Options

On-board tool box

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm looking to replace the original tool set I bought to keep/work on the boat.  It was a Craftsman set and had a lot of pieces, but missing various sockets through the range (inch and metric) making it a pain because guess what ones were not included when you need them? So, anyone bought a tool set that covers all the metric/inch sockets with wrenches etc. that is stowable on board, being reasonable of course with the size of the set. :)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    My story.

Purchased a red plastic Craftsman tool box for $10.00.  One of the best buys I found in boating.  Then Sears had a sale on socket and wrench sets.  $100,.00 for maybe 200 items.  All loose.  I put each type of tool in their own plastic bag.  1/4 sockets,  short and long, 1/2 sockets, short and long etc. in seperate bags.  Works fine and keeps them organized.  They were only used once under mental pressure.  But the plastic bags were perfect for keeping things organized, and front and center.

The plastic bags are freezer bags, zip lock etc.

Tony
    Salt Shaker 342         
  • Options
    Nice idea. Thx.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    I'm a fan of aircraft-style toolboxes that have a pre-formed plastic slot for each tool.  The final step of any repair job is to verify that every slot in the toolbox has a tool in it -- so no tools left in the engine room. 

I bought one from West Marine 15 years ago, but the tools are cheap quality, and it's only basic tools.  I'd like to find a better one someday. 

A friend of mine crashed his airplane because a mechanic left a tool in a bad place.  He survived, but the accident taught me a lesson. 
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/crescentreg;-70-piece-mechanics-hand-tool-set-402030399--1

I picked one of these up- err, uh, one similar, anyway.. I didn't have need for both a 1/2" and a 3/8" drive set, as this 'was' to be used as an emergency set only... turns out I use it all the time, and it lives in my truck... It suffices for most small jobs, and is a lot easier than lugging out the big tool box when I simply don't need all those tools.  The thing has formed slots, as LaRea spoke of, and it easy to safely stow just about anywhere...

in addition to that, I keep yet another tool kit handy, but with specialty tools that are needed here and there.. You can get them at any Army/Navy store.. It is a simple mechanics tool bag, which doesn't take up much room, either.

• Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    $30 with coupon from our friends at harbor Freight
    Pittsburgh 68998 130 Piece Tool Kit with Case
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    I like the bigger one. I'll check it out.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I keep a smaller, more frequently used tool box on board as well, under the rear bench.  Things like leatherman tool, combo screw driver, adjustable wrench, zip ties, mounting stickies, things like that.  I will be adding this bigger kit into the engine compartment storage this year I think as well.  Seems like I never have the right allen head socket, or key, or whatever.  I wouldn't go into business with a kit of this quality, but I sure wouldn't shake my nose at it when I NEED it either.  I am sure it will go on sale at some point as well.  
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

I'm with LaRea.  Got to have one that holds each socket individually.  I bought one at Sam's Club for $30ish a couple years ago.  I really use my tools, so I am very picky!  I had to make sure it had the corect amount of deep sockets and the right size drives (need 3/8 and 1/2, so they will connect to my torque wrench) and wrenches.  It also has a nice grip screwdriver that works with many bits (allen, screw, and all the sockets).  The pliers and hand tools I added in a bag, since those items aren't so hard to identify.  I've also added a little chapman set for those tight areas that can require some torque.  I've also got a selection of electrical lugs/terminals, heat shrink, wire ties.  I always keep it on the boat so I have it (even in the winter, when I enjoy working on it).

I guess after reading Drew's post, we are quite similar when it comes to what we use day in/day out! :)>-

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express