Options

Big Orange Filter

SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
I own a 320 and was wondering where anyone with the same boat installed the Big Orange Filter. I saw on the video-it was installed directly on the plastic holding tank. I do not know about screwing directly into the tank. Thank you for all your past insight.  

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't srew it to the tank!  I mounted mine under the port seating in the cockpit (342FV).  Just find a convenient place and make sure the line from the thru hull vent to the Big Orange makes a loop or at least rises 'up' before going to the filter or water will drip into it and wreck the charcoal.  I put one in several years ago and some of the best $ I spent, 100% solved my odor issues.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

Agree 1,000% with Black Diamond. I have the same boat and installed the Big Orange Filter just as he did and it solved all my issues.

Good Luck.

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I installed one, it is easy to install. Took like 20 minutes.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I screwed mine right to the tank. No problems at all.  Why wouldn't you?  It doesn't have enough mass to worry about vibratory stress cracking of the plastic.  It weighs close to nothing, and that tank is pretty darn thick.  No problems with it in my mind, but do whatever feels best to you.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Thank you everyone. I will have to see when the boat is uncovered. I know the video from Big Orange shows it screwed right to the top of the tank. I have a little problem with it as well. Anyone else have it installed on the tank--maybe for a few years? Any Issues?
  • Options
    If you are that worried, clean the tank with alcohol, and try some 3M double sided bonding tape.  This isn't a gas tank, it is just water and, well, you know.  The top plastic is nearly an inch thick. I installed mine in 2011 without a single issue yet.
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Gary thank you--I looked at it last night and spoke to another boater at my marina which also installed it in 2011 with no issues. I am going to install it on the tank and seal the screws well. I also saw last night my holding tank vent is not looped and is why water was getting into my old filter. I will have to loop the hose when I pull out the shower along the same cockpit wall to access it.  I am not Gumby anymore to bend over the holding tank. Thank you for the help.
  • Options
    That's where they put your holding tank?  Wow!  Everything is in my engine compartment on my 290...thank goodness.  I bend terribly nowadays.  :-) 
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    If you put a loop in a vent line that traps water it'll become just that.... a vent trap, just like in a household sink to prevent sewer gases from moving beyond the water trap. It may burp/jostle through your water trap on a boat but it probably won't be working as well as it should. Water certainly wont harm the carbon pellets normally used in these filters. As a matter of fact the same carbon pellets are more often used for aquarium filters that run water through them constantly.

There are design variations in some vent filters to divert water away from the filter itself(see pic on rt which isn't mine) but it's a non event if you think about it and I don't want to handle that residue.

Here's a pic of my $10 easy to make carbon filter for your typical black water tank from instructions easily found on the net (note aquarium filter carbon pellets). I tied mine up with a slant so rain water can simple run through it. Works like frikkin de-stinkin magic and now I can honestly say my "stuff" doesn't stink. :D

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should clarify the 'loop' I added: it loops upwards so not to trap water. Good point though!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI