known to go bad/get plugged up too.  It is on the bowl facing you with a wire connected to it.  The choke on this engine is electric too and I've read of problems with the springs going bad if not the whole choke itself.

Slowly but surely I'm making an 'expert' of myself on the 5e .  One last comment: try running the genset with the sound enclosure service door off completely.
    :D

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thank you for your advice I am still investigating the source of the proplem. 
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geeze BD that last post should be in the knowledge base on the 5e as a quick cheat sheet. I can imagine that it was hard earned knowledge. I'm printing it out and sticking it in my 5e users manual on-board.
    Thanks, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    I have replaced the hose to the generator and it seems to work fine now, the other problem that I have is the choke,
    When I tried to start it up I have to move by hand the choke lever so it can start, does anyone know how to adjust the choke?
    Thanks ,George
  • Options

I am still having trouble with my generator Kohler 5E when I start it I have to manually pull the choke to start up the generator (it won’t start from the remote the panel) then it runs fine for 4-10 minutes then suddenly it drops the rpm and the voltage nearly until it cuts off during this the throttle lever pulls down and then it revs up and pulls the throttle back up again this takes 4-8 second each way and continues to do this all the time. I have changed the following so far GM10516 Relay Control panel, fuel pump, Switch rocker, high temperature shutoff, Spark plugs, thermostat oil Filter impeller new fuel hoses fuel tank fuel filter, removed and cleaned heat exchanger new impeller.

I replaced the fresh water in the system and I top it up to the maximum lever in the expansion tank, when its gets hot I notice that the fresh water it fills up the expansion tank and its overflowing.

I think there 3 problems: 

1 The fresh water doesn’t circulate in the system (faulty fresh water impeller part number 359956?).

Someone said that the impeller is metallic on the fresh water pump, do they go wrong?

I think the water it doesn’t circulate that’s why it gets hot and it tries to shut down.

2 The generator tries to shut down due to overheating but it doesn’t happen (new control board and high temperature shutoff).

3 When I try to start the generator the first time I have to manually pull the choke lever so it can start when it gets warm its ok.

A last question I notice on the impeller 359978 for sea water pump there’s a number 4 or 5 which one is the correct size for generator?

Awaiting your comments and suggestions

Kind regards

Georgios Metaxas

CYPRUS

• Options

Georgios:

1. You did put a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze in the cooling sytem and not just water, yes?

2. Replacing the thermostat almost certainly means you have trapped air in the system (a known problem with the 5e)...and it will overheat.  There is a bleed plug on top of the heat exchanger, but it still won't get all the air out.  I solved this by putting a1/8"NPT barbed hose connector, attached a hand type liquid pump so it pulled from the heat exchanger, leave the pressure ('radiator') cap on, fill the over flow bottle with antifreeze mix and start pumping (you want the suction side conneted to the barbed hose fitting).  As you pull a vacuum the air will pull out but be sure to NOT let the overflow bottle go empty as you do this. 

3. The rubber impeller kit is p/n 359978

4. the choke is electric, if it's bad you need to order the replacement kit for it.  You might try these guys: http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/page.html?chapter=0&id=25

5. I doubt the water pump for the closed cooling loop is bad unless it is leaking.  Refer to item #1 for your problem.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    To Black_ Diamond,

I did what you suggested with the air in the cooling system and you was 100% right, its working now.
    The other problem with the choke, how do I adjust it step by step and how do I know if it needs replacement.
    The other problem with the remote panel its the wire connector its gone rusty and it needs replacement
    I would like to thank you very much for all your help its been a nightmare.

Kind regards
    George.
  • Options
    George,

I do not think you can adjust the choke, it's either good or bad.  Did you replace the anti-diesel valve?  I'd start with that before the choke.  You have to buy the whole choke kit if it is bad though.  

For the bad wire, is it at the main breaker panel or the switch at the generator itself?

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    To Black_ Diamond,

Because I buy my parts from the states I think I would order both the choke kit and the anti-diesel valve and replace them.
    What exactly does the anti-diesel valve does?

Kind regards

George
  • Options
    The anti-diesel valve shuts the flow of gas off to the engine when you turn it off, so it does not run on. They can get gummed up or stop working. It screws into the carb fuel bowl and has (1) wire running to it, very easy to replace.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    federico_urufederico_uru Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2018
    Que tal amigo, les pido disculpas soy nuevo en esto y les quiero realizar una pregunta, tengo un generador koheler 5e y tengo el siguiente problema, reiteradamente ha quemado el fusible ubicado en VOLT REG, sustitui el fusible por uno de mayor amperaje en 3 oportunidades hasta que en un momento comenzo a salir humo de la ventilacion del rotor, se apago y ya no enciende. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    You'll get a better chance of a reply if posted in English.

Tendrás una mejor oportunidad de respuesta si se publica en inglés.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone may answer the basic question better, but NEVER replace a fuse with one rated higher. That's probably why it burned out your generator. It could have caused a fire or worse.

Alguien puede responder mejor la pregunta básica, pero NUNCA reemplace un fusible con uno más alto. Probablemente por eso quemó tu generador. Podría haber provocado un incendio o algo peor.