Options

Canvas Replacement Ideas for FV 270?

HedgeHedge Member Posts: 24 ✭✭
Hi ... we are replacing the stock camper canvas on our FV 270 and looking for ideas on how to improve the replacement from the original design such as additional screens etc ....any suggestions would be appreciated . Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Hedge, I have added side screens and a front screen in the cockpits of my last two boats - does it ever get rid of heat and humidity! Makes sitting in the cockpit at night without flying pests ( doesn't help control a couple of annoying relatives though) real nice! MT 
  • Options
    rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I added some Velcro straps to our canvas so that we can roll them up without taking them all the way off.

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on your budget and look you like, consider using Stamoid material in place of the 'canvas' and take a look at Strataglas for the clear panels, you can get it so it will roll up and even tinted.  I did the Stamoid and the tinted Strataglas and love it.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD, do you have any pics handy? MT
  • Options
    Thanks Guys ... very helpful, definitely going to add the additional side and front screens and the Velcro straps. I am sure any pictures you might have would be of great help to my canvas guy. Will also check out the Stamoid and Strataglas. I forgot to mention that this is a complete remake including the frame  as we had winter damage as the structure storing our boat collapsed. 
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    We have zippered screens in the rear 3 panels and they're a must. I also really like the idea of straps to roll up the entire side panel on a hot day with easy access if a downpour pops up. That solves a stowage issue for my panels too. Just when I thought I had it all figured out, these guys come up with yet another great idea.

The total lack of shade at the helm baffled me so I added a bimini extension/visor over the helm to shade the captain and keep rain/sun off the gauges. It's about a 3' extension that simply zips into the leading edge of the existing bimini above the windshield panel. It's framed with a SS rod and quick release pins at the top of the windshield frame, then strap/clips at the fwd side rails. It's worth it's weight in gold on a broiling day or when we're at anchor in a drizzle. I designed it to be removable but its been so practical that we always leave it up.

I just pull the pins and roll it right into the main bimini sleeve when we trailer/stow the boat. Getting up on deck is no problem either. It happens to be just the perfect length fwd to allow easy access while providing max shade and coverage.

Here's a pic or two. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Now that is one great idea Mike! Looks good too.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options

Thanks TikiHut2  .....but what's even more interesting to me, is the middle picture! ...is that  to protect your gel coat from the sun? I also have a blue hull and because of the location of our slip, our boat gets sun all day on the port side, hence I get fading every season. So now I need more info, did you buy it or have it made ....and does it work well?

Thanks Hedge

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Our boat has lived its entire life down in the broiling tropical heat of SW Fl. Apparently the previous snowbird owner of our 270 got tired of the annual fading and gelcoat damage from our 4-5 month long summer season baking in a marina yard rack. He had these two full length sunbrella skirts made to shade the hull. I haven't ever seen another boat with them and it was a nice bonus when we bought her. Even though my boat is now stored 3/4 inside my shop, I still hang the skirts and they are really helpful in preserving the finish.

They look like the material was a roll of factory defect material with a couple of full length color imperfections that don't effect their performance but wouldn't have been acceptable for a regular bimini. It probably shaved some cost of a use like this. They simply hang by nylon straps at the bow and about every 5' at the bow rail fittings and stern cleats.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum, Mike

a couple more pics of the skirts on survey day a few years ago.....and one of my helm bimini extension

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

Tiki, she looks like a real lady with that classy skirt on! :)>-  (definitely a great way to protect from sun)

I'd add, the half circle in the back, flip it over so the plastic does not roll down and get in the way.  As far as screen in the front, make the screen an add-on that zips in when the front center eisenglass zips out. (then the screen won't inhibit vision).  I'm just thinking of some of the changes I had done on my 310 when I redid the canvas...I changed the direction of the way some of the zippers went, making it easier to get in when it's raining.  Also, I had small pieces added that stayed on the arch tracks with a zipper, so you didn't have to put it into the track each time you put the side eisenglass on. (hope that makes sense)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    jmoen438jmoen438 Member Posts: 98 ✭✭✭
    Hedge, we definitely like the three screens on the back. There is a canvas thread on here run by TJ. I bought new canvas from him last year and the price was by far the best I found. Tiki, it takes a real man to admit to wearing a skirt :))
  • Options
    Hey Mike, That snowbird was smart. Was he a Canadian? Ha Ha - I had one of my Rinkers on a boat lift that was oriented north/south. The boat was shaded to the west by a big willow tree but the boat was getting baked from the east by the sun -. from sunrise to 11:30 in the morning. I picked-up a roll of "seconds" top gun canvass for a really good price and the admiral sewed on straps like yours. Problem solved! I also had made 3 black sunbrella canvas, rectangular (3' X 2' X 2" thick high density foam) custom fenders  that I use for rafting pads or docks that are odd configurations for fenders. I'll post a pic. MT
  • Options
    You gotta respect that summer sun, especially down here. I call it the broiling season 'cause it feels like I'm standing under a searing broiler about 2pm on just about any summer day. Gelcoat is tough stuff but these panels are a huge help. The idea to use 2nds is a real money saver and I have to hand it to him. I'll look fwd to seeing those raft up pads.

Jmoen. Yeah, yeah, all my girls wear skirts......even my she-devil of a boat. I'm trying to keep her complexion blemish free like those snowbirds I envy with their lily white skin when they come down here and quickly turn lobstah red.  I'm envious because my skin looks like a mummy after a lifetime in the tropics. :D
  • Options
    Lol Mike, you and the Admiral going to make it north this year?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'm boating for a week in June down the Fl beaches and then across inland Fl to lake Okeechobee to bag a gator, then off to DC/Alexandria to wrestle with those Northern beltway reptiles for a week in July. The heat in August usually drives me completely crazy so since you've replaced your canvas (see how I drifted back on topic :D ) I just might catch a spontaneous cheap flt to the NE but only if the water is cool and the skies aren't filled with storms like they'll be down here. I seem to remember it being something like this......Awesome New England boating, sharp looking FV270 and great crew. MnK

• Options
    The light is always on and the beer is cold!
  • Options
    PairADicePairADice Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    I treated Pair-A-Dice to a new canvas upgrade... MUCH better for biggie nights... all screens, with the zip up plastic "windows" and all have snaps which can just roll up instead of zip off, although we do un zip when we go out for the day. I also had the forward "windows" screened with the plastic zip up too, but haven't picked them up from the canvas shop yet... the transom door has a snap in canvas piece on the inside so that water doesn't come in when its raining. It doesn't have any plastic, so its either screen or canvas.
  • Options
    Wow, nice 270. Canvas looks awesome. I'm sure it transforms the cockpit on marginal days. Really like the dark green too.
  • Options
    PairADicePairADice Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    Thank you! I am very proud.. It feels like a completely different boat!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Very nice!  Canvas & Carpet are the two things that can make a boat feel like new again!  Especially when you customize it to fit your needs.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express