Options

Carbon Monoxide Issue When Running Genny

rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
My carbon monoxide alarm(s) are going off when I run the genny. I have three of them – all new last year. I don’t think you can be too careful with this issue. One is an identical replacement for the original which is wired to the boat. Two are battery operated, one of which has a readout. The one wired to the boat is the only one actually going off and making noise. The one with readout hasn’t been high enough to alarm but the readout says 50-90 when the issue is occurring.

I’m missing two of the three screws that hold the top on the genny. I’m trying to find replacements but that has been easy as of yet. They are about 3” long and I’m thinking they are metric. My concern is that even after I find screws and tighten the top on I will still have an issue. The exhaust should be going out the side of the hull. If there is some exhaust leaking at the genny itself, then securing the top might help but there should not be any exhaust inside the insulating cover. A secondary (and maybe related) issue is that the smaller (roughly 8” X 8”) side panel where the fuel line enters is not attached. Finally a third issue is that the bezel where exhaust exits the hull is missing part of the flange.

I plan on getting screws and securing the top. Attach the side panel and replacing the bezel. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

Post edited by rmrstlmo on

Comments

• Options
    OldDogNewTrixOldDogNewTrix Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you've got 3 areas to fix up and hopefully that will solve your problem.
    Wayne '09 340 EC
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭

The three screws should be inch thread, they are ~3" long and do not need to be that long.  The cover is only a sound shield and has nothing to do with CO nor the panel covering the fuel filter area. 

I would start by looking over the exhaust hose to the muffler, the muffler, the hose going to the thru hull and finally check the thru hull, mine on my 342 was cracked and you could only see it from outside the boat by looking in.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    BD, Thanks for the info on the sound cover.  I'm guessing the thru the hull bezel is the likely cause.  Part of the flange on the outside is missing.  See attached pic.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BD is dead on, fix that exhaust fitting for sure. Then I'd take that battery powered CO det and hold it inside the hull at the thru-hull fittting and start the genset. Feel around that fitting and others for warm air and use your sniffer too. If you get a rapid CO reading start caulking or replace parts. As was said, it may also be a rotten hose or cracked exhaust part elsewhere. None of it easy to get to I'm sure. Good luck and be safe. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl