New Horn on my 2013 246BR, how to keep it working?

After having the 246 out on the water last year, the horn kept becoming quieter.  At the end of the season, you could only hear it buzz, so I had a new one put in under warranty.  However, my concern is that the location of the horn is in bow area so every time waves hit, water can get in. Any ideas on how to keep my horn dry, or do I not have to worry about it?  Has this happen to anybody else?

Comments

• TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Hi Mank,

The electric horn on my 342 was installed with a slight downward tilt toward the bow.  I think this is to allow any water splashed in to drain out.  But I think the tilt is only a delaying tactic for the problems caused by water intrusion.  I replaced the original failed horn about 4 years ago and have had no further problems. One horn in 8 years.  Not too bad.

But recently I really fixed the problem.  I installed a set of air horns on the arch.  They are LOUD but they make a pretty note and when I operate them, they are not ignored.  I had that happen once with the original when motoring out of our canal by a couple in a kayak which is what get me interested in air operated ones.  A precieved side benefit is that the air blast should drive out any water that has found its way in.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony,

Can you post a pic of your air horn mount?  I'm looking to do this and trying to figure out where and how to mount it on the 342 arch, not a lot of room with the TV, GPS, VHF and radar up there.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Sure will.  Right now we are in GA for a couple of weeks but when we get back to the boat I will get a pic.  I believe mine is between the VHF ant and the GPS.  I never say anything is for certain any more.

Tony
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks!  Attached is the horn I am looking at.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you ever find out if the "barrier" is installed keeping the water out of the horn? Also, do you boat in really rough water where you're burying the bow frequently? I just cant imagine THAT much water getting pounded into the horn unless its big stuff.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Condensation kills these horns too. To me, it's just another routine maintenance item each and every year. Take it apart, clean the points then put it back together for another year.

Mark
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

BD,  That looks like my horn set.  I will check.  This is the first time I saw the brochure.  Now I know it has a wide operating pressure range so I may experiment with that.  Also the amount of air it uses seems quite reasonable--1.5 CFM. Now I will have some more things to fool with when I get back to the boat.

It is fun to give them a blast, like the big ships, when approaching the blind bend in our canal.  lol

Tony
  • Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Spiders are the biggest killers of horns. They nest inside them and make them non-operational. I usually honk the horn at least once a week to keep them clear.
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Tony, It's time to ditch my stock FV270 kazoo that is mounted in the bow like Mank and JT.  I'd love a link to where you might have bought your new one. I was looking at mounting this one named after my mother in-law available at Amazon to put up on the arch but was worried it'd freak out the Admiral or get too much wind/rain from being trailered at 60mph for mile after mile.... Maybe I need to go bigger and as the Admiral often says, "just put a cork in it" when I'm on the road..... Mike
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Tiki, those look like what's on mine. I love the big horn sound. And yes I do end up routinely cleaning the points. I will say I use my horn each time out cause I go under a narrow bridge. (I have a foot or two on each side) and sometimes mot enough height (don't ask how I know). I was working the horn last weekend while still under the winter cover. All is ready !

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Mike

Marsh Harbor Marina installed mine.  (not the Marsh Harbor in the Bahamas) So they chose.  I will get a look when I get back and let you know.

Tony
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just give me a blast on the new air horn when you get back home :)
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • MankMank Member Posts: 22
    I appreciate all the comments on the horn.  We boat on Lake Erie, so yes there are always some waves, but mostly just 1 - 3 footers.  I will see how long this horn lasts, but would be very happy if it lasted 8 years.  I will try cleaning each year and honk the horn weekly to keep out the spiders.  It just seems that a horn should last longer than one season, especially since stored inside at the marina.
    However, since it looks like a blizzard out my window, I guess the horn is the least of my problems.  Hopefully spring weather will come soon, and maybe start boating in May if it ever stops snowing!
    My daughter in Lorain OH said 7 inches was predicted for this date.  She said that the way it was coming down, 7 inches was not out of the question.

Other than that comment, I will keep it to the horn subject.  lol

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I pulled my horn and tapped two tiny holes in the plenum; one in the plenums lowest point, and one behind it maybe an inch higher (orientation of horn is how it is mounted).. no more water holding in horn.. the purpose of two holes is one is lowest point while level (trailered), one is lowest point while on plane.. it ventilates from the same place it infiltrates, so there is no need for an additional vent..

There was no impact on the sound, and there have been no issues since.
    Thanks drewactual, I will try the two tiny theory and hopefully won't have any issues with the horn this year.  As for the snow, the ground is covered, but they say it will be around 63 to 66 degrees on Tuesday, strange weather, and a long winter this year, but I will gladly take the warm weather coming.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a good practice to sound the horn every time the boat leaves her slip.  It warns nearby traffic that you're getting underway, and it verifies that the horn is working. Also, it gives the horn regular exercise to keep the compressor in good shape. 

(Maybe not in early morning or late at night, of course.)

Thanks LaRea, I'll take the advice.