Options

Inverters

terrypageterrypage Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
Hi, I am considering fitting an inverter to my 270. I like to enjoy a cup of coffee when I'm on the move, I don't like the idea of lighting the cooker re dangerous possible events. I just wonder if anyone has advice (does it work) I'm wondering if I use the 12volt fitting is it safe on the move? Any comments guys. Terry

Comments

• Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Terry you might look in the archives under "Inverters" and read what MT ask, and the replies.
     Here is what we did on our 250FV
     We added a third battery and a 1000w inverter to our boat and love it.
    Of course we have no generator so having any 110 ac power when we are away from the marina is great for us. We run the inverter off of 2 of the batteries. It will run our small TV and DVD player for over 3 hrs, or our A/C for a little over and hour, or the micro-wave for long enough. After the batteries get low, we start the boat off of the other battery, run the boat for a while or plug into shore power to charge the pair. I mounted the inverter in the engine bay on what I would call the bulkhead in front on the motor and hard wired it the batteries. Here's where it gets kind of strange, I removed the off/on switch from the inverter and mounted it in the battery selector switch box on the port side of the boat. That way you do not have to open the engine hatch to turn on the inverter. I also ran the 110v ac  electrical cord from the inverter up through one of the rear port side cup holders so I can plug it in (with an adapter) where the shore power normally plugs in. 
      Good luck with yours.
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Hi Bruce, thanks for the advice. I have done some research and will go for a larger inverter as most kettles would require 1800 w to boil water as you probably know. My last boat had a much smaller set which only ran the TV and needed air or it turned itself off. ( it was in a locker) Today I bought a12 volt kettle but it took 20 minutes to gate hot. What a laugh. Anyway nice to talk, cheers.
  • Options
    jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Bruce I apologize for my naïveté but I know very little about electrical (especially boat). I have a 2006 express cruiser 250 with no generator. If my goal is the ability to run my a/c occasionally and possibly the tv and microwave without being on shore power, what do I need? From your description above it sounds like an inverter and maybe additional battery. What kind of inverter? How is it wired to power the above items? Is it powered into the boat or do I have to plug individually into the inverter.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    @jklein: There is no feasable way to run the A/C off an inverter, you'd sink the boat with the batteries you'd need :))  OK maybe not that bad, but not doable.  To run the TV and the microwave you'll need to know the watts they require, then an inverter bigger than that to handle the load.....then do you have enough deep cycle batteries to handle the draw you want.  You could turn this into a nice wiring project :)
    Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    jkleinjklein Member Posts: 49 ✭✭
    BD - thank you very much for the info. Good to know. My wife will tell me, read a book, you don't need tv that bad to spend more time/$$ on the boat. Thanks again.
  • Options
    We have run our a/c off of the inverter many times while trolling (with the engine running at low rpm's) it will run for approximately an hour before the batteries get low enough to shut down the inverter.  
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fair point bruce if you keep the engine running you had a power source to replenish.  Still must be a big inverter?  Big amp draw at start.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Terry and Jklein, I'll take some pictures on my setup this weekend get them posted, maybe that will help.
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Cheers any help will be great. T
  • Options
    Terry, here are some pics of our set up. The little red switch on the far right of the battery selection box is from the inverter. I ran the ac power cord up through one of the rear cup holders so I didn't have to drill a hole through the fiber glass.  Hope this helps you.
      Bruce
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm toying with the idea of putting in an inverter.

I don't have a generator on board, but the shore power switch in the cabin gives me the option to switch 110V to the generator. So looks like the wiring was already installed.

This is my question - shouldn't the inverter be placed on the generator circuit, to make sure it is isolated from shore power?  Shouldn't the inverter use the genset on/off switch in the cabin to keep everything safe?

I don't want to add anymore batteries, if we install an inverter and want to use, I'd only do it with the engines running. Almost every marina here on Lake O has shore power, so we'd only need it on the water to make coffee, or maybe run the microwave for a few minutes.  I assume that is okay.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Mark, I have an adapter cord so our inverter plugs in where the shore power cable goes, when we leave the dock, we unplug the shore power, reach in the cup holder, pull up the inverter cord and plug it in. When we need power underway, we simply flip the switch in the battery selector box. 
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Ah, okay I get it. Chord through the drink holder. Smart.

But, if I did it couldn't I just wire it into the genset circuit, so no chords to plug in, just the flick of a switch?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Yes, if the wiring is there that would be the way to go
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Hi Bruce, thank you that is very helpful. I notice you have a third battery. Is that something you have added or did it come with the boat. Also I don't have a Generator. The Inverter I'm considering I hope to fit in the Saloon to give me the availability to use TV and any other equipment. This to avoid to complex wiring. Having said that your way is probably the correct way of doing things and I would rather have it done properly. Where do you have the three pin plug for the appliances on your boat? I know you have different plugs but you know what I mean. I will try to post pictures of my engine bay. Thanks for your interest. Terry
  • Options
    Terry I'm not really sure what you are asking here?
    But wow, that is a clean and roomy bilge, you must have quite a bit more room in a 270 versus my 250

2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Hello Bruce, originally I was going to buy an inverter place it close to the internal electrical panel plug the machine into thr 12 volt socket for the kettle. Since then the whole thing has become more serious as it should. Now I just want to get it right. The inverter has to be compatable to run the kettle (cost has now escalated) How much just for a cup of coffee on the run. I had better buy a flask! But I would like to get it right. As far a the bilge is concerned I was very lucky when I bought her but it's easy to keep clean if you are retired. I can't keep away from the boat. I looked at Google Earth to find your local, can you post a photo? If you have time, it's interesting seeing other venues. Best Regards Terry
  • Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Hi, Here what I did since I did not have a generator, a bit more expensive than a good quality inverter but very easy to use. It get the a/c working, the electric stove,and everything that needs 120 volts. Maybe not all once.
  • Options
    Terry, we are on Hillsdale Lake in Kansas, if you google earth Hillsdale Kansas you will see the lake near by. Here is a picture from 2 weeks ago when we launch her for the season.  What year is year is you boat?
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Frenchship is that in the transom locker?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Yes and I made an exhaust extension so when I run the generator I just flip the cover up and install the extension I also made a extension cord from the gen normal three prongs to the shorepower outlet 30amps Paul
  • Options
    Hi Bruce, I will give Goole a try. My 270 is 2006 has now registered 310 hours has had 2 owners before me, the last guy only had it a year and was 84 when he sold her having only done 20 hrs. My previous boat was a Sealine S38 twin Volvo Kad 300 diesels, but after having double Hip replacements I was forced to sell. 3 years later and fully recovered I couldn't stand being without a boat. After extensive research I settled on Rinker. I must admit I never thought I would go for a petrol because of the running costs. But I have been surprised how much I love the power (and the sexy noise of the full chat) sorry to be a bore. Terry
  • Options
    Hi Paul Sorry I have tried to answer you through a new message but failed. My transom shield is larger than yours and would make things difficult if I fitted it there, however I may be able to get it in the engine bay somewhere if I go that route but the exhaust may be a problem. Still it's one answer. Cheers Terry
  • Options
    You gota love those Honda generators! 
     Terry sounds like you found one heck of a boat, congratulations! 
    Back to the inverter, regardless of what you do, I would stay away from a little one that plugs into a power outlet (cig lighter) they are almost useless other than running something with very low amp/watt draw, ie: cell phone charger and such. 
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Hi Bruce I totally agree with you so one way or another I've got to get my money out. I have had a look at your lake it looks as though there is plenty of choice for journeys, do you have much trouble with high winds? If you would like to see my marina and river Google - Eastlands Boat Yard Hamble river Hampshire Uk. Hamble river leads down to The Solent and on to the Isle of Wight. It's very popular with International yachtsman. Nice to talk to you. Terry
  • Options
    Wow I had no idea there were that many boats in your part of the world. Looks like a great place for it! Makes our little lake seem pretty boring.
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    Hi Bruce have you looked at how to post a picture? I added some pictures of our 2nd trip at the I.o.W the weather was kind to us last Saturday mind you I bought £130 worth of petrol but happily I still had half a tank at the end. During the summer there upwards of 500 yachts competing in one race or another in the Solent. Makes navigating a b.......nightmare. Terry
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruce, what is the brand of inverter that you have there? Also, what is the wattage?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Obviously the best scenario would be to wire the inverter into the Gen set circuit if your boat is pre-wire. Mine was and that made it pretty easy. As far as mounting it in the salon, I would not recommend that. For efficiency, it's best that you get it as close to the batteries as possible, otherwise, you'll have to run some pretty thick wires from the batteries to the inverter. You should also purchase one that has a remote on/off switch. That can be wired in the salon so that you don't have to open the hatch to turn it on. I'll take some pics of my set up and post just as an fyi.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Cable Guy, it's a 2500 watt inverter from Mobile Power, I purchased it off of Ebay
    2004 250 FV