Battery Maintenance Question?

rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
All,

just wanted to check in with others on this.  last year my starboard starting battery started giving me problems.  It was late enough in the year that I didn't mess with it, just had to jump a time or two.  Took it out to replace it yesterday and noticed that I was probably lucky that it did not explode, the sides were all bulged out, and when popping the caps you could see that everything inside was all tore up.  It was also dry as a bone.  So I just have a couple questions on the subject of battery maintenance.

1.  In all my years, I have never really had to add water/acid to a battery in any of my vehicles.  why is it that I have to add a fair amount of water to all 4 of my boat batteries every year?  is it because they are on the charger all the time?
2.  Since I just put in 2 new house batteries last year, I want to make sure I take care of them, so I actually picked up a jug of battery acid to top them off with.  I know some say to use distilled water, but I figured the real stuff would be better.  Any advantages one way or the other?
3.  For my starting battery that went bad.  I just replaced it with an automotive maintenance free battery, so I shouldn't have to ever add any acid to that one.  Anyone see any issue with this, since it is just a starting battery?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

1.  Yes, being on a charger all the time is a big difference between a battery in a car.  Ideally, your charger should 'know' when to be pushing in power.

2.  personally, I would stay with distilled water, if for no other reason then just dealing with water is pretty easy when you spill, and you will.  lol

3.  Batteries on a boat just don't last as long, I replace mine every (3) years.  Your starting battery still runs other equipment on the boat, GPS, CO alarm, Mercathode, possibly other stuff too.  Waiting too long and having one explode is not worth it, one of my dockmates had (2) explode..like a disaster...

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,655 mod
    well, not a lot I can add than what's been said. But, I agree to only add distilled water. That's all I've ever done and have always gotten 5 years out of my batteries.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

1. Yep. Charging all the time will cause acid depletion in non-sealed batteries.

2. Do not use Sulfuric Acid. It's the water that burns off....not the acid. It's still there just more concentrated when it needs water. Adding water back up to the fill level just dilutes the acid back to where it should be.

3. All my batteries are maintenance free. This will be my 5th season and they are still going strong.....knock on wood.

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
  • majomamajoma Member Posts: 19
    If you use the boat weekly, do you still have to keep the shore power on for the charger? I understand that you don't connect the boat to shore power you avoid corrosion on the outdrive.
  • rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Great information. Thank you all for your comments. Good to know that it is normal for the evaporation and that I should use water to replace it. I leave my boat plugged in all the time. I feel it is better for the batteries I personally have had good luck so far. 5 years on last set of house batteries.

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

@majoma , I am with rinker312, I've always left mine plugged in (even the last few years thru the winter as well) with great success.  I do check the water levels at least every fall, and it typically takes just a small amount of distilled water to fill it back up.  I also use a water dropper made to fill the batteries without a mess.  I think overfilling &/or letting it flow out can only cause more issues.

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I leave my boat charger plugged into shore power but use a timer on my shore power cord to allow the charger to run for about 8hrs each day rather than 24/7. Potatos vs potatoes cried Dan Quayle.

What ever works for you so that that sea sled fires right up when I'm finally free to hit the water.

+1 on the distilled water.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • majomamajoma Member Posts: 19
    I like the idea of the timer on the power cord to limit the time the boat is connected to shore. The problem is I don't know of any timer that would connect to a 30 Ams  marine power cord.
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    smart chargers don't have these problems... they burst and trickle, or just stop- depending on the condition of the battery.. problem is, a lot of chargers are advertised as smart, but really are just multifunction chargers instead.

re: timer: the trick is to find a timer that controls a relay.. they are out and about.. one is made by ferris power ltd, and works great for this type application.. I use one at work in a system designed for automatic transfer from generated power to shore power, or back- the battery bank carries the load momentarily or by selection (remote toggle), and the toggle control only commands the relay- not the freakin' ridiculously hot power it controls... You could build such a system, but a truly smart charger doesn't have these issues.

It's never crossed my mind to use a serviceable battery on board.. sealed seems.......safer..... and just as good.

edited to add: it's not ferris power ltd, it's furrUs power ltd.. now stadium power..
    I would not use a timer just for the fact that each time you turn the charger off, it will come back on at full charge to sample the stage of the battery.  Then work it's way back to the trickle charge.  With the appropriate charger, a timer is of no need and will actually make matters worse.  Hey, just my 2 cents.  (wow, I'm in agreement with Drew once again)

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    I would not use a timer just for the fact that each time you turn the charger off, it will come back on at full charge to sample the stage of the battery.  Then work it's way back to the trickle charge.  With the appropriate charger, a timer is of no need and will actually make matters worse.  Hey, just my 2 cents.  (wow, I'm in agreement with Drew once again)
    C'mon in fellers, the waters fine!!

heheheheeheheheheheheeeeeheheeee !!!!!!  :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Gl9L36Vhs
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    ...So brother you say it hits with a full charge....like this one from Big John.... :D  With that in mind I have seen the light and will defer from my evil ways. Good input.

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭✭
    REVIVE AN OLD THREAD HERE…

How often does everybody need to top up their lead acid batteries.
    Replaced my house batt that was only 2 years old & I was shocked at how low the cell levels were. Keeping it for a spare - trying to revive it in the garage.

Rarely plugged in to shore power. Got our boat stacked in a barn.

So how often to top up? Once a season or more?

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    I check mine at the end of the season and top them off if needed. Usually a little bit of distilled water will go in each cell, not much at all.
    2008 330EC
  • Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought new batteries a few months back and they told me two check them every 6 months. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where does the acid go? Evaporation?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The acid stays, the water evaporates.
    2008 330EC
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wow, every now and then I see a post from Tiki Hut....wonder what happened to him? He was my Rinker mentor....
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alswagg. Are you having any issues getting anything???
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was impossible to find control cables mid season!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay