Options

Lights!

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have several lights on my 270 newly purchased that are out.  I have a dash with a lot of switches that the description has "worn" off what they do so between the lights that are out and switches I am not sure what they do, I'm at a bit of a loss....can someone else with a 270 go down the row of switches? I'm a bit puzzled that there are two or more switches for lights.....what is each one supposed to do? I know some of the front lights are out and I am not sure how to pop off the covers on the ones at the bow......do they snap off? I'm afraid to brake them.  I know you have certain lights on while under power and other lighting that has to be on at anchor and I'm sure the light switches take care of that but if someone can confirm what each switch does what and what lights are supposed to be on I can figure out what lights are ok and which need to be replaced/serviced

Comments

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    I bet Tiki or Boomer can help you with the switch ID's.

On a different note, one of the items I purchased, maybe at West Marine?, was a light on a cord to hang from the VHF antenna in case our anchor light fails while we are on the hook..  It puts out the legally required amount of light.  It plugs into a cigarette lighter outlet. 

Tony 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any lights you may be replacing - go led and save a lot of power draw. MT
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I had the same problem with whats/what on my dash rocker switches that faded out. I just took a label maker and added a tag for each one that my squinty eyes can see w/o those infernal readers. I'll get a picture in a day/so to help you get it figured out but starting on the left the dash rocker switches begin with the "dash lights on/off" then I think the next one (which baffled me for months) is a dimmer that controls the intensity of the dash gauge lights. Hold it up or down at night and it'll be a big help with dimming the stadium lighting effect from everything being full on.

MT is right. Get rid of those old school amp hog dome light bulbs and swap in some LEDs

The red/green bow lights might be due for replacement rather than just bulbs. It's a demanding but important spot up on the nose of the boat and they're nearly 10y/o. Mine are new fixtures in the last 2yrs.

Hey Tony I recently found some festoon LED cluster bulbs on Ebay from China that are a direct replacement for the anchor/running light bulb. Nearly exact intensity (if not brighter) and a fraction of the amp load. I just can't see your top gal being very happy out there tying a lantern on your antenna in the dark. Hope all is well with your team. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

yes, tiki made a good point that should also go for your anchoring thread.  LED light for anchor.  I have one on mine and I know the draw is minimal (cause at times I forget it is still on for the next entire day).

Lots of great questions arising from Ras...always nice to have a newbee in the spring getting us going again on this stuff.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks all......am I stuck with West Marine on these LED's? Thanks for the help on the rocker switches Tiki, if I know what they are supposed to work, I can figure out what lights are out! The anchor light I assume is on my arch? Is that the only time it is on or is it a multiple fixture which does different functions depending on what switch is on? See my confusion:???? I would like to make sure I have all my lights working before this weekend if possible...I don't plan on running at even dusk but you never know what can happen.....I assume when docked there are no lights required. My wife and I will take a Coast Guard thing as soon as we can line it up...
  • Options
    and the running lights on the front, do those covers pop off or is there a screw there somewhere I am not seeing? I am afraid of braking the darn things.....and I really need help with those dash switches and exactly what lights they control...I mess around with it a little last night and could not get any running lights to come on but then I'm not running the motor so I don't know if that might be part of the problem!
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    Rasp, if this looks like your dash, these should be your switches.  i am not sure what year your 270 is, but take a peek at these.

Hope it helps.

Nav / Anc controls your front nav/rear of arch light in Nav position, or Anc-all around arch light.  
    Transom Light controls the rear white navigation transom light.  Not sure why they didn't put this on the nav switch, but you have to turn on both.

Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
    my 270 is totally different and all the descriptions are faded off....thanks for the try!
  • Options
    gslprogslpro Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    What year is yours?
    Gary and Diane
    290 FV Nauti Bonnie
  • Options
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Like I mentioned, those LEDs are on Ebay. It's the large internet buying service/store on the web.......

I didn't get your dash gauge picture last night but there must be some other way/resource to get the layout of the dash switches and what they are for your 270. Garys images above should give you something to look for in a faint word/icon. Tonight try turning the key to the on position and start from the left side and try each one. maybe check all the breakers 1st. Then get a pad and a label maker like I did. The only one that really threw me was the dimmer rocker but even that one submitted to my vast intellect....... after 6mths.... :D  Maybe it's imply dimmed all the way down to nil.... like my IQ after a few good cocktails....

You only need to display an anchor light at the highest point (radar arch?) when anchored out. No nav lights needed when at a dock. The bow lights will submit to your will if you stick to it. I have no idea besides the fact that it's probably glued and screwed. Mine were shot when I bought the boat. You're not navigating the St Johns river at night just yet so don't worry about it so much.

Relax and focus on everyone enjoying their first few times on the new boat so that they want to do it more. A wise old sailor once told me that his main goal for a new crew was for them to have at least 12 goods days on-board (no freaky wind/weather/navigating) before they experienced a bad day(which will happen). It'll win them to the boating lifestyle and they'll have time to understand how reliable the boat really is. Good luck and take your time, being a good calm captain. The USCG course is a good idea. Your local power squadron is an even more through boating option to gain a broader knowledge and find like minded friends.

Mike
    Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    your right Tiki- I have often get way to buried in the details and I know my first mate just wants to get out on the water- I just want the first trips to be positive until that bad day comes along as you mention. If I have a bad start, well, it just won't go well from there on...got to get those good days under the belt! We are going out this weekend if I don't get another thing done. Hey, at least I have brake lights and brakes now!