Options

Unsealed drain holes in swim platform

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
Here's something to check on your older Rinker: see if the swim platform has drain holes that were not sealed.  

When Rinker built my 342 in 2003, they drilled three drain holes in the swim platform.  They did not seal these holes at all, or put in any sort of fitting.  They just drilled 3/4" holes right through the fiberglass deck.  Over time, the core has apparently rotted out from moisture intrusion.  Now, after 11 seasons, there is a noticeable amount of flex when I step on the swim platform.  There's enough flex that I'm getting some cracks/crazing in the gelcoat.  I had a surveyor do a tap-test, and he says the entire swim platform is saturated with water.

Does anybody else have this problem?  I know some swim platforms do not have drain holes.  

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez LaRea - that is not nice. Thanks for the heads-up. MT
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to add drain holes on my 2003 342 too, but the guy sealed them...or I hope to heck he did it well.  Mine are just .25" or so holes.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Great question. Also, I wonder if sealing the drain holes after 11 years would just trap the water that has already seeped in.  

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would let the holes dry-out before sealing them. Back in the day when we used to cut a lot of holes in transoms ( 3" 4" etc) for through hull exhausts we took sikaflex or you could use 3M 4200 - put it on a paintbrush that would fit the hole and smear it right into the composite. None of the boats we did the through hulls on (even 20 years ago) have delamination. We have changed through hulls on some of them and they were pristine. We considered all types of sealers but an engine builder from Hawk Marine in Ft. Lauderdale said to use the sikaflex and he was right. Just use a small paint brush from an auto or craft store and work it into the composite then wipe off the excess. MT