Options

Drain plug - 250FV

JohnnyCakeJohnnyCake Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
I posted this to old forum, but will post again here to inform you.

Last year I was taking off the drain plug and noticed that the whole socket was loose. The screws were all lose and when I took them off, whole socket almost fell to floor.
I decided to change the socket and the plug to new one. I took off all the old glue and cleaned the hole properly. I used a good amount of Sikaflex glue and new screws to mount socket.
It wasn't a big job, but I concerns me why the socket was so loose. After all, it will keep the boat floating...

So, check yours before launching your boat after the winter!

Comments

• Options
    BruceBruce Member Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip!
    2004 250 FV 
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Good catch and thanks for the reminder, especially the pics. This would be a critical loss and almost certainly the cause of a sinking. When I saw this last time it caused me to check mine asap. It seems to be fine on our '04 270 but this is certainly a shot across the bow for everyone. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The plug on my 342 had the same issue, to say it was bedded/caulked at all would be stretching it.  Mine was leaking, not much but witnessed it at spring launch one year by accident as I had the engine hatch open when they put her in the water, sure enough..water coming in.  Rebedded it, sealed the hole opening through the transom, and the fasteners too.  Problem solved.  I got lucky.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    JohnnyCakeJohnnyCake Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    I forgot to mention, our 250 is build 2006