Options

How Much Rope can My Boat Hold for My Anchor???

Hello,

I just Purchased a 1999 Fiesta Vee 330 and it did not have any rope for the Anchor. It has a Lewmar Horizon 500 Windlass and I'm trying to find out What Size Chain and Rope to get BUT most importantly...How Much Rope can my Boat hold in the locker???

The Lewmar site shows the Windlass accepting 1/2" Rope and 1/4" Chain...but is that enough for My Boat???

Thanx   :-)

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was an earlier thread on here about this same subject.  The windlass should tell you the chain type to get, just the size (1/4") is not always enough.  You should also consider the water depth you would be trying to anchor in, add the proper scopes for the weather AND add a distance from the bow to the water when looking at the total you want.  Chain is what keeps the anchor dug in, I'd be looking at a minimum of 15' of chain, upto ~25'.  Then ~100' of line at least.  Just my .02:)

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    PaulFMcGPaulFMcG Member Posts: 3

Thanx for the Feedback...

I guess  my last concern would be if 1/2" Rope is sufficient for the Size and Weight of the Boat?

I will only be Anchoring to Fish or Relax on the water...and as mentioned, the Windlass says it recommends 1/2" Rope for the size unit I have.

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it says 1/2" line, use it.  Too small or too large and the windlass won't handle it.  I believe my 342 has 1/2" line.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    PaulFMcGPaulFMcG Member Posts: 3

Awesome!

Thanx Again for the Info   :-)