Options

No Hot Water

HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

Went down to the boat for the first time this weekend. Had no water at the slip so took the boat over to the gas pier which had water. Filled up the water tank and flushed all the lines just like every year. Came back to the slip and turned the hot water heater on for about 4 hours.......no hot water. Ran the engine for about 20 minutes and still no hot water. Not even luke warm. It's almost like there is no water in the tank. Any ideas?

Hamdog

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Did you add a bypass for the winter? Do not run the heater until you find out your not getting water from it. If its empty and you "turn it on" you will burn out the heater element. Good luck and keep us posted....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Did not add a bypass. I hope the 4 hours it was on did not burn out the element. It seems strange that even with running the engine.....I got nothing.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume you are getting flow through the hot water system? If you turn on just the hot water valve it comes out of the tap right?

It's strange that it didn't even heat with the engine on. That doesn't rely on the heater element at all.

Can you get in the engine compartment to follow some lines and figure out what is going on?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Yep. Water flows when only the hot water knob is turned on. I looked at it. I did press the pressure release valve and got air but no water.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aghhhhh. Okay I got it. Your tank is filled with air, so the element is not seeing water, only air. Also no water is getting to the engine only air. You need to keep that relief valve opened until you see water coming out. Basically you have air lock right now. Try and see if that works, I think that's what the problem is. But be careful, I don't want you hurting yourself or damaging anything.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you had air in the tank and the element was on, it's toasted.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Bd is probably correct but you might have gotten lucky. Fingers crossed.  I'm guessing the marina drained your hot water tank at winterization and didn't put a warning tag on your steering wheel at the helm to remind you! :-( MT
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Will try the pressure valve next weekend and let you all know.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

When they drained the tank they could've also left the drain open.  Make sure it is closed as well.  The heating elements are pretty simple to change out as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I just run my hot water taps until all the pink is gone. Then I turn on the water heater. I sure hope your hot water tank didn't get fried... let us know.
  • Options
    jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Are you running in salt water? Is your boat raw water cooled? My hot water stopped working last season when the intake hose from the block was "gunked up" with salt buildup and corrosion. The goal was to flush the system with fresh water, however when we were disconnecting the intake (engine hot water) hose the hot water tank intake cracked. Ultimately we needed a new hot water heater. I purchased the west marine brand which works/fits but only a few screw holes lined up.
  • Options
    Fresh water and raw water cooled. I called the Pro's in. They are looking at it before the weekend =D> . I will post what they find out.
  • Options
    You can buy parts for it at RV shops. Same exact model they use. Less cost. :)

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    The service guys removed the water heater and found corrosion around the heating element. They replaced the heating element but could not test it due to no water yet to our slip. They are bringing 10 gallons of water with them tomorrow to test it. I told them to remove the hose for the heat exchanger and make sure I am getting flow. I also told them to research if my water heater requires an anode. If it does, it has not been replaced in at least 4 years. Anybody know about the anode?
  • Options

Well the Service guy showed up this morning and the lake had risen so fast last night that the walkway out to our slip was underwater. However, they did get the water to the slips turned on. They are supposed to look at it again in the morning.

Anybody familiar with an anode on the water heater?

• Options
    Try looking at the opposite end of the water heater from all the piping.  If it has an anode, it would be back there and probably under a cap.  No guarantees!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Update - Replaced the heating element and all is good. Probably did not let the starboard engine run long enough to heat the water. The heat exchanger was fine.
  • Options
    Love simple solutions!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where to buy the heating element and can it be replaced by me or

do I have to pay someone to do it????

Len

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• Options

it is really easy to do, it just screws in (pull the power first!)  use some teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads.  It is worth replacing the pressure relief valve too while you are at it.

You can get parts on-line or take your model number and go to an RV store, same exact part and less $$.

PC BYC, Holland, MI